Who might we take at pick 30? (Thread closed, pls post on the 'welcome' thread)

Who do you prefer (not listed in merit order)?

• Touk Miller

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Jack Lonie

• Liam Duggan

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Hugh Goddard

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Damien Cavka

• Brayden Maynard

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Clem Smith

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Ed Vickers-Willis

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Jarrod Garlett

Votes: 25 15.7%
  • Toby McLean

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Tyler Keitel

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Connor Blakely

Votes: 33 20.8%
  • Reece McKenzie

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • Kyle Langford

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Nakia Cockatoo

Votes: 50 31.4%
  • Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • Dean Gore

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ed Langdon

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • Caleb Daniel

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For mine;

# 5 - Laverde

Am told its Laverde but a chance that has changed with Wright and we have interviewed again. One of our blokes also rates Ahern as highly as any kid in the draft so he along with De Goey and Langford would be the roughies. But again am told very keen on Laverde.

# 30 - Cavka / Blakely / Viojo / Menadue / Gore / McKenzie / McLean

Am hoping Blakely, Cavka is the one along with Viojo but I'd be really happy with any of the above. McKenzie is a rough chance especially given they have looked at Wrigth again as suggests they are interested in a fwd. Not sure he will be there and not sure I am his biggest fan. For a kid his size he should have been more dominant if he is that good.

# 48 - Bampton / Newman / Capiron / McLean

Crap shoot here but personally would be thrilled with some of these names. Capiron is very under valued I think. If they went a Cavka, Viojo at # 30 then bampton would be ideal. If they went inside mid at 30 with maybe a Blakely, Neal-Bullen or Gore then Newman, McLean, McGrath would be my preferences

So I have covered a few but my absolute nirvana would be;

# 5 - Laverde, Wright or De Goey
# 30 - Cavka or Viojo
# 48 - Bampton

if we go inside mid at 30 then

# 30 - Blakely
# 48 - Newman or McLean

Rookie Draft - heaps of players I like but would hope for blokes like Panos, Yarran, Lim, Walsh, Miller-Lewis, Moore, Watchman

What if he's better than any of those kids in the opinion of our recruiting team?

It probably comes down to who's available on the night.

For instance if any of Cavka, Blakely or Neale-Bullen is still on the table and we went with Boekhorst I'll accept it because I have to, but I'm not going to agree with it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It probably comes down to who's available on the night.

For instance if any of Cavka, Blakely or Neale-Bullen is still on the table and we went with Boekhorst I'll accept it because I have to, but I'm not going to agree with it...
So you're going to hold onto the idea that you are right and our recruiting staff is wrong.

So you're going to hold onto the idea that you are right and our recruiting staff is wrong.

Yes, to a degree. Is that difficult to understand?

From my perspective the club isn't infallible so I'll have an attitude of "I would have gone this way, but they went that way" and you move on. Despite their abundant resources there will be circumstances where the club will pull the wrong reign and us plebs will be on the money (despite our lack of resources).

A draft related instance of this was that I would have gone with Acres over Freeman last year. I'll track Acres career closely and hope that Freeman becomes a gun for us, but that doesn't mean I agreed with the selection completely. Though I definitely understood it and accepted it. Another example is Varcoe, Armstrong and White which I think were terrible moves and I never agreed with them. I accepted them sure, but I don't just sit back and say "oh well the club went that way so they're automatically correct"...

Another example is Varcoe, Armstrong and White which I think were terrible moves and I never agreed with them. I accepted them sure, but I don't just sit back and say "oh well the club went that way so they're automatically correct"...
That's a totally different point - Varcoe, Armstrong and White are AFL players, and you've seen them play enough footy to have a valid opinion of their potential value to our list.

I'm not saying that the recruiters are never wrong, but their opinions are informed, whereas for any of us punters, we're just guessing. When the club stuffs up a draft pick, and a punter is right about it, it's not because the punter knew better than the recruiters, it's that they guessed differently. There's always going to be someone who stumped for better players then the recruiters, because basically every situation is predicted by someone, so unless the recruiters get the best possible outcome, someone will have argued for a better result than the one that eventuated.

If I was in charge of list management instead of Hine, our list would be worse. I know that, and I accept that. It doesn't mean I don't have my own opinions, and that I won't think in the future "what might have been", had we drafted differently, or even that the players that I would have drafted had I been put in charge won't ever turn out better than the ones Hine drafts. However, I don't have the faith in my own (basically uninformed) opinions to actively disagree with what the professional recruiters (and high quality professionals at that) at our club have done before anything has come out in the wash.

That's a totally different point - Varcoe, Armstrong and White are AFL players, and you've seen them play enough footy to have a valid opinion of their potential value to our list.

I'm not saying that the recruiters are never wrong, but their opinions are informed, whereas for any of us punters, we're just guessing. When the club stuffs up a draft pick, and a punter is right about it, it's not because the punter knew better than the recruiters, it's that they guessed differently. There's always going to be someone who stumped for better players then the recruiters, because basically every situation is predicted by someone, so unless the recruiters get the best possible outcome, someone will have argued for a better result than the one that eventuated.

If I was in charge of list management instead of Hine, our list would be worse. I know that, and I accept that. It doesn't mean I don't have my own opinions, and that I won't think in the future "what might have been", had we drafted differently, or even that the players that I would have drafted had I been put in charge won't ever turn out better than the ones Hine drafts. However, I don't have the faith in my own (basically uninformed) opinions to actively disagree with what the professional recruiters (and high quality professionals at that) at our club have done before anything has come out in the wash.

How is it different? It's still a list decision based on availability of resources and gut instinct. As it is you have no idea how much AFL v Underage footy I watch...

It's a philosophical thing I disagree with your stance that's all.

FWIW there is no way we could possibly know how any of us would fair as the clubs list manager because we would have access to vastly different information and would make different decisions. It's getting to that position that demonstrates the point of difference and Hine himself started as one of us at one stage.

Last edited:
How is it different? It's still a list decision based on availability of resources and gut instinct. As it is you have no idea how much AFL v Underage footy I watch...

It's a philosophical thing I disagree with your stance that's all.

FWIW there is no way we could possibly know how any of us would fair as the clubs list manager because we would have access to vastly different information and would make different decisions. It's getting to that position that demonstrates the point of difference and Hine himself started as one of us at one stage...
How much u18 footy do you watch?

No that it's a real surprise being linked to a player, but the AFL website has us linked to Blaine Boekhorst, potentially at pick 30? Also mentions links between Carlton and Fremantle

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-21/matureage-draft-bolter

just watched his highlights then, impressive. has a blend of wellingham and dwyer. wellinghams speed and evasiveness from a pack and moves a bit like dwyer [ crouched over as he runs ]. the guy can kick, hits up a guy on the lead with well weighted passes, definately likes to take his opponent on which is great because it breaks up the game and creates movement all round.

if he is available at 30 and there is no one else hine rated ahead of him i say go for it. creative mids with good kicking skills who have breakaway speed is what we lack big time.

How much u18 footy do you watch?

Generally a game a week live then whatever footage I can rustle up from people I know. I'm lucky to live within walking distance of Highlands so see a fair bit of the Cannons. It depends largely on the TAC fixture though.

Ultimately I'm not sitting back and saying that I know better than a clubs recruiting team. It's more that Vinnie asked a question which I answered and he didn't seem to like the answer provided and on it goes. As all good discussions do on Bigfooty...

Generally a game a week live then whatever footage I can rustle up from people I know. I'm lucky to live within walking distance of Highlands so see a fair bit of the Cannons. It depends largely on the TAC fixture though.

Ultimately I'm not sitting back and saying that I know better than a clubs recruiting team. It's more that Vinnie asked a question which I answered and he didn't seem to like the answer provided and on it goes. As all good discussions do on Bigfooty...

How do you get Footage? and what Footage do you Get?

You Blasted our Moves during Trade Period. Did come across as you think you knew more then them

To be fair Scodog10 may have seen a fait bit of him as Swans have been on the ABC a fair bit this year so not hard to have seen 4-6 times maybe. My personal view is that he has a lot of really good attributes having watched him over a couple of years and his development is rapid but even my Swan D mates would say they think 30 is a reach. Time will tell whether someone picks him around there and whether its the right thing to have done but its bloody good fun having a view and tossing it around.

VinnieVegas is right though the depth of resources they have is amazing and the issues they debate before taking someone incredibly detailed. I understand one kid (who I rate from an amatuer observer viewpoint and is being talked up on Boards) is probably going to fall bc of an issue I dont reckon any of us would foresee. I obviously dont want to say who it is but lets say the issue might be around his being potentially to tall for a certain position and clubs are worried he will be to big which may impact some of his athletic ability down the track. Now whether it impacts his chances or not its an issue clubs are addressing before they commit to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back