News Chris Scott on Christensen

Remove this Banner Ad

As with everyone, I was really intrigued with the Christensen situation. I'd gone early and retired my Mooney jumper - replacing it with #28 after the 2011 Premiership - "This kid's gonna be the next big thing!"

I play basketball against a fairly senior AFL writer for The Age and always hit him up for the latest trade rumours or ASADA news, so while shaking hands after our most recent game, I asked "What's the situation with Christensen? I know you know! Is it gambling? Was there a Carey situation?"
He said it was none of that.
When I pushed him saying "So nothing with Tom Lonergan?" he was adamant that rumour was rubbish.

Interesting given his disappearance from the team after Round 22.

I've banged on about this a million times on here, but I speculated on this board that there was something very, very fishy about what happened late last season.

To recap, Christensen was rested in round 23. We were all shocked when he wasn't named for our most important game of the season, the QF, when there was no indication he was injured. I tweeted him when the team was announced asking if he'd be fit for our second final and he didn't reply - usually he was very good in responding to fans queries. After we lost, Scott indicated Christensen would play our semi final. Christensen arrived at training the following week and told the media he expected to train and play, and he only had 'a bit of soreness.' Again, we were surprised he wasn't named that Thursday. And only a couple of hours before the bounce the next evening Balme announced on radio Christensen was going in for major back surgery.

I'm aware he did have surgery but the rest of the story remains a mystery.

I imagine whatever off field issues he was dealing with came to a head during this time. For all we know, maybe he was fit enough to play but the coaches or leadership group didn't want to select him.

I've banged on about this a million times on here, but I speculated on this board that there was something very, very fishy about what happened late last season.

To recap, Christensen was rested in round 23. We were all shocked when he wasn't named for our most important game of the season, the QF, when there was no indication he was injured. I tweeted him when the team was announced asking if he'd be fit for our second final and he didn't reply - usually he was very good in responding to fans queries. After we lost, Scott indicated Christensen would play our semi final. Christensen arrived at training the following week and told the media he expected to train and play, and he only had 'a bit of soreness.' Again, we were surprised he wasn't named that Thursday. And only a couple of hours before the bounce the next evening Balme announced on radio Christensen was going in for major back surgery.

I imagine whatever off field issues he was dealing with came to a head during this time. For all we know, maybe he was fit enough to play but the coaches or leadership group didn't want to select him.
Exactly.

And we were told he had surgery. Do you have any evidence that he actually did?

Exactly.

And we were told he had surgery. Do you have any evidence that he actually did?

I saw an article from when Christensen started training with the Lions that mentioned he was on light duties due to recent back surgery.

But the whole story is really mysterious. I'd love to know the full story.

I've just realised there is +'ve to be taken from this whole sorry affair.

Stokes will no longer be confused with Christensen.
No,now he'll be confused with Motlop or Hartman.
Commentators aren't very smart

Exhibit A :
speaker_996.jpg

He also missed a game with a mystery illness just after he came back. I'd say the club was trying to spin their way through this a long time before the bombshell. Geelong do keep a lot of things quiet that would probably get out in other clubs. The Geelong Advertiser journalists are kept on a tight leash and Melbourne reporters don't really cover Geelong anymore.

He also missed a game with a mystery illness just after he came back. I'd say the club was trying to spin their way through this a long time before the bombshell. Geelong do keep a lot of things quiet that would probably get out in other clubs. The Geelong Advertiser journalists are kept on a tight leash and Melbourne reporters don't really cover Geelong anymore.

It's like the footy media in general. They don't want to lose the relationship they think they have with the players so they'll reveal about 1% of what they know.

We don't. So why concoct a story. Don't buy it.

We don't. So why concoct a story. Don't buy it.

So you believe everything that came from the club in terms of Christensen's mystery injury and finals omission, despite the club having said they knew about his personal issues all season after he departed?

And if there were issues earlier in the season, I think they have handled it even worse. They should have got on the front foot and told the media we want a pick in the top ten and are prepared to trade a young Premiership player for it. That way we might have controlled his departure better.

The more I think about it, Geelong really does appear a club that is just not on the top of its game across the board.

Institutional sloppiness I would say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you believe everything that came from the club in terms of Christensen's mystery injury and finals omission, despite the club having said they knew about his personal issues all season after he departed?
Try to work on stuff thatcomes from informed first-hand sources. There are enough snouts in the media putting 2+2 together and getting 5.

And if there were issues earlier in the season, I think they have handled it even worse. They should have got on the front foot and told the media we want a pick in the top ten and are prepared to trade a young Premiership player for it. That way we might have controlled his departure better.

The more I think about it, Geelong really does appear a club that is just not on the top of its game across the board.

Institutional sloppiness I would say.
Whatever the reason, the fact that the footy world first heard about Christensen leaving Geelong via his manager on morning radio was very poor PR on behalf of Geelong (if they knew about it).

Fairly obvious I would have thought. In this case Bundy,CEO, treating medical professionals .......... You really should get over your dislike of the coach and negativity. You and your partner in crime ,pear tree.

Whatever the reason, the fact that the footy world first heard about Christensen leaving Geelong was via his manager on morning radio was very poor PR on behalf of Geelong (if they knew about it).

That was one part of it. Far worse I thought was his contract situation. If a player isn't signed on the dotted line, it's only prudent to plan for their departure. If there's one lesson they absolutely need to learn from this débâcle I hope that's it.

Fairly obvious I would have thought. In this case Bundy,CEO, treating medical professionals .......... You really should get over your dislike of the coach and negativity. You and your partner in crime ,pear tree.
Are you saying that you believe that everything that comes from the football department is accurate?

Are you saying that you believe that everything that comes from the football department is accurate?
That's not what I said. Candidly though, if it came to a choice between those on a football forum with no direct involvement and someone hands on within the club it's a no brainer.

That's not what I said. Candidly though, if it came to a choice between those on a football forum with no direct involvement and someone hands on within the club it's a no brainer.
Well I like to take a cross section of sources and weight their statements accordingly.

Neil Balme said Mitch Brown was a required player with a couple of days left in trade week. I was never going to believe that.

It's horses for courses.

And what have you heard from 'someone hands on within the club' about Christensen's departure?

This isn't a local football club. It's a multi-million dollar business with tens of thousands of stakeholders - members like myself.

We are entitled to demand more than spin when a key employee walks out.

Someone will know.
I know someone who would know. Would require opening an old wound though.
Not going there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back