Sports Epic sporting matches you missed..

Remove this Banner Ad

I know my brother walked out of an Essendon final one year. Doss you might know which one, perhaps v West Coast and you came back to win it?

A lot of people around me at the Anzac Day Game in 2009 left when Collingwood were up by three goals with a few minutes left. My mate wanted to go but I told him that I wanted to see who got the Anzac Day medal. Nek minnit.

The last 10 overs of that Bevan winning runs off the last ball, NY Day, 1996.

For those of you LOL'ing, here it is...and I was nowhere to be seen.

It's weird. I can't remember if I was there at the ground or watching on TV. I have a memory of being at the ground in the Noble Stand and watching it on a screen at home :drunk: I was only 11 and I guess sometimes memories at that age can get a bit muddled.

Cadel Evans winning the Tour.

I was travelling around Australia with my family and all we could get on digital tv when we'd stop somewhere was ABC, Imparja and a few of the other commercial fta digital channels, no SBS.

When we finally lobbed in the town where we are now, no SBS in town. I had to watch the second last stage on my lap top which was good, except I could physically watch my monthly allowance running down. It ran out about 10 mins before the end of the stage.:cry:

I was at the Australian Open in January '92 to watch McEnroe v Emilio Sanchez. I had seats on the net about 10 rows back, it was stinking hot and I'd had surgery on my back 2 weeks prior. I only lasted the first 2 sets and had to leave, as I left centre court there were backpackers from everywhere milling about outside, I held up my two tickets and asked if anyone wanted them as I had to go home. No one wanted them, they must have thought it was some sort of a scam. I held them in the air to show everyone and then left them sitting on a seat. I'd assume that someone grabbed them.

I listened to the match the whole way back to Geelong and pulled up the driveway about halfway through the last set.:cry:

2006 Australia vs Japan in the World Cup...
Went to bed at half time upon dads insistence that my year 11 mid year English exam was more important so I should get a good nights sleep... Never gotten over this and I'm not even a huge soccer fan.

Had to listen to Dunaden winning the Caulfield Cup in the car as my sister was getting married (on the day - not at the time - she was yet to arrive - THANKFULLY!).

The sizeable collect as he stormed home from nowhere made for a memorable day! :)

img-1732677-1-nooooooooooo__span.jpg

My friend at work, life long Geelong supporter was on a cruise for the 07 one.
I assume the cruise was planned a year in advance when we were, you know, rubbish?

Last edited:
2006 Australia vs Japan in the World Cup...
Went to bed at half time upon dads insistence that my year 11 mid year English exam was more important so I should get a good nights sleep... Never gotten over this and I'm not even a huge soccer fan.

That reminds me, there was a Year 12 exam the day after the Uruguay game I think, that didn't attract my full attention.

The one day game where South Africa chased down 434. Remember watching Ponting destroy them and going to bed thinking no way they would get close. Boy how I and probably everyone else in the world were wrong.

This was what id come to post. Sat up late watching us pile on the runs, flicked off after out innings, I was certain that was over. Boy was I wrong. Absolutely gutted I missed it

If anyone really has to plan a big event on that day, particularly a wedding which costs a lot, always do yourself a favour with some insurance - have a sneaky grand or something on the GF draw, it generally opens at $51. Will ease the pain a bit.

While it doesn't count as missing something, all week my dad was telling me to put money on the draw, and every time he did I laughed it off. I started work about 10 minutes before the game finished (I got to work late, oops) but sure enough, there was a ****ing draw. Dad called me up to give me an "I told you so" phone call :(

Not to rub it in or nuffin... but one of the single best games I've ever seen... Even as a neutral.

Had absolutely everything.

BTW - what is it about youtube soccer videos and shocking music?

All I got to see is the highlights :(

It's not just soccer videos , I think the shocking music is in all sport videos haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to rub it in or nuffin... but one of the single best games I've ever seen... Even as a neutral.

Had absolutely everything.

BTW - what is it about youtube soccer videos and shocking music?

This music suits it well
I remember physically getting up and, pumping my fist and I think waking my parents up when he scored. Really enjoyed the days when we put those pla$tics in their place. Really hope their Arab owners piss off and they can tumble back down the ladder to where they belong.
In saying that, I was cheering for them like they were my own team at the back end of last season

- Only just half forgiven my sister for getting married on the day of the 2012 GF. Apart from that I've missed a number of NRL GF's in recent years after falling asleep, either from tiredness after work (often worked the morning of the NRL decider) or from jetlag (2011 GF, flew back home from the AFL decider).

- The 3rd game of the 1997 ARL State of Origin, game wasn't the most skillful (Queensland won breaking a 5 match losing streak, in what was Fatty Vautin's last game as coach) but was best remembered for the stink at a scrum sparked by the word "CATTLEDOG". Ask Andrew Johns about it and he'll tell you how many times Queensland hooker Jamie Goddard snotted him.

- Every World Cup (football) final except 2002. Tried to stay up but gave in. Missed the 7-1 semi as well as I think I was traveling.

Fell asleep at about the 70 min mark of Australia vs Italy at the 2006 WC. Probably not a bad thing in the end, but had to turn the radio on and listen for about 10 mins before they finally said the score.

Missed the Geelong vs. St Kilda QF in 2010 due to a basketball final. Was not upset with the umpires in the slightest since the referees in my basketball final blatantly won us the game with several blunders, so it was like the world balancing itself out :D

I've never seen the drawn 2010 GF.

Was partying in Croatia and no pub with the ability to show it was willing to open at 6am (killjoys) for two Aussies to watch it, even though we told them we'd round up more and buy stuff...

See, if I was a canny Croat publican the kuna signs would have been in my eyes as soon as you opened your mouths. Australians wanting to watch sport? At a pub?

CHA-CHING!:D

Missed the Geelong vs. St Kilda QF in 2010 due to a basketball final. Was not upset with the umpires in the slightest since the referees in my basketball final blatantly won us the game with several blunders, so it was like the world balancing itself out :D

Cameron Mooney hates this

Cameron Ling hates this

James Qwilt likes this

It's weird. I can't remember if I was there at the ground or watching on TV. I have a memory of being at the ground in the Noble Stand and watching it on a screen at home :drunk: I was only 11 and I guess sometimes memories at that age can get a bit muddled.

You were probably one of the pissed teens that was spewing up cheap wine at the Tea interval ;)...18 years on, still remember the shock of seeing that shit going on. Put me off ODI forever.

The one day game where South Africa chased down 434. Remember watching Ponting destroy them and going to bed thinking no way they would get close. Boy how I and probably everyone else in the world were wrong.
watched the lot.
Watched 1st innings with my mum , she went to bed at the break and i joked i'd eat the TV if we lost.

Been pretty lucky i've seen most of the great ( late-night ) moments.
99 wc semi was awesome , watched that with mum , bro , sis and a mate - went beserk at the end , dad came out half-awake in his undies scratchin away , look at the tv , looked at us and shuffled off without a word :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back