What is a pass mark for Essendon in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

They have a very good list. However very inconsistant.

As others have mentioned, daniher has a lot of responsility this year. After him, the forward line drops off dramatically

Making finals again will be a pass as i think they are ordinary

*Actually hope they crash and burn, sorry but Hird needs to go and a crap season could be the excuse they need

I don't disagree that he has a decent coaching record but I think there's a groupthink that his work at Essendon was much better than Hird's.

Without getting into the ASADA stuff, people's bias seems to cloud judgements and I'm yet to see any objective evidence that he coached the bombers better than Hird has.

Edit: For full disclosure's sake, I'm still not sure which coach has gotten better results for the club.

the general consensus is that bomber was pulling most of the strings and that Hird was more a figure head (or a heavily mentored coach). Hence it is really bombers work not Hirds.

Id like to see how good Hird is as a coach without the most expensive coaching panel around him to gauge his true worth.

With any luck it'll be two seasons, and long-term repercussions beyond that.

It will take a miracle from above for that to happen.

I'm still dumbfounded how many people are so gullible and still believe that if we are found guilty we will get 2 year suspensions. It would be unlikely to be even 1/4 of that. Definitely long enough to end our season though.

On topic we are just a middle of the road side who might be good enough to win a final, if we made them but we are too far behind the real contenders to be considered one ourselves.

the general consensus is that bomber was pulling most of the strings and that Hird was more a figure head (or a heavily mentored coach). Hence it is really bombers work not Hirds.

Id like to see how good Hird is as a coach without the most expensive coaching panel around him to gauge his true worth.

Then why when Bomber became coach did he make several positional and game plan?

General consensus of biased BF posters whos views are based on hatred or lies stand for nothing in the real world.

When Bomber was actually our coach he was referred to on BF as a twitchy junkie who spent his time laughing in pressers when we lost. Now he's gone he's a living legend, hence my sig and why a BF consensus aint worth s**t.

Win a final
No more fadeouts

I think this is spot on. I am interested to know which position on the ladder people think would cost Hird his job?

My impression is that if Hird has been able to keep his job through all this controversey, then Bombers could finish bottom 4 and he would still keep his job. Teflon Hird. But in reality I am sure the "In Hird We Trust" mob will quickly turn on him if he doesn't bring results.

General consensus of biased BF posters whos views are based on hatred or lies stand for nothing in the real world.

When Bomber was actually our coach he was referred to on BF as a twitchy junkie who spent his time laughing in pressers when we lost. Now he's gone he's a living legend, hence my sig and why a BF consensus aint worth s**t.
ultimately nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors - however Hird had no senior coaching experience and walked into a senior role...if you think at the least in his first couple of years he was capable of coaching on his own then why spend all that cash on the coaching panel? Bomber was apparently on big coin as an assistant....ask yourself why?. So maybe there is something more than simply 'this aint dat aint s**t' argument you presented.

ultimately nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors - however Hird had no senior coaching experience and walked into a senior role...if you think at the least in his first couple of years he was capable of coaching on his own then why spend all that cash on the coaching panel? Bomber was apparently on big coin as an assistant....ask yourself why?. So maybe there is something more than simply 'this aint dat aint s**t' argument you presented.

But that argument you just presented is very different from the one i replied to.

You said the consensus was that Bomber was pulling the strings, Hird was merely a figure head and any credit for the current players was owed to Bomber.

Which is why i pointed out BF consensus aint worth s**t in the real world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals win is a pass mark. Making top 4 and a prelim would be great but I find it hard to see us being consistent enough to get there.

I don't disagree that he has a decent coaching record but I think there's a groupthink that his work at Essendon was much better than Hird's.

Without getting into the ASADA stuff, people's bias seems to cloud judgements and I'm yet to see any objective evidence that he coached the bombers better than Hird has.

Edit: For full disclosure's sake, I'm still not sure which coach has gotten better results for the club.
I still think better performances were under Hird, than bomber. Bomber's results at the cats is clouding his results at the bombers. He didn't particularly seem as a super coach when at the helm imo, just better than middle of the road.

A pass mark would be finishing anywhere between 6 - 10 (can see them challenging for the finals with GC, Tigers, Collingwood etc), not have any players walkout at the end of season over ASADA and have the ASADA case finished and behind the club (whether they plead guilty or dispute the charges) so that they can start 2016 with a fresh slate

Last edited:
Win a final. They have the talent to push for a premiership and I think they would be a lot closer to it without the troubles of the last two years.

Also - could we keep this thread to legitimate footy discussion, and not just randomly potting the Bombers re: ASADA? There's a lot of other places to do that.

If I was looking at our age profile and list management decisions, then top 4 and a prelim would be a pass.

However, taking into account the past 10 years, I'd be overjoyed with one finals win.

Agree. I think on potential pass mark should be a prelim, goal should be the flag. They've been good enough for a few years now, but dropped away late in the season.

Overrated big time IMO decent enough team with a few gun players could finish 5-6 if things fall there way but will finish just out side the 8 IMO to many similar teams fighting for there spot

If not for the ASADA bullshit the last couple of years, I think we'd be top 4 for sure. Would love to make a September run.

If not for the ASADA bullshit the last couple of years, I think we'd be top 4 for sure. Would love to make a September run.

Don't follow your logic here. If Essendon hadn't have got the "ASADA bullshit" then all that would have happened was that Essendon would have had an extra couple of draftees on their list. Those draftees would be 19 next year and unlikely to make much of a difference for top 4 purposes. Don't think the draft penalties will be felt until at least 2016.

Unless you are saying that the drugs saga will negatively impact Essendon next season (perhaps through health issues, suspensions or negative press).

Win a final. But top 4 talk is absurd imo. Until Essendon can show they can play out an entire year then ppl can talk about top 4, let alone beyond.

Forward line is the worry. I wouldn't back their injury prone small fwds in. I think Daniher is the variable with huge upside,if he can be a presence and kick 60+ goals they can knock on the top 4's door.

Yeah solid call. FWIW I think we will be ok, Carlisle and Daniher both look the goods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back