What is a pass mark for Essendon in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of dead wood on that list. The real issue for Essendon is they've chose a terrible time for a rebuild. They won't be attracting free agents. You have a coach needing wins next year going into the final year of a contract who will be reluctant to play Kids. And to top it off the reports are this is the worst draft in years!!

O'Brien, Kavanah, Steinberg, Kommer and Pears, Brown have all been busts. Throw in the retirement plans of Chapman, Fletcher, Winderlich. The continual games given to your over 30s Stanton, Goddard, Gwilt, Watson and Cooney who aren't long term solutions anymore. In all honesty a list cull of 12 players is needed but with a weak draft and no ability to sign free agents it's gonna be a painful 3/4 years for Essendon. The deadwood on the list can't be all erased this year hence the trouble they find themselves in.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Might stuggle for a couple of seasons but I reckon for the future they will be fine. Preferably want Jake Carlisle to stay. Then they will have a pretty good spine with Carlisle, Hurley, Hooker and Daniher. Heppell is a gun.So is Travis Colyer. So is Myers when fit. Zaharakis also has talent. They can then build around that. Have some other quality young talent. Won't be as bad as some people think.

Last edited:

Essendon's percentage over its past 10 matches is 59.92%. The only worse sequence in club history happened in 1918, 57.93%.
That's pretty damning.

But although this has been an awful, awful year, i don't see things as being all doom & gloom at Essendon, funnily enough. I try to look at things objectively, and think positive. I apologise in advance if it is too "silver lining" for this thread. :p

They've got some games into some kids this year, pumped the necessary games into Daniher to fasttrack his developement under Lloyds guidance, and had a look at a fair chunk of the list.

The spine that they are developing has the potential to be very very good. Just need to plug a few holes here and there. It may be that some departures this year may assist in that.

But if you they start next year having put a full preseason through Myers, Watson, zaharakis & colyer, then all of a sudden they look a different team. Zach Merrett has come along nicely, they have some talent in Langford, laverde & Gleeson.

There have been some decisions made to recruit some older guys which hasn't been ideal, but given the saga at the club, it's not exactly surprising the club took some options which a) gave them contingency plans for the worst result, and b) gave them some handy depth if they were right on the list assessment & it did push up the ladder.

This year hurts. I'm sure bombers fans will be massively upset as expectations were pretty high. But I think this short term pain will result in a good result moving forward. It might just be a year or two before you see the full results of this years pain.

I hope that they make a decision on hird this year, either way. If he's the right man, back him in, give him an extra year, to lead the club out of this the right way. (ie, rebuild the list) It would be rather draining walking into the club with that pressure over you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back