What do you do with Shane Watson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Watson is still a better batting all rounder then we have.
Is he? Watson's averaged close to 30 for years, whereas Marsh and Henriques have averaged 50+ in first class cricket in recent times.

To me that's plenty of reason to give one of the younger guys an extended run at the expense of Watson. They are only going to get better.

Don't know why we would move Smith from 4 when it's clearly working for him.
Because he'll succeed at 3.
Disagree but only because I don't want disruptions when we go over to England. I think after the Ashes is the time to be calling time on careers, not before.
We can have disruptions when they improve the side. Clarke and Marsh for Burns and Watson, Smith 3, Clarke 4, S Marsh 5, M Marsh 6

Nah, but Watson's done batting at first drop regardless.
With you on that. I'll be surprised if we see him first drop against WI. I mentioned previously that Burns might be groomed for the spot.

Marsh only came back into the side for Clarke's injury, so it'll be interesting to see if Burns stays in the team and Mitchell Marsh recovers...

With you on that. I'll be surprised if we see him first drop against WI. I mentioned previously that Burns might be groomed for the spot.

Marsh only came back into the side for Clarke's injury, so it'll be interesting to see if Burns stays in the team and Mitchell Marsh recovers...
S Marsh has outperformed Watson this series. He'll get the gig.

S Marsh has outperformed Watson this series. He'll get the gig.
Based on his fielding he shouldn't be anywhere near an international team. His catching technique is so, so bad. Couldn't slip it, couldn't mid wicket it, and sure as hell couldn't catch it anywhere on the offside. He put down sitters looking like he tripped on a banana peel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on his fielding he shouldn't be anywhere near an international team. His catching technique is so, so bad. Couldn't slip it, couldn't mid wicket it, and sure as hell couldn't catch it anywhere on the offside. He put down sitters looking like he tripped on a banana peel.
Besides that one drop in Sydney his fielding was excellent in the 3rd and 4th tests. Saved a heap of runs.

Based on what?
Better technique, scored more runs last year in less tests, scored more runs this series in less tests, better rotation of the strike, far better conversion rate and just outperforming him

Better technique, scored more runs last year in less tests, scored more runs this series in less tests, better rotation of the strike, far better conversion rate and just outperforming him
We will most likely get a similar output from both Watson and Marsh in the batting department but Watsons bowling gives him the edge. Plus Watson is a far better slips fielder then Marsh, who has the worst slips technique I've seen for a while. And you can't say he had a better technique when he's almost played 100 first class matches and doesn't even average 40.

That 'one' drop? He dropped more than 1 catch throughout the test series. He looked like he was fielding with oven mitts on at times.
Read my post carefully. In the last two Tests his fielding was terrific bar the one dropped catch.

Read my post carefully. In the last two Tests his fielding was terrific bar the one dropped catch.
The first one it looked like he had actual hams attached to his arms, hence, ham fisted. He might have 'saved' a few, taken a catch even, but his catching is so bad it beggars belief as to why he's even selected. Who cares about saving fours or twos or singles if he puts down lobs that butterfingers mcgoo could stick.

The first one it looked like he had actual hams attached to his arms, hence, ham fisted. He might have 'saved' a few, taken a catch even, but his catching is so bad it beggars belief as to why he's even selected. Who cares about saving fours or twos or singles if he puts down lobs that butterfingers mcgoo could stick.
I prefer him behind the wicket. I'd be putting him in gully and shifting Lyon to the outfield.

I prefer him behind the wicket. I'd be putting him in gully and shifting Lyon to the outfield.
I'd be putting him on the bench behind the ropes and praying he doesn't have to come on. Then again, Sid's is pretty bad.

I know Marsh spends a bit of time in the slips, but he's no good. He'll put down more than he can catch and you generally need your best fielders at slips, point, cover and midwicket.

I'd be putting him on the bench behind the ropes and praying he doesn't have to come on. Then again, Sid's is pretty bad.

I know Marsh spends a bit of time in the slips, but he's no good. He'll put down more than he can catch and you generally need your best fielders at slips, point, cover and midwicket.
I've seen a bit of him for WA over the years and I think you're overplaying the problems with his fielding. He's fine. Probably a confidence thing, just like his batting. More mental than physical/skill based.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back