BBL Game 18 Melbourne Renegades v Adelaide Strikers 1845hrs @ Docklands Stadium

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Im pretty sure a BBL manager has not been sacked ,mid season.Happens all the time in the AFL+NRL.
If Adelaide get smacked again on NYE.Is Dizzys job in danger.Adelaide Strikers looked a really unhappy team,post match.From the top going down the list.

He pulled out pretty late I guess. Maybe if they knew earlier they might’ve made a bigger attempt

It's not easy to get a quality spinner and no one can replace Rashid but Payne doesn't deserve a game. I would of preferred we got a spinner to replace Rashid. Then played either Dogget or Thornton.

Salt was copping it for this and is now playing well for the national side. Hose is decent.

Our bowling attack is consistently bad though.

Hose plays a few good innings a tournament but for an International player he is underwhelming in my opinion. Better than George Garton though.

I think there's also something to the idea that winning breeds winning, and how breaking through for the first win can help a team get on a roll

Gades have had a few close losses this season, but an early win may have seen us with another couple of wins, and sitting with 3 wins, 2 losses & 1 NR, which looks better than 4 losses from our 6 matches

I also don't mind the captain on the sidelines - this is Maddinsons third season as captain and without looking at stats, I feel like we've lost more games with him out there compared with when he's on the sidelines and we've been captained by Finch or Sutherland

I would love to see a permanent change in our captaincy

Maddinson is a liability as a batsman and a captain. It’s no coincidence that the best batting performance in a long time (aside from the nonsense with Clarke, and Wells throwing away his wicket) comes when Finch and Maddinson are left out of the side. They chew up way too many deliveries for not enough runs.

I wouldn’t be averse to Sutherland getting the gig in a young team, backed up by a couple of experienced internationals.

QDK out early, Clarke injured and they still knocked off a decent total easily. One more decent bowler and remove the old guard and they look way more scary to other teams.

If Gillespie gets Adelaide to a bottom 2 , does he get the coaching gig for BBL 14?

Adelaide finished 7th in BBL 12, last season.
Sure he will, if he wants it. Sacking him would be like shooting Bambi, performance doesn't matter.

I don't think anyone actually cares enough to make any real change, the Strikers are a typical SA sporting franchise, at least as far as men's sport is concerned - consistently low to middling ranking, just happy to participate, not the foggiest idea how to create a successful organisation. 36ers, Reds, Redbacks, even both AFL sides - all the same.

I don't think anyone actually cares enough to make any real change, the Strikers are a typical SA sporting franchise,
I think this might be a whole thing with the BBL. There isnt enough emotional attachment to some of these clubs to demand change, coming from the supporters. As someone else posted on this thread it does feel very much like an 'old school boys club', where you know you have a contract even if you get the sack from your club this season. eg Boof Lehmann gone to Brisbane (coached Adelaide from memory), Coach Moores at the Stars (ex England coach), Chris Lynn (in AFL terms for someone of his age, he would have very unlikely ever got a contract as a footballer again at the ripe age of 32), Finch/Siddle/SOK/Brad Hogg being able to pick and choose when they wants to retire mainly being at what they did at international level.

In 2023, Ken Hinkley was under alot of pressure but to be fair to him he coached that team to a Top 6 finish which is reasonable for most teams' and the expectation will be to do better next season in 2024. Im pretty sure midway during the season, if that Port Adelaide squad were a borderline finals team or outside the 8, Hinkley wouldnt have been signed up long-term. Unfortunately, I dont think Dizzy is the man to lead Adelaide Strikers to the pinnacle. None of the import signings or signing D'Arcy Short were great signings or as supporters you would be jumping up and down about.

I think this might be a whole thing with the BBL. There isnt enough emotional attachment to some of these clubs to demand change, coming from the supporters. As someone else posted on this thread it does feel very much like an 'old school boys club', where you know you have a contract even if you get the sack from your club this season. eg Boof Lehmann gone to Brisbane (coached Adelaide from memory), Coach Moores at the Stars (ex England coach), Chris Lynn (in AFL terms for someone of his age, he would have very unlikely ever got a contract as a footballer again at the ripe age of 32), Finch/Siddle/SOK/Brad Hogg being able to pick and choose when they wants to retire mainly being at what they did at international level.

In 2023, Ken Hinkley was under alot of pressure but to be fair to him he coached that team to a Top 6 finish which is reasonable for most teams' and the expectation will be to do better next season in 2024. Im pretty sure midway during the season, if that Port Adelaide squad were a borderline finals team or outside the 8, Hinkley wouldnt have been signed up long-term. Unfortunately, I dont think Dizzy is the man to lead Adelaide Strikers to the pinnacle. None of the import signings or signing D'Arcy Short were great signings or as supporters you would be jumping up and down about.
The Scorchers and Sixers are the only teams that seem to have developed any kind of standards or winning culture. At the Strikers it's all way too fun and comfy, as long as they're getting decent crowds it's all good.

Don't get me started on Hinkley, should have been moved on years ago if they were serious about success.

Back