Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many spots up the ladder are we going?
Good one smartarse. We're both talking hypotheticals here. Get your head out of your arse for 5 seconds and realise that there's every chance that we have a lot of younger players that could potentially have break out years this year. That, plus a decent injury run could easily put us finals contention. One extra win + percentage would have put us in finals last year, so your stupid relentless negativity is unwarranted.

You're talking about the 2014 midfield v 2015 saying a fit Swan covers Beams, I don't agree. The loss of Beams cant be covered immediately. Kids will be enthisatic which is great but it doesn't make us a top 4 or maybe 8 side. The addition of Greenwood could make or break us. It was a bold choice to select him by Buckley, he hasn't got one mature recruit right to date, whether Greenwood has a great season is yet to be seen.

No doubt that Beams is a big loss but it is always easier to cover mids. With a decent injury run I can't see any reason why we will not improve and be in the mix for a finals berth.

No doubt that Beams is a big loss but it is always easier to cover mids. With a decent injury run I can't see any reason why we will not improve and be in the mix for a finals berth.
Geunie lack of experience in the middle would be my concern on making finals. Whether Swan can play well for four quarters and last all season would be a huge question. Can the younger guys that haven't debuted come in to the midfeild and not drop off towards the middle and end of season would be another concern. I suspect if we don't get off to a flyer in 2015 we could be stuck down the bottom for the year should the kids tire.

I think that people forget that Swan played 70-80% time forward / HFF.
2014 REGULAR midfield was. Pendles, Sidebottom, Beams, Ball, Blair, Mcaffer,
2015 REGULAR midfield will be. Pendles, Sidebottom, Swan, Adams, Greenwood, Blair, and I'd expect to see Broomhead in there given 3 year in the system.

so to compare. Swan vs Beams. Swan wins that battle
Ball Vs Adams. Adams wins that battle considering Ball was hampered by back.
and Greenwood vs Mccaffer. you would say greenwood.

so personally I'd say 2015 midfield without beams is and will be better

I think that people forget that Swan played 70-80% time forward / HFF.
2014 REGULAR midfield was. Pendles, Sidebottom, Beams, Ball, Blair, Mcaffer,
2015 REGULAR midfield will be. Pendles, Sidebottom, Swan, Adams, Greenwood, Blair, and I'd expect to see Broomhead in there given 3 year in the system.

so to compare. Swan vs Beams. Swan wins that battle
Ball Vs Adams. Adams wins that battle considering Ball was hampered by back.
and Greenwood vs Mccaffer. you would say greenwood.

so personally I'd say 2015 midfield without beams is and will be better

Beams is a loss no matter what spin you put on it. A class mid probably in the top 5 -10 mids in the game.
As for which "regular" midfeild we will have is yet to be seen. Injuries will come like it or not. That's footy. It's how you cover the loss of injuries that makes you a good team. We can't afford to loss anymore experience out of the middle. Should one of Pendlebury Swan maybe Greenwood go down long term would probably see us fall in to bottom 4 category.

Can we get off that flog Beams? De Goey blitzed it at the intra club just 4 days ago and here we are discussing the trade that landed him...

I personally loved his go at the contest! Yeah his numbers on face value looked good, but I think if you dig a little deeper they'll become even more impressive. For instance he would have had 10+ contested possessions and god knows how many pressure acts.

It was just an intra club hitout so you don't want to go too far with assessments, but he looks like he is always in the play!
And when you consider that one of the main worries a few of the junior watchers had was his average possession count then his 24 possessions become music to our ears.

Priddis in our midfield going in to 2015 would be huge. To suggest he isn't a gun is stupid. He is exactly what we lack next to Swan (should he stay fit) and Pendlebury.

To suggest that Priddis isn't a very good footballer would be foolish. Good thing I didn't do that.

And when you consider that one of the main worries a few of the junior watchers had was his average possession count then his 24 possessions become music to our ears.

I'll put my hand up as someone who had/ has those concerns, however Thursday went a long way to putting me at ease. If I were to guess 3-5 years ahead I'd say that he won't be effective on the outside unless used in a roaming forward role, but I could well see him having a dominant inside presence.

We're one practice match into his career so this is obviously speculation on a big scale, but it's always fun to speculate. Broomy aside, he's now the youngster I'm most excited to see develop!

I'll put my hand up as someone who had/ has those concerns, however Thursday went a long way to putting me at ease. If I were to guess 3-5 years ahead I'd say that he won't be effective on the outside unless used in a roaming forward role, but I could well see him having a dominant inside presence.

We're one practice match into his career so this is obviously speculation on a big scale, but it's always fun to speculate. Broomy aside, he's now the youngster I'm most excited to see develop!
That's interesting to hear, because 18 months ago he was regarded as an outside type. His inside game is something that he had to put a lot of work into as it didn't come naturally to him apparently.

To suggest that Priddis isn't a very good footballer would be foolish. Good thing I didn't do that.

He is a Good Footballer that has nothing Special

He is a Good Footballer that has nothing Special
Dave, he might not have special pace or skills or any of the more commonly praised attributes, but his ability to win contested ball, accumulate possessions and work his arse off every minute of every game is most certainly special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dave, he might not have special pace or skills or any of the more commonly praised attributes, but his ability to win contested ball, accumulate possessions and work his arse off every minute of every game is most certainly special.

I never said he was not hard working but his Kicking is not what I call a Strength and he been a big Possesion Winner for a long time

The Beams deal has the potential to be one of the best deals ever done, but its all only potential at the moment.

Greenwood, much improved, provides very good engine room muscle and just needs to go on with his recent good form. Caveat: one really good year in six.

De Goey, very raw but smooth mover, good decision maker, tough inside, very early days but could be a ripper, respected track watchers rate him very highly. Caveat: its only potential he has to turn that into A grade, AFL game.

Crisp, steak knives, very raw but good size and good pace and has some claims.

Oh, and on Priddis, bit like a Greg Williams or Tony Shaw for the modern era, can't run, can't jump, can't kick but, he knows where to put himself at a stoppage and then get first hands on it better than almost anyone in the competition, does it all day, week in and week out and usually dishes it out to damaging advantage.

Be Great to see his Debut in Black and White on Thursday Night

Agree Dave. Looking forward to watching him go around again. I thought he was pretty impressive in the intraclub match.

I never said he was not hard working but his Kicking is not what I call a Strength and he been a big Possesion Winner for a long time
You said he had nothing special. I am saying that his possession winning and work ethic are both very special qualities, even in comparison with other AFL footballers.

You said he had nothing special. I am saying that his possession winning and work ethic are both very special qualities, even in comparison with other AFL footballers.

Well his use of the Ball is not Top Notch so his Touches are not as good as some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back