Preview AFL NAB Challenge 1 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Tony Ireland Stadium, 3:40PM (local) Sunday 1 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I think Horlin-Smith was specifically mentioned alongside Selwood as missing this game earlier in the week. So that could be just management and he'll play the next game.
A player like GHS being 'managed' over preseason spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E to me, Partridge. I wonder if he's fully recovered from his bad back from mid 2014.

Can confirm Hartman wasn't named due to discipline issues. On his last strike, few other indiscretions that didn't hit the media.
That's sad news. It'd be a waste of talent to see him get chopped at the end of 2015 after such a promising start and what looked like a great attitude :(

On the bright side- great to hear that the club can keep some secrets from the Twits!!

:confused:
Well THAT'S different!! :D

What can I say TC - Footy starved and the bloody AFL decide to ruin my viewing experience trying to force me into Foxtel - I wont be bought :)

Actually that's not the right way to put it - it's the principle of the thing - big business, corporate greed and all that - they're not getting a red cent from me - ever!

Easy money though, DAz i know you earn big bucks but say Bates is on 75k thats big money to some

To be frank , in my opinion the Rookies are under paid. Not in comparison to me thats for sure( rather presumptive to judge ignorantly for any one else) but they are not treated in a different way to other draftees , personally Id say there should be only one list. A main one with different ways to add to it , with all draftees getting no worse than R3 money. Gees so many of them are gone in a year or two.

Meto why not let the year pan out. He has a year to show something ,he was kept for a reason but if he is unable to , the MC has shown already they are willing to bring out the Cutlass.
Id say his chances of success are low , so I hope Geelong are doing everything in a very professional way to set him up for a post football life.

I respect the post, ok! that's alright by me, I'll give it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be frank , in my opinion the Rookies are under paid. Not in comparison to me thats for sure( rather presumptive to judge ignorantly for any one else) but they are not treated in a different way to other draftees , personally Id say there should be only one list. A main one with different ways to add to it , with all draftees getting no worse than R3 money. Gees so many of them are gone in a year or two.
thats so right, but to say that they arnt paid well, is wrong, they are. Maybe they are underpaid to full list players, butthey still get good money, and to be retained over a fellow rookie when you don't play well AFL is harsh

thats so right, but to say that they arnt paid well, is wrong, they are. Maybe they are underpaid to full list players, butthey still get good money, and to be retained over a fellow rookie when you don't play well AFL is harsh

Nick Bourke showed he wasn't good enough for AFL football. The rookie list is where we can afford to take risks, and we've taken one with Bates. Bourke had limited potential, keeping a player of his standard just because he gets on the park is pointless.

Nick Bourke showed he wasn't good enough for AFL football. The rookie list is where we can afford to take risks, and we've taken one with Bates. Bourke had limited potential, keeping a player of his standard just because he gets on the park is pointless.
I agree, but how do we know what bates gives? How do we know if he can withstand afl? Hell can he even run? I suppose we have to trust the boys in charge, and that's what I'll do

We could debate good money and ordinary. Someone in Bali would say we are all on good money. Compared to an NBA player , Rookies are beggars on the street.

An average wage in Aust is X and they earn above that , its good money I guess but in a system where what they do , and what they risk , and its done a mega million dollar industry , where pay is controlled for Rookies and 1st and 2nd year draftees by the AFL , while all players on the list , who work beside you divey up 10Million dollars..... , and this for Rookies who are probably even less secure in their job.

I fell that the bottom group can get a bit more of the pie.

I haven't looked at it for a while but the last time I did a Rookie that did not play games would not be on that much anyway.

Can confirm Hartman wasn't named due to discipline issues. On his last strike, few other indiscretions that didn't hit the media.

wha-?
really?
that's really disappointing to hear if true ChookNorris, not sure what these discipline issues could entail, hopefully it's 'just' turning up late for training or somesuch, and nothing more serious ..

wha-?
really?
that's really disappointing to hear if true ChookNorris, not sure what these discipline issues could entail, hopefully it's 'just' turning up late for training or somesuch, and nothing more serious ..
it's serious enough that he will be delisted at years end if not fixed fixed.

:( yikes.
interesting, but not good news obviously.
I've held high hopes that Hartman might really jump up a level at some stage ..
Me too, maybe my favourite young player aside from my comedic love of gregson. Hopefully he pulls his head in. Or becomes good enough a player that the club tolerates it like the did for varcoe and Christensen

I have no knowledge of the Hartman stuff other than what has been in the media.

What i like to see thought is that while the club will support players thru issues ( injuries or off the field situations) there appears also to be a limit to the rope they will give.

If, and I have no reason to not believe the stuff listed here, there have been more issues, then good to see the club limit the number of chances.

Billie got his hand slapped. Caddy and Smedts were dumb and got slapped.

Varcoe and Bundy found new homes.

Hopefully, with Hartman having had one thing go public, perhaps another one or two get held back, he makes the right choices now going forward.

Im sure Catsmaninamerica has some thoughts.

Go Catters

it's serious enough that he will be delisted at years end if not fixed fixed.
Can't delist him...I have us already cycling 8-10 players if things go badly with plenty of injury prone players and old boys. Unless next years draft is as deep as 120 we could be in a pickle.

Quick back of the hand worst case guesses:
Injuries: Bates, Vardy, Menzel, Cowan, Simpson
Old: Enright, Stevie J, Rivers, HMac, Kelly, Mackie
Too cheeky: Hartman
No good: Blease

Next year: Stokes, Lonergan, Bartel

Smedts job security keeps getting better. We could have over half a squad with 0-10 games. And no real high picks because we might accidentally win the whole bloody thing this year. Madness.

My kingdom for some 23-25 year olds with 70+ games.

Edit: Forgot Mackie. We can't afford to win the flag!! Would make too perfect a retirement moment for too many players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back