Preview AFL NAB Challenge 1 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Tony Ireland Stadium, 3:40PM (local) Sunday 1 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can confirm Hartman wasn't named due to discipline issues. On his last strike, few other indiscretions that didn't hit the media.
I'm thinking Aunty Kitty might have to pop down to KP + take him in hand *wink*.
Had an inkling he was omitted for disciplinery reasons. Thanks for the advice Chook, it's disappointing when a young player has off-field issues, considering the level of discipline required to make it to AFL level. Could be his reaction to the traffic incident, which attracted more attention than needed. Hope he can pull it together + make the team, with so much potential.

To be frank , in my opinion the Rookies are under paid. Not in comparison to me thats for sure( rather presumptive to judge ignorantly for any one else) but they are not treated in a different way to other draftees , personally Id say there should be only one list. A main one with different ways to add to it , with all draftees getting no worse than R3 money. Gees so many of them are gone in a year or two.
IMO all AFL players are underpaid when you compare the earnings of other sportspeeps! Considering the training + that AFL players are amongst the most elite athletes worldwide with their required aerobic fitness, strength, agility etc. They'd outperform most other sportspeeps easily. Then consider the pain of injuries etc, it's hardly easy money.

IMO all AFL players are underpaid when you compare the earnings of other sportspeeps! Considering the training + that AFL players are amongst the most elite athletes worldwide with their required aerobic fitness, strength, agility etc. They'd outperform most other sportspeeps easily. Then consider the pain of injuries etc, it's hardly easy money.
I get your general point, Kitty, but the pay for AFL players relative to other sports simply reflects the size of it's market and the advertising revenue it can bring to TV/Media outlets that support it.It is still pretty much exclusively Australian and not even the primary sport in huge markets like NSW and Qld. With the amount of immigration in our country now and skilled workers on Temp work visas, AFL is under genuine threat from Soccer so the scenario is pretty limited for massive salary increases in the next 5-10 years. Long-term I doubt it will stray far from our shores as a viable TV sport, other than a minor novelty primarily for expats.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-02-27/friday-forecast-nab-1

The Friday Forecast (which will happen every week before a Cats game) for the Cats game on Sunday.
Adam McNicol previews the Cats vs Suns clash & adds a few talking points.
There will also be a Mighty Monday to review the cats games at the end of every weekend.
Good point to take note of - the boys are training hard, and the weather will be hot. So everyone - no panicking about our fitness levels at NAB Challenge game 1!

I get your general point, Kitty, but the pay for AFL players relative to other sports simply reflects the size of it's market and the advertising revenue it can bring to TV/Media outlets that support it.It is still pretty much exclusively Australian and not even the primary sport in huge markets like NSW and Qld. With the amount of immigration in our country now and skilled workers on Temp work visas, AFL is under genuine threat from Soccer so the scenario is pretty limited for massive salary increases in the next 5-10 years. Long-term I doubt it will stray far from our shores as a viable TV sport, other than a minor novelty primarily for expats.
Exactly witsend! My point was to simply say that AFL players aren't earning huge $$$ when you compare earnings of other sports + consider the discipline + dedication required to play at AFL level. We have a small population, consequently it doesn't translate to say the US + their NBL + NBA. Sure by comparing AFL players to the average Australian wage, they receive good $$$. But when you compare the average Australian wage to third world countries + even OECD countries, Aussies are quite well remunerated. It's all relative but in this case apples should be compared to apples :)

The Friday Forecast (which will happen every week before a Cats game) for the Cats game on Sunday.
Adam McNicol previews the Cats vs Suns clash & adds a few talking points.
There will also be a Mighty Monday to review the cats games at the end of every weekend.
Thanks for post Friday Forecast Daniel.

As someone who's not enamoured by Eade, what changes can we expect to GCS's game?

Hoping the Kolo twins jazz it up + bring a little of the Selwood brothers' grunt to the game.

Yes, sauron256 - "As Corey Enright explained to Cameron Mooney in our exclusive CatsTV interview, the players' training loads don't decrease now that the NAB Challenge has started. The amount of work they put in at Simonds Stadium on Thursday afternoon, when they were put through around 90 minutes of match simulation drills, was an example of that. So don't be concerned if a few of the boys appear to be jogging on the spot late in the game. It will simply be a combination of the immense amount of the work they have been doing during the week and the hot and humid conditions in Townsville."

"Why Scott wanted Clark" - one guess - versatility lol

A more accurate grouping of these 3 players were two players who are no longer at the club and one who is likely to join them due to offield issues... Which was my intention
That's how I read your post Chook. Thanks for the info.
The casual racist remark was uncalled for and poor form but that's just my opinion.

Bad news for Daniel McL - inside word has it that Jansen won't be playing in the first game due to workload management.

Perhaps a better chance to be there come round 1 now?
Would have thought he'd be picked to play all the praccie games in order to convince the coaches he has what it takes to be a starter in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bates is a rookie probably on the lowest rookie wage scale.

A spot yes ( rookie) but not on the senior list and hardly big money…( big AFL money)
Still clearing out he TV venom tanks are we or have you found the new voodoo doll ?:cool:

Go Catters

One of the most sensitive subject on the board is racism or the feel /smell of it. I don’t know anyone on here personally but one reads and then one makes judgements. Certain some have been made of me that I found confronting , so I assume that when we read something it may or may not always been a true reflection of the person.

For mine , meto is simply a football follower who prefers inside , big bodied , contested ball winners. Perhaps I’m wrong , but that’s the impression from what I read when he has picked the kids he wants us to draft had probably his diatribes on Varcoe. Not all players with a certain genetic background play a certain way , or for that matter people from a certain locale , so if we forget that and look at type.. Varcoe Outside player probably not his favourite type. Other may see it differently I guess.

Certainly a wrong impression can be read into a post on here , CMIA had a “discussion” over Hartman , which I put down to my fault , not being precise, being too liberal with my thoughts and too preemptive. I’m still not sure Hartman will reach the heights that CMIA thinks he will , be he has proven well beyond my original assessment of him … worthy of a spot on talent. I still hold concerns over any kid drafted from a long way back , perhaps from the non norm background..cause if they do fail , I don’t want them to be worse for the experience at Geelong. I don’t know what we do for any kid that is delisted and quickly cast aside but I hope there is some monitoring and help if required. Just last year we delisted a Rookie after 1 year. Very quick end to a dream.

Its for this reason I bring Hartman’s name up again.(with trepidation). If he has had a few issues, as ChookNorris has posted that might push him close to be considered for delisting then , again , I think we must take his prep into account. He came from a long way back. CMIA has a much better grasp of his background than I (Murray Bridge etc) but to me it was an early roll of the dice , trying to get ahead of other clubs by jumping early. And as such its encumbered on Geelong to go above and beyond . If we want to draft players who may one day be Diamonds but we pick them as rough cuts , then we must be prepared for a much greater settling period and more work and effort to help them.

I have no knowledge of what the actual off field issues that may have occurred , and I guess there are some standards that just can not be breached , but the driving incident that was reported was hardly the worst thing I have heard a player do. Gees we have kept players on the list after causing physical harm to partners and members of the public , we had some that have gone for 05 and others caught speeding. We have had players in hot water for issues relating to illegal drugs and who heaven knows what other stuff that has never been given media coverage or has never got further than speculation and rumour.

I don’t like the sound of this last strike thing. Very early for mine but again , I don’t know what the issue relates to. Some players that can be distracted and have issues in off season , can settle into the game season. One kid who we nearly brought into the club , who has had a far more traditional junior football education was yet again in trouble over the off season. It happens to lots of players. Yet once the “Game” season starts they seem to settle and channel their focus. I hope this is the case with any players we have on our list.

What are some of the things being said exactly?
People who resort to bullying on the internet are most likely timid and insecure individuals in person. It's like those rage rage idiots who tailgate in the comfort of their own car.

I put up a couple of screenshots from social media earlier this week, But TC removed them due what was being said, But some people posted saying they hope he re-injures himself & accused him of faking depression etc.

One of the most sensitive subject on the board is racism or the feel /smell of it. I don’t know anyone on here personally but one reads and then one makes judgements. Certain some have been made of me that I found confronting , so I assume that when we read something it may or may not always been a true reflection of the person.

For mine , meto is simply a football follower who prefers inside , big bodied , contested ball winners. Perhaps I’m wrong , but that’s the impression from what I read when he has picked the kids he wants us to draft had probably his diatribes on Varcoe. Not all players with a certain genetic background play a certain way , or for that matter people from a certain locale , so if we forget that and look at type.. Varcoe Outside player probably not his favourite type. Other may see it differently I guess.

Certainly a wrong impression can be read into a post on here , CMIA had a “discussion” over Hartman , which I put down to my fault , not being precise, being too liberal with my thoughts and too preemptive. I’m still not sure Hartman will reach the heights that CMIA thinks he will , be he has proven well beyond my original assessment of him … worthy of a spot on talent. I still hold concerns over any kid drafted from a long way back , perhaps from the non norm background..cause if they do fail , I don’t want them to be worse for the experience at Geelong. I don’t know what we do for any kid that is delisted and quickly cast aside but I hope there is some monitoring and help if required. Just last year we delisted a Rookie after 1 year. Very quick end to a dream.

Its for this reason I bring Hartman’s name up again.(with trepidation). If he has had a few issues, as ChookNorris has posted that might push him close to be considered for delisting then , again , I think we must take his prep into account. He came from a long way back. CMIA has a much better grasp of his background than I (Murray Bridge etc) but to me it was an early roll of the dice , trying to get ahead of other clubs by jumping early. And as such its encumbered on Geelong to go above and beyond . If we want to draft players who may one day be Diamonds but we pick them as rough cuts , then we must be prepared for a much greater settling period and more work and effort to help them.

I have no knowledge of what the actual off field issues that may have occurred , and I guess there are some standards that just can not be breached , but the driving incident that was reported was hardly the worst thing I have heard a player do. Gees we have kept players on the list after causing physical harm to partners and members of the public , we had some that have gone for 05 and others caught speeding. We have had players in hot water for issues relating to illegal drugs and who heaven knows what other stuff that has never been given media coverage or has never got further than speculation and rumour.

I don’t like the sound of this last strike thing. Very early for mine but again , I don’t know what the issue relates to. Some players that can be distracted and have issues in off season , can settle into the game season. One kid who we nearly brought into the club , who has had a far more traditional junior football education was yet again in trouble over the off season. It happens to lots of players. Yet once the “Game” season starts they seem to settle and channel their focus. I hope this is the case with any players we have on our list.
Props Turbo! That's a fantastic post!
TBH I didn't pick up on any racism, but then everyone's perceptions are different, fortunately. One thing that does spring to mind is that there are people who forget their manners, go holus bolus to savage another + voila the keyboard warrior rears their ugly head. Everyone has the right to express their opinion + if it's different to yours then at the very least have respect for another's opinion, if you'd like them to respect your opinion + your right to say it. If you wouldn't say something to someone face to face then don't say it online either. Also, have the courtesy + consideration for other posters to take fights to a PM, away from threads. So that's my two cents worth - being polite, respectful + friendly is easy + if you don't have anything nice to say, then keep quiet! Play the ball not the man + what happens on the ground stays on the ground - grudges are for losers!

BTW my rant is not pointed towards what happened in this thread, just a plea for tolerance, respect + courtesy. We're all part of the Cats family, families quarrel, but they move on, so Go Cats!!!

Great post.

I put up a couple of screenshots from social media earlier this week, But TC removed them due what was being said, But some people posted saying they hope he re-injures himself & accused him of faking depression etc.
:eek: WTF! That's appalling betchsta! The more I learn of people's pettiness or hear that sort of ignorance, the more I love my cats! (except if it's about the Poos+Wees :D) Apparently the potting is horrendous on Fox Footy Facebook Page + AFL Facebook Page :mad:

B-0mk7CVEAAEua3.jpg

#notmychristian #twintowers

I can't get over how lean and fit Hawkins is looking this year - looks in terrific shape. He has been pretty reliant on out muscling opponents since his back started giving him trouble, so I am hoping his lighter frame reduces the pain in his back and allows him to lead and to use his (once) very good leap. He will still be stronger than most defenders one on one, but if his running and jumping improves he will be near unstoppable!

I can't get over how lean and fit Hawkins is looking this year - looks in terrific shape. He has been pretty reliant on out muscling opponents since his back started giving him trouble, so I am hoping his lighter frame reduces the pain in his back and allows him to lead and to use his (once) very good leap. He will still be stronger than most defenders one on one, but if his running and jumping improves he will be near unstoppable!
I think some of his weight loss might be due to the new rule change when it comes to marking contests?
Video here -> http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-18/two-rules-tweaked-for-2015

Exactly witsend! My point was to simply say that AFL players aren't earning huge $$$ when you compare earnings of other sports + consider the discipline + dedication required to play at AFL level. We have a small population, consequently it doesn't translate to say the US + their NBL + NBA. Sure by comparing AFL players to the average Australian wage, they receive good $$$. But when you compare the average Australian wage to third world countries + even OECD countries, Aussies are quite well remunerated. It's all relative but in this case apples should be compared to apples :)
I think you have to also consider two things:
1. Only a small percentage of players in big-money sports get the really big money.
2. The players getting the massive dollars in the NBA, English premier league, etc are drawn from a much bigger pool, and are, in all likelihood, significantly more gifted than the average AFL player.

Looking at the English Premier League...
England has more than 60 million people and struggles to contribute more than a third of the players to their own top league. The rest are cherry-picked from Europe, Africa and South America. How many current AFL players would make that grade, assuming they were raised as soccer kids? I reckon you might be able to make a case for about 5 players.

For the US sports, they are drawn from a population of almost 300 million.

I know we love our guys and may think they are underpaid, but if you want apples to apples then try comparing them to basketball or soccer salaries a rung or two beneath the top level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back