Luke Hodge v Chris Judd

Who would you pick first?

• Luke Hodge

Votes: 218 37.8%
  • Chris Judd

Votes: 359 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon you're stuck on the idea of foot skills here. Judd has his own skill set, which has contributed to him being the better player over the journey.
No. Not just footskills. I've already gone through it.

Hodge is a more skilled and versatile player than Judd, it's just that Judd's trick is a very good one(inside midfielder with breakaway pace).

Hodge's skill level exceeds Judd's.

Judd's main skill is winning the inside ball and breaking away from a pack. He is a line breaker. He is not what I would describe as an overly great kick, he's not a particularly good mark, average 1 on 1, and not particularly versatile.

Not sure how, anyone could rate Judd as having a higher skill level than Hodge, considering his ability to play anywhere on the ground and be a dominant player.

Just stop Echols :p
Your embarrassing yourself mate!

Judd is an average one-on-one footballer? Are you serious?

That's all he does is beat his opponent and has done since his very first season of league football. He's also had a tag throughout most of his career and has still beaten them.
One of the all time greatest footballers and you've obviously missed most of his career for whatever personal reasons.

Just stop Echols :p
Your embarrassing yourself mate!

Judd is an average one-on-one footballer? Are you serious?

That's all he does is beat his opponent and has done since his very first season of league football. He's also had a tag throughout most of his career and has still beaten them.
One of the all time greatest footballers and you've obviously missed most of his career for whatever personal reasons.

You've posted a highlights package, and completely misunderstood what I meant by 1on1.

You don't see Judd one out with an opponent to beat in the back half, ala Hodge.

Judd is a great footballer, but he's not more skilled than Hodge.

Hodge is a more skilled and versatile player than Judd, it's just that Judd's trick is a very good one(inside midfielder with breakaway pace).

More versatile, not that Judd has ever been required to try his hand in defense, but arguable on the skills. Better at some skills, not as good at others. Your "inside midfielder with breakaway pace" assessment is just a reduction of what has made Judd such a great player though. They're two things he excels at, but obviously if that was all there was too him, he wouldn't have been as great as he has been.

You don't see Judd one out with an opponent to beat in the back half, ala Hodge.

Of course not. He doesn't play there. He's too busy beating his opponents all over the ground, mostly when their only intention is to stop him getting the ball.

Not sure why you're rating one above the other. I played mid and HB in my footy days and being an effective midfielder, let alone a damaging one, with someone trying to shut you down was a s**t load more difficult than shutting down your man off a HBF.

I just spent some time looking at Judd highlights on youtube. Damn, like it or not, he's got some skills the boy does.

Too bad for Hodge that Judd's 'trick' is in fact so good that it makes him a better player, despite Hodge being more skilful and more versatile, eh?

Or were you actually trying to be really subtle with your phrasing and imply that Hodge is better because Judd just has one trick?

Too bad for Hodge that Judd's 'trick' is in fact so good that it makes him a better player, despite Hodge being more skilful and more versatile, eh?
I doubt he'd care.

Of course he wouldn't. I was simply calling you out on your amusingly conspicuous attempt to imply that Judd is one-dimensional.
:drunk: That's not what I was saying at all.

One things for certain

You'd be arguing for a different bloke

Yeah nah. You don't see me arguing that Judd's been a better footballer than Ablett; for one simple reason, he hasn't.

It's the same with Hodge. He's simply not been as good a footballer as Judd has.

And tbh, I reckon Judd's been closer to Ablett than Hodge is to Judd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate Judd and even more, I hate Carlton. With that said, I am genuinely embarrassed for those arguing that Hodge is better.

7 years ago

And 6 years ago, and 5 years ago, and 4 years ago, even probably 3 years ago. Might even be again this year if he can stay fit, who knows. Overall, he's just a better footballer. There's no shame in not being as good as Judd, not many from this era have been over the course of his career. It's not an insult.

I think you just hate Luke Hodge mate., judging by the effort your putting in in every thread with his name in the title.
Apparently if you don't think Hodge is better than Don Bradman you are a "hodge hater"

Apparently if you don't think Hodge is better than Don Bradman you are a "hodge hater"
No not really.

But if your not affiliated with Hawthorn or the comparison team, yet your in every Hodge thread obsessively and constantly comparing him to players clearly inferior then yeah, you are.

He's a HOF lock, so your biased efforts will be in vain.

No not really.

But if your not affiliated with Hawthorn or the comparison team, yet your in every Hodge thread obsessively and constantly comparing him to players clearly inferior then yeah, you are.

He's a HOF lock, so your biased efforts will be in vain.
It's not obsessive considering that at the time of my posting the top 3 threads on the polls are Luke Hodge v X. It's also not obsessive to disagree with the view that Luke Hodge is better than Chris Judd, Sam Mitchell or Michael Voss. At the moment there are deluded Hawks supporters dominating this board, making anyone who thinks Hodge is not better than Mandela out to be criminals.

Also, I argue that Hodge is overrated because of the players he is compared to. I don't know how being a lock for HOF enters into this, to bring it up is absurd.

Last edited:
It's not obsessive considering that at the time of my posting the top 3 threads on the polls are Luke Hodge v X. It's also not obsessive to disagree with the view that Luke Hodge is better than Chris Judd, Sam Mitchell or Michael Voss. At the moment there are deluded Hawks supporters dominating this board, making anyone who thinks Hodge is not better than Mendella out to be criminals.

Also, I argue that Hodge is overrated because of the players he is compared to. I don't know how being a lock for HOF enters into this, to bring it up is absurd.
So true. I might make a poll, hodge vs fyfe pendlebury ablett and selwood. The hawks supporters would still find some excuse as to why theyd have hodge over them.

It's not obsessive considering that at the time of my posting the top 3 threads on the polls are Luke Hodge v X. It's also not obsessive to disagree with the view that Luke Hodge is better than Chris Judd, Sam Mitchell or Michael Voss. At the moment there are deluded Hawks supporters dominating this board, making anyone who thinks Hodge is not better than Mendella out to be criminals.

This post gets so many things right. You can't compare Hodge to players clearly better than him and then whinge that people are underrating him. You can't start a bunch of unbalanced "Hodge versus ..." threads and then claim obsession when people post in each of them; I had one Hawk poster saying I was obsessed with Hodge for posting in a thread about Judd, a player from my own club.

It's 2008 all over again on BF, Hawk posters seem to lose perspective and not handle success as graciously as say, Geelong supporters, which is strange considering the Hawks basically the most successful club of the last 30 odd years. Hell, even Collingwood posters didn't carry on after winning their flag and dominating the following season, which took me by surprise.

I agree Hodge is a HOF lock, but one does wonder. I mean, I wouldn't have been thinking that after 2012 and he's not exactly set the world on fire as a player in that time. I suspect he'll get his HOF nod more on the basis of his premiership captaincy and NS medals than on career performance. Which is perfectly fine, so long as one isn't mistaken with the other.

Back