Luke Hodge v Chris Judd

Who would you pick first?

• Luke Hodge

Votes: 218 37.8%
  • Chris Judd

Votes: 359 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd wins you games. Hodge wins you flags.
That's just some poetic thing footy traffics love to say. Teams win you flags. When has a solo effort won a flag? Ablett in 89 came very close and besides that the better team on the day always won, never has an individual dragged his team over the line in the last day in the season.

That's just some poetic thing footy traffics love to say. Teams win you flags. When has a solo effort won a flag? Ablett in 89 came very close and besides that the better team on the day always won, never has an individual dragged his team over the line in the last day in the season.

Wouldn't have won 2008 without Hodge repelling everything that is for sure but yes it's just a footy cliche.

Judd's peak at West Coast was enormous. Hodges best football doesn't come close to it. For consistency over career it's Hodge just.

Unfortunate Judd couldn't quite pull us deeper into the finals but he did his best. Give it to him just.

In 2008, we lost Croad at half time, and Geelong had 60+ inside 50's, leaving us without a key defender. Hodge had his hand on everything that day.

Without him we would have almost certainly lost.

Wouldn't have won 2008 without Hodge repelling everything that is for sure but yes it's just a footy cliche.
May not have won without Dew. Like I said no one player wins the flag, every GF there will be 3-5 players you wouldn't win without, unless it's the 07 GF in which Geelong could have rested their best 5.
In 2008, we lost Croad at half time, and Geelong had 60+ inside 50's, leaving us without a key defender. Hodge had his hand on everything that day.

Without him we would have almost certainly lost.
I know what you are saying but he was a contributing factor for the win, not the reason for the win. Geelongs kicking for goal, cameos by Riolo and Dew, Ellis playing the game of his life, these all were very important for a win. I rate Goddards 2010 GF probably the best since Simon Blacks, yet his team lost and his teammate got the Norm Smith. A player will never win the flag, it's an insult to a flag winning team to suggest so IMO.

Judd much more skilled. Would take hodge in my team first, the ability to lift players around you to play better is undervalued. Judd put his team mates in awe but rarely rallied them. A bit like selwood it's hodge's biggest trait, these blokes breed success in a playing group.

Judd is the second best midfielder of the last 20 years (in my opinion). Hodge is a good leader but nowhere near judds level of skill

There is no comparison.
I couldn't even entertain a comparison between these 2 players.
In his prime Judd was just so many levels above Hodge, that I just cannot do a serious comparison.
I'd compare Hodge with someone like Bartel, solid player and a good leader - but no champion.

There is no comparison.
In his prime Judd was just so many levels above Hodge, that I just cannot do a serious comparison.
I'd compare Hodge with someone like Bartel, solid player and a good leader - but no champion.
So true. Judd is the closest to ablett out of any player in the last 30 years. Gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no comparison.
So many levels above? ? Cmon mate.

His 2004 was better than Hodges best year but don't blow it out of proportion.

Judd is the second best midfielder of the last 20 years (in my opinion). Hodge is a good leader but nowhere near judds level of skill
Hodge's skill level exceeds Judd's.

Judd's main skill is winning the inside ball and breaking away from a pack. He is a line breaker. He is not what I would describe as an overly great kick, he's not a particularly good mark, average 1 on 1, and not particularly versatile.

Not sure how, anyone could rate Judd as having a higher skill level than Hodge, considering his ability to play anywhere on the ground and be a dominant player.

Aussie Rules requires many skills and Judd's kitty is packed with em; hence why he's been the best of his era bar Ablett (which is saying something). You can call him a "line breaker", but hey, there's plenty of those in the game and they don't come near Judd as a player, so I'd say he suffers by this description. Overall, I'd say Hodge's foot skills and spoiling skills are better, but while Judd handballs and kicks "to space" sometimes, something haters focus on, his other 20 odd disposals can be really damaging. No surprise a few years ago to see him well out in front with goal assists. Even last year, in the games he played he was by average second in the league for goals scored from his clearances. He doesn't just "win the ball", he does stuff with it. This is a testament to the skill of the player beyond just breaking lines or clearing the ball. I'm not surprised to see someone rate him more highly skilled than Hodge.

Aussie Rules requires many skills and Judd's kitty is packed with em; hence why he's been the best of his era bar Ablett (which is saying something). You can call him a "line breaker", but hey, there's plenty of those in the game and they don't come near Judd as a player, so I'd say he suffers by this description. Overall, I'd say Hodge's foot skills and spoiling skills are better, but while Judd handballs and kicks "to space" sometimes, something haters focus on, his other 20 odd disposals can be really damaging. No surprise a few years ago to see him well out in front with goal assists. Even last year, in the games he played he was by average second in the league for goals scored from his clearances. He doesn't just "win the ball", he does stuff with it. This is a testament to the skill of the player beyond just breaking lines or clearing the ball. I'm not surprised to see someone rate him more highly skilled than Hodge.
I am not surprised either, just as I'm not surprised to read rubbish like "Hodge never plays on a man".

Judd's main skill is winning the inside ball and breaking away from a pack. He is a line breaker. He is not what I would describe as an overly great kick, he's not a particularly good mark, average 1 on 1, and not particularly versatile.

Not sure how, anyone could rate Judd as having a higher skill level than Hodge, considering his ability to play anywhere on the ground and be a dominant player.

Plus he has 2 norm smith's and 3 premiership medals around his neck. Not to mention a better looking wife :D.

What has Judd done since coming to Carlton ? I don't even see him doing Visy ambassadorial work these days.

Back