Luke Hodge v Chris Judd

Who would you pick first?

• Luke Hodge

Votes: 218 37.8%
  • Chris Judd

Votes: 359 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's face it. My post was considered sound or well balanced because I said Judd was a better player but would still take Hodge first because as a Hawk supporter, who wouldn't....he's been everything we could want.

Yes. You chose Hodge and I thought your reasoning was sound. No matter how you want to spin this, it's a prime example that your accusation - "I'm yet to see a discussion/debate involving you or one of your players that you've ever thought the other side to the discussion had a valid opinion." - was false.

We had to look no further than this thread for it to be proven wrong. So abandon the pissweak play the poster angle and stick on topic.

However, any post that isn't prefaced with "as a Hawk" is basically summarily dismissed because in your opinion "it makes no sense whatsoever to want Hodge over Judd", however some would, and they aren't all Hawk supporters.

If you're going to try and represent my standpoint, at least refrain from simplicities and exaggeration - surely you're better than that MinerBoy. People are welcome to choose Hodge all they want, but their reasoning should make sense. Hodge being a better player, or being a better finals player are not reasons that make sense, so don't kick up if I chime in with comments that reflect such. It would be no different if it was a Hodge/Bartel thread, or if a poster was choosing Judd on the basis that he's been a great finals player; in any case, it would be flawed reasoning.

Their reasons have made sense. You disagree with them. That's not flawed. That's your inability to accept a different opinion.
His biggest problem apart from his obvious Hawk envy is that he thinks anyone with a different opinion to him is always wrong.

You are wasting your time, FFS the dude rates Rod Ashman ahead of Johnny Platten. :eek:

Their reasons have made sense. You disagree with them. That's not flawed. That's your inability to accept a different opinion.

Does the irony not escape you that it's my opinion the reasoning is flawed and you can't accept it?

Look whatever. I've outlined why that reasoning doesn't make sense. Claude gets it; you don't. So be it. Just don't come at me with the whole it's my opinion so it can't be wrong crap. That's the bastion of idiots.

Same as always.

If the Hawks were to have the pick again knowing things would pan out exactly the same then they take Hodge.

Any other Victorian club would take Judd (knowing he wanted to come back to Melbourne so yuou would not lose him like WC did)

Interstate clubs would weigh the options, would Judd leave like he did? Would Hodge leave to go home? I feel you go with the better player in that case and the better player has been Judd though I could see some teams taking Hodge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Judds best was better @ West Coast than Hodges best. However I will argue forever that Judd's time at Carlton he had never got anywhere near that level, and was massively overrated, despite the accolades. The fact that Judd was lucky to get into the AA team, yet won the brownlow is evidence of this. Not hard to stand out in that Carlton team of that time, and if Hodge was in that team he would have been hands down Carlton's standout player too.

Also the thing that no Carlton supporter seems to take into account is versatility and the fact that having Hodge on the ground is as close to having your coach on there as can be. Who's to say a dominant game from Judd in the middle is better than a dominant game from Hodge in defence?

Carlton supporters like MK will try to play down Hodge's achievements but the poll result is probably accurate @ 44%-56%. Plenty of people paid to give their opinions in football have said that based on the entire package they would pick Hodge. Judd's best @ west coast was phenomenal, but Hodge brings more to the table than your average comparison and you have to take it into account. The question was who would you pick.

Judds best was better @ West Coast than Hodges best. However I will argue forever that Judd's time at Carlton he had never got anywhere near that level, and was massively overrated, despite the accolades. The fact that Judd was lucky to get into the AA team, yet won the brownlow is evidence of this. Not hard to stand out in that Carlton team of that time, and if Hodge was in that team he would have been hands down Carlton's standout player too.

Also the thing that no Carlton supporter seems to take into account is versatility and the fact that having Hodge on the ground is as close to having your coach on there as can be. Who's to say a dominant game from Judd in the middle is better than a dominant game from Hodge in defence?

Carlton supporters like MK will try to play down Hodge's achievements but the poll result is probably accurate @ 44%-56%. Plenty of people paid to give their opinions in football have said that based on the entire package they would pick Hodge. Judd's best @ west coast was phenomenal, but Hodge brings more to the table than your average comparison and you have to take it into account. The question was who would you pick.

You can flip that and say would Hodge be as good having to carry his team on field? (something he has never had to do).
People talk about accolades and grand finals...one played in a better team so that would be expected.

Judd brought more off field than any comparison could take into account - he also on field dragged the team over the line on more than enough occasions.

These polls are pointless unless neutrals vote. Hawks will vote hodge and blues will vote Judd.

You can flip that and say would Hodge be as good having to carry his team on field? (something he has never had to do).
People talk about accolades and grand finals...one played in a better team so that would be expected.

Judd brought more off field than any comparison could take into account - he also on field dragged the team over the line on more than enough occasions.

These polls are pointless unless neutrals vote. Hawks will vote hodge and blues will vote Judd.
Eagles in 05-06 were a fantastic team and unlucky to have 2 premierships

Hawthorn were pretty terrible in 2010. Hodge carried us for the whole season. Hodge has carried us that many times, especially when he was younger before our success.

People only talk so much about Judd doing it because they needed a new reason to froth over him.

Remember the whole "Judd changed his gamestyle from outside to inside when he went to Carlton" routine ? Go look at his stats @ West Coast. Similar amounts of Clearances and Contested possessions. The only thing that happened was that he lost his outside ability, so this myth was made up.

Judd is obviously a seriously good footballer, especially @ west coast, but he is one of the most over hyped and over exaggerated players I have seen. Especially his Carlton form.

What's not to get? Two blokes who can't accept another's opinion bitching that he doesn't accept other's opinions? Pathetic!

I was the one saying there are different opinions, and that is reasonable and acceptable, including yours. You're the one who stated the other opinions are wrong - based on flawed reasoning. Even though that reasoning has been shown to be perfectly fine.

Interstate clubs would weigh the options, would Judd leave like he did? Would Hodge leave to go home? I feel you go with the better player in that case and the better player has been Judd though I could see some teams taking Hodge.

Pretty much what I've said all along.

I was the one saying there are different opinions, and that is reasonable and acceptable, including yours. You're the one who stated the other opinions are wrong - based on flawed reasoning. Even though that reasoning has been shown to be perfectly fine.

So if I said I chose Judd because of his versatility, would you consider that sound reasoning?

I've never said anyone's opinion is wrong. This thread is about which player you would prefer. If you prefer one player over the other and nominate that player, then yahoo, you've got the right answer. The only way you could be wrong is if you prefer one player over the other and then nominate the other o_O

Back