Has the bubble burst?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's cute how people that don't watch us play just rehash the media line of no depth, without realising that our reserves team nearly won the SANFL grand final last year and have started this year with a smashing win, where we had 5 players playing (i.e. not in our current AFL side) that have played AFL finals before (Young, Moore, Colquhoun, Logan, O'Shea), along with AFL standard players in Krakouer, Stewart, and Mitchell who at the very least can come straight into the side and have some impact.

It has only taken two losses against two of last years top four teams for people to start thinking the season is over but people forget we lost against them both in the home and away season last year and still had a good year!

The minute the Club, players, and supporters stop thinking because something happened last year it means similar will this year we might actually be able to start this year, cause at the moment we are still stuck somewhere far away from now.

We will win when the coaching panel stops playing tactics, when the players stop thinking we are top 4 certainties, and someone has a chat with a handful of our players about some unforgivable soft efforts that seem to go largely unspoken of.

You know you're in trouble when losses are spoken of as 'good efforts'.

Season isn't over but it hasn't started for us as yet. That's our problem and without an urgent 'jump start' it won't be long before the season is too far in front of us to do anything meaningful about it.

We should be worried. Still hopeful but worried too - something is not right.

I think it's cute how people that don't watch us play just rehash the media line of no depth, without realising that our reserves team nearly won the SANFL grand final last year and have started this year with a smashing win, where we had 5 players playing (i.e. not in our current AFL side) that have played AFL finals before (Young, Moore, Colquhoun, Logan, O'Shea), along with AFL standard players in Krakouer, Stewart, and Mitchell who at the very least can come straight into the side and have some impact.
They are partially right as we lack depth in the ruck and our proven KPFs are not getting younger.
They are wrong wrt other positions.

He did make an interesting point though, in the last 16 games, Port has won 6 of them (7 wins from 19 games if you include NAB)- I haven't personally double checked this stat.

Firstly, nobody includes NAB games.

Secondly, included in that 16 games are two massive finals wins, and one prelim final loss by less than a goal (in which we had 7 more scoring shots).
The average losing margin of those 10 games is 14.7 points, while 3 of those we had more scoring shots. Yes, bad kicking is bad football, but you've got to look at the performance of the team in those games rather than just the result if you want to talk about the current form of Port.

Thirdly, why the sample size of 16 games? At this same point (rnd 2) last year Sydney were 6 losses from 7 games, while we are currently 4 losses from our last 7 games.

Show me a team that does have great depth in key position stocks.
Didn't say anything about other teams, only about us.

Our lack of a break glass in the ruck has already cost us and the sad part is that we've known about it for years.

Were Port supporters offering Crows fans with advice after round 2 2013?

I didn't realize this board was like the Essendon board where opposition support
Firstly, nobody includes NAB games.

Secondly, included in that 16 games are two massive finals wins, and one prelim final loss by less than a goal (in which we had 7 more scoring shots).
The average losing margin of those 10 games is 14.7 points, while 3 of those we had more scoring shots. Yes, bad kicking is bad football, but you've got to look at the performance of the team in those games rather than just the result if you want to talk about the current form of Port.

Thirdly, why the sample size of 16 games? At this same point (rnd 2) last year Sydney were 6 losses from 7 games, while we are currently 4 losses from our last 7 games.

Good points

Redden was our break glass in ruck. I dont think anyone would have predicted he'd have no hitouts in a half of footy. Everyone was super excited to have him back in the team on Thursday.

Redden was our break glass in ruck. I dont think anyone would have predicted he'd have no hitouts in a half of footy. Everyone was super excited to have him back in the team on Thursday.
Not sure he was meant to be a break glass in the first half of the season.
Wrt Lobbe and Redden unfortunately the number of times where either one or the other has been injured is greater than when they have both been available.
That is a guess but would be surprised if wrong.

I bagged him because he went missing for the last 2 years and he was trolling and posting stuff right when emotions were raw, hopefully I have at least been more respectful of being on a opposition board. The points he raised regarding Ports extended form line warrant discussion.
So in one sentence he's a troll, the next he warrants discussion. I'm not really bothered, but make your mind up. The only reason i'm challenging you is because i remember you as one of the biggest Port trolls on Bay13 back in the day.

We're in the rare position now of starting our season without our first choice ruckman, but at worst we still have a fully fit Ryder to pick up the slack. Where do Sydeny go if Pyke goes down? Where do Adelaide go if Jacobs falls to injury? Our ruck stocks aren't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your knowledge of our list is as good as your knowledge of Sydney's 2014 fixturing I see.

Well, when you lost your 2 key defenders last year, you lost however many in a row.

And this year without Lobbe, you be 0-2.

The point I was trying to make is that you could be 1-4, 0-5 and still recover to make the top 6.

So in one sentence he's a troll, the next he warrants discussion. I'm not really bothered, but make your mind up. The only reason i'm challenging you is because i remember you as one of the biggest Port trolls on Bay13 back in the day.

The bay is the bay. He is a troll but the point he made as part of the troll is an interesting observation. Everyone pretends they can predict where teams will go next but in reality we are more than often surprised regardless of how much analysis. I agree you can twist the Port form line by selectively quoting whatever you like (16 games, or the finals or other) to either convince yourself that port are on the up/down.

Anyway I think by now I am intruding so I am going to bow out. Please don't mess my tips for the 3rd week in a row :mad:

We're in the rare position now of starting our season without our first choice ruckman, but at worst we still have a fully fit Ryder to pick up the slack. Where do Sydeny go if Pyke goes down? Where do Adelaide go if Jacobs falls to injury? Our ruck stocks aren't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be.
We'd seriously be stuffed now without Ryder. Already recruit of the year. We don't even have Renouf to fall back on, no disrespect to Redden, but he is that far off the pace at the moment it's frightening.

We'd seriously be stuffed now without Ryder. Already recruit of the year. We don't even have Renouf to fall back on, no disrespect to Redden, but he is that far off the pace at the moment it's frightening.

And a lot of other teams would be stuffed without their first choice ruckman, let alone his back-up.

Well, when you lost your 2 key defenders last year, you lost however many in a row.

And this year without Lobbe, you be 0-2.

The point I was trying to make is that you could be 1-4, 0-5 and still recover to make the top 6.

piratesarecool4.gif

North have lost every game this year when Ben Brown hasn't played, therefore Brown is North's only good player and they will lose every single game he doesn't play.
#lolnorf

#nevertearupourtarps

You need to relax, you are certainties this week!
Nth Melbourne supporters all of a sudden showing up, and saying we don't need to worry. We are certainties. As if we don't know our own club o_O

Remind me of why i hate Nth Melbourne again.

Didn't say anything about other teams, only about us.

Our lack of a break glass in the ruck has already cost us and the sad part is that we've known about it for years.

If Sam Jacobs misses with 3rd degree sunburns who is Adelaide's ruck?

Romano Negri?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back