Has the bubble burst?

Remove this Banner Ad

Redden was our break glass in ruck. I dont think anyone would have predicted he'd have no hitouts in a half of footy. Everyone was super excited to have him back in the team on Thursday.

I wasn't expecting much from him this year. He is still adjusting and it will take time, the early contact from pike threw him that's for sure

If Sam Jacobs misses with 3rd degree sunburns who is Adelaide's ruck?

Romano Negri?
Big Hugo? :D

Didn't they did get one of those spare Hawthorn rucks we were supposed to be interested in?

But that is besides the point, I know the game has evolved and I'm not suggesting to go back to having 6 on our list including Primus, Lade and Brogan but we've had the bare minimum with at least one of them injured for quite a while.

For mine we could easily have an experienced back up on our rookie list as nowadays you are able to have older players in there.

Didn't they did get one of those spare Hawthorn rucks we were supposed to be interested in?

But that is besides the point, I know the game has evolved and I'm not suggesting to go back to having 6 on our list including Primus, Lade and Brogan but we've had the bare minimum with at least one of them injured for quite a while.

For mine we could easily have an experienced back up on our rookie list as nowadays you are able to have older players in there.

If Ryder (ASADA) and Redden (LTI) were matchfit this wouldn't be an issue - and as it was Lobbe was raring to go until jagging his quad in the week the real stuff was due to start.

The way footy is now if anyone's primary ruckman goes down it leaves a gaping hole, it's just that we've happened to have the planets align to our detriment. Chuck in a laughably difficult early draw and we're getting pounded.

Just one of those things that Luke Lowden or Baulderstone Baulderstone-Baulderstone wouldn't have alleviated #draftmeiklejohn!!11

Dunno. We did ok against Freo with Renouf.

Luke Lowden has an Achilles injury that's expected to keep him out for another 5-6 weeks.
Now, about that ruck depth....

Renouf was smashed. We looked good when he was subbed out and Trengove took over the ruck duties.
Against a tired Sandilands.

Renouf's rucking and field play was awful. We could have just as easily employed the services of Mitch Harvey to crash into him at bounces for 2 or 3 quarters.
afaik he did what he was asked to do, but enough about that me thinks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crap thread. Two losses FFS. Come see me if we're 0-5 and we'll talk then.

Same ******s you don't hear from for 6 months come and post when we start losing.
It is pathetic how cow scum have a little cheer because we happen to lose our first two games with them having a particularly soft draw. Our draw really opens up after round four so I don't think we will be hearing from them much after that.

As for a NM supporter mentioning tarps. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Hey guys, long time Port fan here and have been an occasional bigfooty reader for a couple of years. I’ve always thought about making an account, but just never got around to do doing it lol but after seeing this comment, I felt the need to respond.

Well, when you lost your 2 key defenders last year, you lost however many in a row.

And this year without Lobbe, you be 0-2.

The point I was trying to make is that you could be 1-4, 0-5 and still recover to make the top 6.

I’ve seen and heard soooo many opposition fans and media people say that our defence is weak when Carlile and Trengove are out, and their absence was the main reason we had that form slump mid-late last year. WRONG. Did these people actually watch the games during that time? I get so angry when I see/hear people say that! This was the last straw lol

Carlile and Trengove missed 3 games during that down spell – Essendon, Richmond and Melbourne. The only game we got exposed without them was Richmond at Etihad. Against Essendon and Melbourne however, our midfield, forward line and all round skills were putrid, that’s why we played so bad. Against Essendon we conceded a whopping 62 points and vs Melbourne we gave up a whole 69 pts!! It’s not like we gave up massive scores during that period, our defence coped ok with Jonas and Hombsch as the keys. Like I said, our skills were just horrendous at that time, and our midfield and forwards couldn’t get anything going (guys like Ebert, Polec and Wingard just hit a wall in those rounds). I remember the Melbourne game so clearly, I couldn’t believe some of the unforced errors the boys were making, it was under 10’s stuff. NOTHING TO DO WITH TRENGOVE AND CARLILE NOT PLAYING.

Also, Carlile returned against Collingwood (I flew over for this one, horrible effort), and that game we lost by 6 pts. But we only conceded 76 pts, the reason we lost was because WE ONLY SCORED 70! We lost once again because our midfield got smashed and our forward line was all out of whack, just like it had been for the 3 games prior to this one.

Now I’m not saying we didn’t miss them at all during that mid-late season slump last year and obviously we are a better team when they are both playing, but surely most teams won’t be as a strong when they’re missing their 2 key defenders? Imagine Geelong without Lonergan and Taylor? Or the Crows without Talia? Or Sydney without Grundy and Richards? And we saw how the Dockers struggled late last year when McPharlin and Johnson were out.

So yeah, for those people saying our rough patch last year was solely due to Carlile and Trengove being out, you’re flat out wrong. It truly cost us in just one game (vs Richmond).

Sorry for the long post everyone, but I feel better now that this is finally off my chest!!

Hey guys, long time Port fan here and have been an occasional bigfooty reader for a couple of years. I’ve always thought about making an account, but just never got around to do doing it lol but after seeing this comment, I felt the need to respond.

I’ve seen and heard soooo many opposition fans and media people say that our defence is weak when Carlile and Trengove are out, and their absence was the main reason we had that form slump mid-late last year. WRONG. Did these people actually watch the games during that time? I get so angry when I see/hear people say that! This was the last straw lol

Carlile and Trengove missed 3 games during that down spell – Essendon, Richmond and Melbourne. The only game we got exposed without them was Richmond at Etihad. Against Essendon and Melbourne however, our midfield, forward line and all round skills were putrid, that’s why we played so bad. Against Essendon we conceded a whopping 62 points and vs Melbourne we gave up a whole 69 pts!! It’s not like we gave up massive scores during that period, our defence coped ok with Jonas and Hombsch as the keys. Like I said, our skills were just horrendous at that time, and our midfield and forwards couldn’t get anything going (guys like Ebert, Polec and Wingard just hit a wall in those rounds). I remember the Melbourne game so clearly, I couldn’t believe some of the unforced errors the boys were making, it was under 10’s stuff. NOTHING TO DO WITH TRENGOVE AND CARLILE NOT PLAYING.

Also, Carlile returned against Collingwood (I flew over for this one, horrible effort), and that game we lost by 6 pts. But we only conceded 76 pts, the reason we lost was because WE ONLY SCORED 70! We lost once again because our midfield got smashed and our forward line was all out of whack, just like it had been for the 3 games prior to this one.

Now I’m not saying we didn’t miss them at all during that mid-late season slump last year and obviously we are a better team when they are both playing, but surely most teams won’t be as a strong when they’re missing their 2 key defenders? Imagine Geelong without Lonergan and Taylor? Or the Crows without Talia? Or Sydney without Grundy and Richards? And we saw how the Dockers struggled late last year when McPharlin and Johnson were out.

So yeah, for those people saying our rough patch last year was solely due to Carlile and Trengove being out, you’re flat out wrong. It truly cost us in just one game (vs Richmond).

Sorry for the long post everyone, but I feel better now that this is finally off my chest!!

The Collingwood game was right after half the team spent their bye week shitting brown water.

Sydney didn't lose their first 2.

They lost to GWS, smashed Adelaide in Adelaide and then they got smashed by us in round 3.

You guys will be fine.

Lobbe out is huge, and the Perth game clearly sapped you of any energy.

We are pretty decent at Etihad, so it doesn't get any easier, but you have a ridiculous team (no depth of course) but a fantastic best 22 and will get going soon enough.

You are playing basically the best 5 teams outside of yourselves in the first 5 weeks, one after the other. It's borderline unfair.

And if you don't Kenny, feel free to send him our way.
Of course like derr

#nevertearupourtarps

You need to relax, you are certainties this week!

Lol. I think you need to compare our clubs average home attendances. We made you look like a minnow club last year. Even in 2012 when we struggled massively and your lot made finals you only had a about 5 thousand more, and you get the advantage of playing several teams from the same state.

If Ryder (ASADA) and Redden (LTI) were matchfit this wouldn't be an issue - and as it was Lobbe was raring to go until jagging his quad in the week the real stuff was due to start.

The way footy is now if anyone's primary ruckman goes down it leaves a gaping hole, it's just that we've happened to have the planets align to our detriment. Chuck in a laughably difficult early draw and we're getting pounded.

Just one of those things that Luke Lowden or Baulderstone Baulderstone-Baulderstone wouldn't have alleviated #draftmeiklejohn!!11
Let them never, ever..........speak of our non injuries again. Ever.

Nth Melbourne supporters all of a sudden showing up, and saying we don't need to worry. We are certainties. As if we don't know our own club o_O

Remind me of why i hate Nth Melbourne again.

Possibly because it took you 10 years to beat us. And given you were no doubt quite used to winning (4,000,000 premierships etc), I can imagine that pissing you off.

Anyway, you own us in finals and that's what counts.

Lol North Melbourne fans bringing up tarps. If not for your crowds being boosted on a weekly basis by opposition supporters of other Melbourne clubs you'd average 17,000 per week.

EFA.

We had plenty at the Semi, so they exist, but they're lazy. In any case you don't need supporters when you have big blow up condoms and make some noise cues on the big screen.

Anyway, you own us in finals and that's what counts.
Another North Melbourne curse.
Teams that flog NM in finals get flogged the following week. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back