VFL Round 2 - Essendon vs Collingwood, Sunday 11:42am at Windy Hill (Live on Channel 7 from 11:30am)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the most unenjoyable game of football I have ever watched. If it wasn't for De Goey there is literally nothing to like.

Our kids are doing nothing, our game plan is pathetic, our skills are a joke, Moore done another serious hamstring

Won't play for sometime now anway. Hammy 4-5 weeks plus Vfl come back.

When they immediately grab right at the top of the Hamstring it's usually closer to the Del Santo/Freeman recovery time.. 8-12 weeks with no setbacks.

You have to add in though he will reinjure it in his rehab thanks to Devoran so don't expect much till 2016

When they immediately grab right at the top of the Hamstring it's usually closer to the Del Santo/Freeman recovery time.. 8-12 weeks with no setbacks.

You have to add in though he will reinjure it in his rehab thanks to Devoran so don't expect much till 2016
Freeman was 12 months

You'd have to think Karnezis & De Goey are most likely to challenge for a call up next week based on form today.

You'd have to think Karnezis & De Goey are most likely to challenge for a call up next week based on form today.

Who do you drop though? Gault for Karnezis. Broom head didn't have a great day yesterday, but I think he's safe for another week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you drop though? Gault for Karnezis. Broom head didn't have a great day yesterday, but I think he's safe for another week.
I'm not saying that we drop anyone, or make any changes. I'm just saying De Goey & Karnezis have put their hands up for selection.

Sigh.

Turning over the WC game not. Not much to add from my previous player summary.

We looked good in the first half. The wet weather probably flattered us. When it dried up we were better in the middle. Lots of inside 50s, but really lacked some forwards. Abott, Monkhurst and Still just didn't have enough presence. We wasted opportunities while essendon capatalised. They also played better wet football.

Think we also lacked good second tear players. De Geoy was great, Young honest, Freeman in and out. Other than that we didnt have any other midfeiders. Goodyear was in and under, but not consistant.

Fasolo was pretty average. He was around the ball a lot, but just looked like he couldnt get it clean. Not sure if it was an off day, but hes better than that.

Moore, Pendles and Marsh look solid up back. But there was a breaking point. McKernan, Polkinghorne and Hardingham did play well and showed some AFL footy smarts that our three dont have.

What else. Witts was ok, but needed to do more to play against carlton. Cox looked like he knew what was happening, which was more than McNamara. Just isnt clean nor much of a target.

Moores hamstring is so disheartening.

Wish this game wasn't televised. The final margin will flatter us, utterly pathetic display from VFL and AFL players.

Karnezis and De Goey only players who can hold their head up high.

Maynard has shown absolutely nothing in any game, starting to wonder why we drafted him. What exactly is he meant to be doing? Zero impact offensively zero impact defensively consistently

We only really played well in the first quarter but in the end it was more of an even contest than the final score suggests. We had plenty of I50s but just had a poor forward line + very poor delivery. We over handballed in the second quarter and let Essendon get too much easy space, but we tightened things in the second half.

De Goey and Karnezis our best AFL listed. De Goey is very strong, smart and has plenty of class, he's going to be a great midfielder for us. Karnezis very clean and composed. Difficult to see who or where he comes in for us as he didn't play as a forward but would like to see him get a run at AFL level. Young and Marsh were decent, the latter has really good scope for development. Cox showed some promise in the ruck and as a marking option forward. Witts did quite a bit, still can come for Gault, but would have loved to see more of a presence from him in the forward line. Moore was OK, a real shame about his injury. Maynard showed a few good things without impacting the game enough, give him a couple of years in the system and he'll come good for us. Freeman was involved but doesn't know how to use his attributes to his advantage which is a worry.

The rest were poor or unnoticeable. Disappointed in Fasolo's effort, he got involved a bit but had very poor disposal and poor delivery I50, which if he wants to play as a half forward at AFL level he needs to fix.

As a side note, I am a tad worried about the future of our team. We are building good foundations as we've shown with our start this year. We have drafted big bodies and good contested players in the last draft, but we lack polish and creativity, particularly in the forward line. Hopefully we start looking at this in the next trade/draft period. But since we are rebuilding on the run without bottoming out, we just can't afford to have top 10 picks that don't deliver. We have had serious injuries to Scharenberg and Freeman and now Moore. Freeman looks like someone who has elite attributes but that doesn't capitalise on them: big bodied but not great on the inside, great speed but not using it on the outside, we need to figure what we want to use him for and put some focus on his development. If we want him to be a Dangerfield type player, then he needs to play on the inside for the VFL team and develop that way, if we want him to be a skilled outsider with pace he needs to show us he can use his pace to open games up. Still lots to like, but with our lack of forward line depth someone like McCarthy could have been an inspired choice at pick 10.

Last edited:
But for them to play someone needs to come out.
Okay, Gault, Oxley, Broomhead and Blair all had dirty days yesterday and could be inline to be dropped if Bucks wanted to make changes.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if we didn't make any changes, however De Goey and Karnezis have played very well today, and if Bucks wanted to make changes they would be front of the cue to get call ups.

Happy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back