Friday Night Football no longer a showcase?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
5 rounds in and the highest team from 2014 that has appeared is Richmond (8th in 2014).

I can understand tonight's game but this is the third game in five weeks in which Carlton are stinking up the football. Collingwood and Richmond are middle tier at best. WCE, Melbourne and St Kilda aren't the teams to get me excited either. Collingwood v Geelong next week before we get a game which looks to be decent (North v Essendon). Calm down as normal service resumes the week after with Carlton v Geelong. Guess what follows that, Sydney v......Carlton.

We have to wait until round 14 until we have a real cracker game - Port v Sydney.

Don't worry, Carlton is back for Round 17.

Inspiring work AFL.

5 rounds in and the highest team from 2014 that has appeared is Richmond (8th in 2014).

I can understand tonight's game but this is the third game in five weeks in which Carlton are stinking up the football. Collingwood and Richmond are middle tier at best. WCE, Melbourne and St Kilda aren't the teams to get me excited either. Collingwood v Geelong next week before we get a game which looks to be decent (North v Essendon). Calm down as normal service resumes the week after with Carlton v Geelong. Guess what follows that, Sydney v......Carlton.

We have to wait until round 14 until we have a real cracker game - Port v Sydney.

Don't worry, Carlton is back for Round 17.

Inspiring work AFL.
then the following week,freo travel to tassie to take on the hawks on the sunday morning (western time)
whilst on the friday night i think its richmond v carlton on the friday night
pick the big game there

Carlton have seven Friday night games this season. Seven.

I'd love to know why this is, they are far from "big 4" anymore, are nowhere near the membership of the big clubs and are just generally s**t.

Carlton are more of a Sunday twilight club these days.

There were plenty of floggings last year on Friday night and no doubt in the years before that. Its way too hard to predict how a game will turn out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton have seven Friday night games this season. Seven.

I'd love to know why this is, they are far from "big 4" anymore, are nowhere near the membership of the big clubs and are just generally s**t.

TV.

Seven wasn't going to pay up $$$-wise if they weren't going to get the ratings.

Carlton have routinely got away games against non-Victorian clubs in recent years, as well as North on Friday night (and St Kilda on Mondays). I'd guess this is because they consistently rate well.

It's unfortunate for us, I'm happy to watch sub-standard skills etc but I at least want it to be close, but if the TV channels are going to pay up that much, they want the return in ratings. Carlton seemingly deliver. They might not have the membership, but they seem to have the fledgling support with casual fans.

Friday night should be reserved for top 6 sides

It really should be. The NRL organise it so the best games are played on Friday night. Of course it is not always easy to predict which teams would be up there but anyone with half a brain would know that Carlton vs Collingwood was not going to be a good high quality game in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back