Friday Night Football no longer a showcase?

Remove this Banner Ad

How so? It's factually correct. The AFL have simply reacted to the attendances of last year.

Richmond attendances of 2014 (in Melbourne):

Thursday/Friday night games

Carlton 62K
Collingwood 62K
Essendon 58K
AVERAGE: 61K

Saturday/Sunday (v other Victorian sides)
Bulldogs 31K
Hawthorn 53K
Geelong 34K
Melbourne 57K
Essendon 75K
North 33K
St Kilda 28K
St Kilda 47K
AVERAGE: 45K

v Interstate
Freo 22K
Sydney 34K (friday)
Brisbane 34K
Port 21K
GWS 23K
AVERAGE: 27K

So whacking Richmond on a Friday night against another Vic club more than doubled their attendance last year, compared to playing home against an interstate team. That's an average of 34,000 people who won't show up if Richmond don't play Friday night against another Victorian side. Compare that to your WA and SA sides, and there's a much smaller deviation since the crowds will show up regardless; that's why they're lumped with so many Sunday and Saturday arvo games.

I actually don't understand why you're being sensitive about this; none of this is opinion, just facts. Just be happy that these market forces mean you'll continue to see your side given these prime fixtures as a result.
Game against swans got 37k

A lot of Friday night games have been crap this year but seriously how are the AFL to know this?
Most people the beginning of the year or when the fixture was released thought Carlton would be average, Collingwood would slide, Eagles would struggle. Yet the Eagles are second, Collingwood have improved and will make finals, Carlton have struggled. But how are the AFL to really know?
Yes 6 games for Carlton is to many but it wouldn't be if they had improved and were in the finals mix.
Always easy in hindsight.
Maybe some of you have a crystal ball? So for those who do can you please tell me who wins the flag in 2016 as I would not mind having a punt on them.

A lot of Friday night games have been crap this year but seriously how are the AFL to know this?
Most people the beginning of the year or when the fixture was released thought Carlton would be average, Collingwood would slide, Eagles would struggle. Yet the Eagles are second, Collingwood have improved and will make finals, Carlton have struggled. But how are the AFL to really know?
Yes 6 games for Carlton is to many but it wouldn't be if they had improved and were in the finals mix.
Maybe some of you have a crystal ball? So for those who do can you please tell me who wins the flag in 2016 as I would not mind having a punt on them.
Well the easiest way is to spread the games out more evenly among teams...

Well 6 Friday night games for Carlton would've been too much whether they were good or bad but to give them 6 after a mediocre season last year where they didn't play finals was an absolute disgrace and the people that did the fixture should be the first put up against the wall.

It might not matter to you being a West Coast supporter who gets all their games shown on FTA in WA but for struggling Vic clubs like us and the Bulldogs who keep being shunted into s**t Sunday twilight or early Sunday timeslots with no FTA coverage it's bloody infuriating.

I know neither us or the Dogs were all that good last year but we've shown this year we can bounce back quick and play good entertaining footy, I'd rather watch us or the Dogs play than some of the Big 4 clubs.

You can guarantee even when us or the Dogs are top 4 teams again we won't get spoonfed the primetime fixtures that the Big 4 enjoy rain, hail or shine.

Giving a team that's been bog ordinary for the best part of this century 6 games was freaking idiotic, no matter how you spin it. There's always an element of luck involved - you can say the same for Thursday night where the AFL had had some ripping games this year. But you make your own luck to an extent - having 3 teams in all but a tiny handful of Friday night games was absurd, especially given all 3 teams didn't come within a country mile of the top 4 last year.

I agree with all but I am sick of hearing it.
Why doesn't the Saints, Bulldogs, kangaroos, Demons, presidents all join forces and have a meeting as one with the AFL about it, drag the sides from outside Victoria who are not happy into the meeting as well and do it as a show of force. Individually the clubs complaining get nowhere so make a stand as a group. Or is it that they are happy with the fixtures?
Don't see many complain when the fixture comes out each year.
The utopia of a fair and equal fixture for all is something the clubs actually don't want. Every time a different suggestion for a fixture is discussed not one club president raises a rolling concurrent fixture which for 18 teams is as fair as it gets. So clearly all clubs seem happy with current manipulated fixture done only for revenue purposes and not for fairness of the actual sport.
And as a footnote there is no proof what so ever a rolling concurrent fixture would produce less revenue.
The AFL is a political revenue raising business, it is their job to raise money and to tell us the public they care about our view which of course they don't.

Syd 8
WB 7
Ade 5
Geel, Stk 4
GWS 3
Col, Ess, Haw 2
Carl, Melb, NM, Port, WC 1
Rich, GC, Frem, BL 0

Took a year longer than it should have but Friday Nights have finally taken a step in the right direction from the snorefests they were previously. High performing and entertaining teams dominate, with up-and-comers like St Kilda getting a decent wedge. Adelaide Oval home crowd atmosphere given a good show across both Thursdays and Fridays.

Would personally tweak it next year so that WA sides' allotment increases to showcase the new stadium, while I don't believe any team should have more than 6 Friday nights with the risk being you end up flicking over to the Friday Night movie when a team unexpectedly underperforms yet has already been granted a slew of blockbuster slots. Also I quite like watching night games being held in the more interesting locations (e.g. the York Park Antarctic conditions shown early this year) so I'd like to see a NT and Tassie game on the Friday, although no doubt will be on my own on that one.

Syd 8
WB 7
Ade 5
Geel, Stk 4
GWS 3
Col, Ess, Haw 2
Rich, GC, Frem, BL 0

Took a year longer than it should have but Friday Nights have finally taken a step in the right direction from the snorefests they were previously. High performing and entertaining teams dominate, with up-and-comers like St Kilda getting a decent wedge. Adelaide Oval home crowd atmosphere given a good show across both Thursdays and Fridays.

Would personally tweak it next year so that WA sides' allotment increases to showcase the new stadium, while I don't believe any team should have more than 6 Friday nights with the risk being you end up flicking over to the Friday Night movie when a team unexpectedly underperforms yet has already been granted a slew of blockbuster slots. Also I quite like watching night games being held in the more interesting locations (e.g. the York Park Antarctic conditions shown early this year) so I'd like to see a NT and Tassie game on the Friday, although no doubt will be on my own on that one.
I thought our game at AO last year. was the closest I've seen to Antartic conditions I've seen for many years. Just needed snow to top it off. Haven't been to York park but it must be bloody cold to match that.

8 rounds (and 1 finals weekend) now start with a Thursday night game so it's obviously not quite as much the preeminent timeslot it used to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's almost always a victorian showcase, nothing more.
Disgraceful that there was only one game friday night game involving non-Vic sides last year (in round 23!), and again, there will only be one next year (after many years of no home and away friday night matches featuring 2 non-Vic sides) . And for some reason, the AFL seem resistant to occasional friday night double-headers (even though this would give WA teams an actual friday night game, for once).

Last edited:
Why do Sydney have 8 Friday night games.
They are one of the most boring teams to watch.
Exactly. It's not as if we got gifted such a draw after we finished 2nd.....

Disgraceful that there's still only one game friday night game involving non-Vic sides last year (in round 23!), and again, there will only be one next year (after many years of no home and away friday night matches featuring 2 non-Vic sides) . And for some reason, the AFL seem resistant to occasional friday night double-headers (even though this would give WA teams an actual friday night game, for once).

R23 isn't a set round, so no guarantees

Why do Sydney have 8 Friday night games.
They are one of the most boring teams to watch.
Probably so they can quote some stupid viewership numbers for nsw later in the season disregarding the favourable tv schedule.

I don't want to see the same team 8 times on a Friday night (especially Sydney), a lot of people only get round to watching their own side + the Friday night game.

Disgraceful that there's still only one game friday night game involving non-Vic sides last year (in round 23!)
, and again, there will only be one next year (after many years of no home and away friday night matches featuring 2 non-Vic sides) . And for some reason, the AFL seem resistant to occasional friday night double-headers (even though this would give WA teams an actual friday night game, for once).

Simple thing is that it's extremely rare for a game to be broadcast on FTA tv into Victoria with a non-Victorian team playing and since there is only one Friday night game that's what you get.

Friday night double-headers don't workk since a game starting at 10pm on the East Coast is an awful way to optimise viewers, particularly screwing over kids. Thursday nights just make more sense.

I'm sorry but Perth is the most isolated city in the world and there are consequences to that...

Syd 8
WB 7
Ade 5
Geel, Stk 4
GWS 3
Col, Ess, Haw 2
Rich, GC, Frem, BL 0

No guarantees that those teams with 3 or more Friday night games will be good in 2017 but it is a start, and rewarding good performances on the field is so important. That year where Carlton had a Friday night game seemingly every second week was pathetic as in no way did they deserve that kind of positive treatment from the AFL.

It should be, your team does well the year before, it is rewarded with prime time slots.

I thought our game at AO last year. was the closest I've seen to Antartic conditions I've seen for many years. Just needed snow to top it off. Haven't been to York park but it must be bloody cold to match that.
The Bellerive game between North and Richmond in 2016 was surreal with the driving rain and cold conditions, mixed up the schedule nicely (although a shame Richmond didn't turn up).

With crowds the lowest they've been since 2012 the AFL have clearly seen the flow-on impact that a substandard start to the weekend has on excitement for AFL in general. The TV ratings for WB v GWS prelim demonstrated that good football will always trump perceived big clubs for entertainment value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back