Friday Night Football no longer a showcase?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just checked the rest of the season's Friday night games and holy s**t we're in for some snore-fests. AFL doing their best to kill off Friday Night Football :(

Only in the last few years. Before that Sydney did not have a Friday night game for something like a decade.
Sydney have traditionally always been a Saturday Night/Sunday Afternoon side, I'm talking free to air here. Channel 10 scheduled you guys in a heap during the Roos era.

Only in the last few years. Before that Sydney did not have a Friday night game for something like a decade.
Largely due to the fact that Channel 7 in Sydney wouldn't show it until 11.30 pm that night. Now that games are live on 7mate, the AFL can give the Swans Friday night games.

I think AFL needs to accomodate better TV too the Victorian audience rather than interstate viewers as regardless, they will have matches of both their teams televised eg WA will air Eagles and Freo games every week on free to air in WA. Friday and Saturday night games, on Channel 7 in Melbourne needs to always be bw 2 Victorian sides

* R1, Saturday night, Lions v Pies

* R2, C7 Televised for Vic viewers
Eagles v Blues on Friday night
Power v Swans on Saturday night
(That's 3) interstate teams taking prime time away from Vic viewers

* R3, Saturday night, North v Port
* R4, Sat night, Port v Hawks

Victorian teams like Bulldogs and Demons agree should get more night games. I'm not saying brush interstate teams away when play in Vic, but just move them to other slots to allow Vic audience to watch their teams on prime time

Sydney have traditionally always been a Saturday Night/Sunday Afternoon side, I'm talking free to air here. Channel 10 scheduled you guys in a heap during the Roos era.

That is true. Saturday afternoon seems to be a common timeslot for the Swans now. I remember a few years ago the AFL gave us a random Saturday afternoon game and the crowd that came was really good so the AFL organised a lot more games during that time. It is a time that Swans supporters in general seem to like.

I don't care who it is, no team should have ~5 Friday night games.

Every team should get an equal amount - only modifier should be Thursday night and blockbuster games, if required, they can be in lieu of Friday night games.

Showcase games, there are generally 2-4 ripping games every weekend, that gives you Friday, 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday; that's be fine.

And having both Showdowns as Sunday twilight games is total bullshit.

It's a joke, really. A couple of years ago, North Melbourne were told that teams who perform get Friday night slots and that's why we hadn't got any.

Skip to 2015 and Cartlon have ******* seven Friday night games.
You mean like how hawthorn still get very few Friday night games despite finishing 2nd, 1st and 1st?

What is their strategy here? Why so many Blues games? Having Hawks/Port & Freo/Sydney at the same time seemed odd but it pretty much happens again in two weeks!!

There has to be a strange little plan in there somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is their strategy here? Why so many Blues games? Having Hawks/Port & Freo/Sydney at the same time seemed odd but it pretty much happens again in two weeks!!

There has to be a strange little plan in there somewhere.

Try and pump Carlton up, get their sponsorship, attendances and ratings up, and try and claim the 'Big 4' still exists.

*, imagine being Carlton's marketing department trying to hit up new sponsors, "Yea, we've got 6 prime Friday night games - give us your money."

Try and pump Carlton up, get their sponsorship, attendances and ratings up, and try and claim the 'Big 4' still exists.

****, imagine being Carlton's marketing department trying to hit up new sponsors, "Yea, we've got 6 prime Friday night games - give us your money."
Wonder if Mick hates it. Pretty hard flying under the radar when you're front and centre every Friday night

Carlton's 6 Friday night games is a joke. I don't even find watching them play that interesting.

What the AFL should do is have a floating fixture for the Friday night game each round to award the best teams the slot.

They should schedule 5 Saturday games and 4 Sunday when they release the fixture. However, promote each designated match of the round to the Friday Night timeslot from a month out.

In that way, it will keep fans interested in the footy straight after work.

Hasd the reason already been stated? They need a big club to pull in the viewers, and with the Essendon 'scandal' they weren't brave enough to put us on TV, so they had to fall back to Carlton.

18.SEVEN’S AFL: FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Network 7 423,000 343,000 80,000

423 000 5 City Metro is pathetic. And 18th.
Those ratings are really worrying.. flogging Richmond and Carlton has really damaged the Friday night brand.

The people are voting with their Jason La-Z-Boys.

Here's how it went down when the draw was done last year.

Hmmmm....Freo V Sydney ?..yeah ok...no hang on....Haw V Port...cool yeah ok....no...HELL NO ...Mike's right, lets have another Carlton game.

You mean like how hawthorn still get very few Friday night games despite finishing 2nd, 1st and 1st?
My assumption has been that Hawthorn don't want that many. As in they actually request the AFL to give them more afternoon games than night.

Plus you have to remember you only have 8 home games in Melbourne, so automatically you'll get less than the other big clubs because of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back