All Australian thread 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

lets see how this goes....

FB : Tom Mcdonald Alipate Carlile Robert Murphy
HB: Jasper Pittard Michael Hurley Luke Hodge
C : Stephen Hill Jordan Lewis Scott Pendlebury(C)
HF: Jack Gunston Lance Franklin Mark Lecras
FF: Eddie Betts Josh Kennedy Jay Schulz
R: Todd Goldstein Joel Selwood Nat Fyfe
I: Marcus Bontempelli Josh Bruce Robbie Gray Luke McPharlin

The good old BigFooty catch phrase 'You don't watch x side' or 'You don't watch football'. Have watched 3 of the 5 Dogs games this year (Rich/Ade/Syd) and I did say Murphy would be in my side. He's a consistently good player sure, but Pendles is arguably top 3 in the AFL. This generally matters when AA captaincy is decided.
Congratulations on watching 3 games this year, unfortunately that doesn't improve your standing in the slightest. Saying it "wouldn't surprise you" if he drops off suggests you had no idea of his consistency.

By the way, Darren Glass was the captain in 2012 and he wasn't even a top 30 player in the competition. Tom Harley was vice-captain in 2008 and he wasn't even top 100.

You can argue all you want, but it's clear as daylight that if the AA Team was done now, Murphy would be the unanimous choice among selectors. Firstly, being a first year captain (Judd 2008, Ablett 2011, and to an extent, Johnson 2006) is something that will aid his cause significantly. Secondly, he's extremely popular within the media and the AFL supporter base as a whole, and is generally considered one of the most likeable players in the competition. Thirdly and most importantly, he's just willed his team to win against seemingly impossible odds, which is by far the most noticeable and universally admired form of leadership. In contrast, Pendlebury has been playing against mostly rubbish opposition, and his leadership qualities aren't being pumped up anywhere near as much as Murphy's.

you are underselling Darren Glass as not a top 30 player. key defender are keys to good teams and he is one of the best in his time. we are not talking midfielder brownlows mate

Murphy would be in the 22 atm, with Boyd, Stringer, Dahlhaus & Bonts there abouts for the squad of 40 at the moment. Long season though so hopefully we can get a representative with a couple in the 40 at the end of the year.

By the way, Darren Glass was the captain in 2012 and he wasn't even a top 30 player in the competition.

Wrong.
Tom Harley was vice-captain in 2008 and he wasn't even top 100.

Double wrong.

You can argue all you want, but it's clear as daylight that if the AA Team was done now, Murphy would be the unanimous choice among selectors.

Correct

In contrast, Pendlebury has been playing against mostly rubbish opposition, and his leadership qualities aren't being pumped up anywhere near as much as Murphy's.

See how it pans out over the course of a season. Murphy is universally loved as a person and player, but Pendlebury is widely regarded as a top 3-5 comp player and has been around that mark for about 5 years.

Pendles has made the past 5 teams on the trot so it wouldn't surprise if the selectors look at that consistency as a reason to give him the captaincy (should he make the side, mind you. Nothing is certain yet). This is similar to how they'd look at Murphy's reputation/standing/longevity if they were to award it to him.

At the end of the day WGAF though. If Murphy maintained this form nobody could argue he doesn't deserve it, but ditto with Pendlebury.

Murphy would be in the 22 atm, with Boyd, Stringer, Dahlhaus & Bonts there abouts for the squad of 40 at the moment. Long season though so hopefully we can get a representative with a couple in the 40 at the end of the year.

Murphy and Bont seem the likeliest IMO

Congratulations on watching 3 games this year, unfortunately that doesn't improve your standing in the slightest. Saying it "wouldn't surprise you" if he drops off suggests you had no idea of his consistency.

If he was that consistently brilliant, he would have made more than 1 AA team in his career... just saying. I said he would be in my team right now anyway so not sure what else I need to say there..

By the way, Darren Glass was the captain in 2012 and he wasn't even a top 30 player in the competition.

Disagree, but nice selective example there. Selwood 2013/2014, Ablett 2011, Riewoldt 2009, Judd 2008.. plenty of examples of great players being named captain.

Tom Harley was vice-captain in 2008 and he wasn't even top 100.

We weren't talking about vice captains were we..

Firstly, being a first year captain (Judd 2008

Judd was captain in 2006 and 2007. 2008 was his third year of being an AFL captain.

Pendlebury has been playing against mostly rubbish opposition, and his leadership qualities aren't being pumped up anywhere near as much as Murphy's.

A matter of opinion. I don't think you'll find anyone that doubts Pendles' leadership qualities. If Murph was such an amazing leader why did it take your mob so bloody long to give him the job??

Pendles, Fyfe and Goldstein are the most likely so far.

The only two from WC I would consider would be Kennedy and Mcgovern. Amazing given McGovern has played less than 20 matches.

Kennedy would be in my team, McGovern close..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy would be in my team, McGovern close..
Yeah, McGovern is exceeding my expectations, given the lack of support and that his best is as a CHF. Yet to be beaten and alternated between Cameron and Mccarthy who scored 2 goals total.

Massive intercept mark, would be leading the comp or close to.

Great skills and super tough.

JASPER PITTARD IN 2015
Averaging 24.2 disposals (@ 83% DE) and 5.2 rebound 50s

Ranked 1st in the AFL for effective kicks @ 13.6 per game
Ranked 6th in the AFL for kicks @ 16.8 per game
All while shutting down an opponent. He'd be right up there in the metres gained stat too.

2014 ALL-AUSTRALIAN HALF-BACKS

BRODIE SMITH (Adelaide)
Averaged 22.5 disposals and 4.9 rebound 50s

NICK MALCESKI (Sydney)
Averaged 23 disposals and 5.1 rebound 50s

FB : Tom Mcdonald Jeremy McGovern Robert Murphy
C : Dylan Shiel Jordan Lewis Brad Ebert
HF: Josh Bruce Lance Franklin Mark Lecras
R: Todd Goldstein Scott Pendlebury Nat Fyfe
I: Bachar Houli David Mundy Robbie Gray Stephen Hill

Luke McPharlin has played on and beaten Schultz, Clark, Kennedy, Franklin & Hogan, 4 of them convincingly. Those players (excluding Schultz because of Rd1) had good lead up games having kicked 20 goals between them, Luke gave the 5 of them 7 goals.

Talk stats all you like but a list like that deserves recognition.

FB : Tom Mcdonald Jeremy McGovern Robert Murphy
C : Dylan Shiel Jordan Lewis Brad Ebert
HF: Josh Bruce Lance Franklin Mark Lecras
R: Todd Goldstein Scott Pendlebury Nat Fyfe
I: Bachar Houli David Mundy Robbie Gray Stephen Hill

Woohoo someone picking the side on form and not on names.
Well done!!!

Luke McPharlin has played on and beaten Schultz, Clark, Kennedy, Franklin & Hogan, 4 of them convincingly. Those players (excluding Schultz because of Rd1) had good lead up games having kicked 20 goals between them, Luke gave the 5 of them 7 goals.

Talk stats all you like but a list like that deserves recognition.

One of Hogans goals was the softest free you will ever see. From memory Franklin got a freebie as well (might be wrong).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back