Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking our lead from Malaysia and Indonesia? Thought it was meant to be the other way around?

Public are going to go nuts when Abbott brings back capital punishment an executes a drug trafficker..

Taking our lead from Malaysia and Indonesia? Thought it was meant to be the other way around?

Public are going to go nuts when Abbott brings back capital punishment an executes a drug trafficker..

Surely they're taking their lead from us...We did it first.

What can I say, things go in cycles, and ideas that work keep coming back.
Great news, that means one day we'll have a conscience again. Can't wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^ this.

Telsor is happy for these people to die, as long as a relatively small amount of them don't die on our watch.

I am?

We're taking as many refugees as ever, we're just taking them in ways that don't lead them to risk their lives to get here.

So if you're suggesting that the people dying in camps, etc are somehow due to us, I'd be curious to hear your justification of that.

I am?

We're taking as many refugees as ever, we're just taking them in ways that don't lead them to risk their lives to get here.

So if you're suggesting that the people dying in camps, etc are somehow due to us, I'd be curious to hear your justification of that.
I can't be bothered repeating myself. Utilise the search function.

I am?

There are over a million Rohingya in Burma and millions of desperate people in Bangladesh, an impossible task for any other country to absorb. Allowing unsafe boat journeys just promotes the exploitation of human misery as seen in the mass graves in Thailand or illegal immigrant workforce in Malaysia. These countries have quietly turned a blind eye to the entry of such migrants as a source of cheap/slave labour in their fishing and construction industries. Its only through bad publicity that the thai authorities are cracking down and Malaysia goes through the empty gesture of mass deportations every few years as a political ploy to placate domestic issues.

Furthermore, any income earned through illegal employment in Malaysia simply floods back to their origin countries in foreign currency remittances, strengthening the position of the burmese military/civilian leadership.

The lesson to be learnt is there is no middle road. You either accept zero boat arrivals or be prepared to take in all. Any real solution requires international pressure on the Burmese government and in the short/medium term financial incentives for neighbouring Bangladesh to host asylum seekers. There are already several hundred thousand there and they share common cultural and ethnic ties. Development to help Rohingya refugees and Bangladeshis through shared foreign aid by ASEAN would be a carrot to ensure their borders remain open and discourage a dangerous voyage to Malaysia to join their informal workforce.

Last edited:
I am?

stop talking out of your ass...if you think we're taking as many as ever then you need to go read up on what's happening in the Mediterranean.

If they brought back Capital punishment then the public would cheer.

So a regional solution with greater levels of foreign investment would help the problem in your view? Kinda like the opposite of our current policy which you have led the cheerleading for.

Cognitive dissonance?

First you have to stop the people smuggling industry, including its Australian domestic arm of loudmouth greencreeps, refugee advocates & etc.
Then when the boats have stopped arriving illegally resources can be put into trying to solve the political/economic conditions at source.
Not rocket science.

But the boats haven't stopped, and they won't be stopped. They may not be arriving here but they are very much still out there. At least you're coming round to the realising that bastardising a group of people isn't going to make the problem go away, we just outsource it to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back