Rumour Ross Lyon to coach Carlton from 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon doesn't build lists. He goes to teams that already are, or on the verge of, maturing, and then he drills them into being a very good side. He has never proven that he's capable of building a list from the ground up, and he really doesn't need to when other coaches can do the work for him before they get turfed. When Freo's window closes and they have to start rebuilding, I suspect he'll jump ship, but unless another coach has already built Carlton up to the point where they're on the verge of being a good side, he won't go there. He'll go to another team that has a decent list but with a coach that isn't getting the best out of the group.
Oh no. That's us in 2017 when Ross contract is up with Dockers.

Ross Lyon goes to teams that are in or on the verge of that 'premiership' window. Carlton need someone who has the ability to rebuild a list, and Carlton's list is in pretty bad shape. Lyon is not the man for that job and seriously, if you were him you wouldn't even consider it.

Have it on very good authority that Ross will move on to Carlton next season to rebuild their list.

Is very very good friends and business partner with the List Manager there and would be an excellent fit, ticks all boxes for the Blues as well.

Watch this space.

he's contracted until then end of 2017

freos board and CEO are not chumps in that regard and wouldnt have clauses to let him out of contract like our piss weak incompetent past adminstration had

Lyon isn't an opportunistic ship jumper, he blew a multimillion dollar investment and the Saints were playing hardball with his contract, and freo gave him what he wanted. I promise you, he will not leave until he hands the reigns to Pavlich in three or four years time.

just on this, our deal couldnt compete with freos in a time when he needed cash fast and a large sum at that

Difference was he was out of contract at the time,

I can't see him leaving in the near future, he is on very good coin and has a list chockers full of talent. All this crapola about not developing youf is just that.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-03-07/lyon-signs-on-for-two-more-years

ross wasnt out of contract. he had one more year to run.

he had a clause in his contract that meant he could leave at any time during the off-season. didnt matter if it was the first or last year of his contract. other clubs had this same clause, it just was never triggered

having said that, st kildas * up and ross's reckless financial/person life is freos gain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's contracted until then end of 2017

freos board and CEO are not chumps in that regard and wouldnt have clauses to let him out of contract like our piss weak incompetent past adminstration had

You're probably right. If they win a premiership though, and he wanted to leave, they might be okay with him sailing off into the sunset.

You're probably right. If they win a premiership though, and he wanted to leave, they might be okay with him sailing off into the sunset.

cant see the freo board agreeing to that. its similar to carlton trying to poach hawthorns contracted head recruiter last year, even after winning a back to back flag, they told him in no uncertain terms NO!

wont happen

Have it on very good authority that Ross will move on to Carlton next season to rebuild their list.

Is very very good friends and business partner with the List Manager there and would be an excellent fit, ticks all boxes for the Blues as well.

Watch this space.

He would be absolutely nuts to even consider that, as there maybe even a couple of flags in Freo in yet and Carlton is maybe 5 years or more before they might be competitive enough to be finalists again.

Plus he is not really a rebuilding sort of coach and most importantly we couldn't afford what he would want.

But TBH I would say that this is all total bullsh1t anyway!!!

He was in financial ruin, I remember an article going around that it was so bad at one point he had to sleep in his car for a short while.

Anyone really buy this? I mean, he has a wife and 2 kids, doesn't he? Were they all living in a Combi van? I'm sure Ross is smart enough to at least be able to put a roof over his family's head - even if he did get close to bankruptcy.

Watch this space.

Ross Lyon might be a lot of things but surely he is not stupid enough to take on a career killing job that Carlton head coach would be.

He would be absolutely nuts to even consider that, as there maybe even a couple of flags in Freo in yet and Carlton is maybe 5 years or more before they might be competitive enough to be finalists again.

Plus he is not really a rebuilding sort of coach and most importantly we couldn't afford what he would want.

But TBH I would say that this is all total bullsh1t anyway!!!

I think its unlikely but not impossible.

Pav and Sandi are nearing the end...and nothings impossible since we don't know much about Ross Lyons personal life. Maybe he'd rather live in Melbourne? Good friends with people at Carlton? Business opportunities? etc etc. He's already sprung a surprise while still in contract by jumping ship to Freo from Saints in the first place, so there is previous form.

I don't think it would take Carlton 5 years to play finals again with Ross at the helm. Reckon he could do a bit of Hinkley at PA magic and turn us around pretty quickly. Our list isn't that bad, players just look rubbish with the game plan and lack of effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back