MRP / Trib. 2015 MRP/ Carlton Tribunal News & Reports (aka Chook lotto)

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't a sling tackle. It was one motion, and Gibbs stayed with him. (For comparison, this is a sling tackle )

To my knowledge there is no rule saying you cannot pin one or both arms.

Tackle was legit. If there had of been prior opportunity it should of been holding the ball.

It's unfortunate there was a concussion, but unfortunately there always will be in full contact sports. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to minimise them but accidents will still occur.

Carlton and Gibbs should challenge.

Acquired brain injuries, multiple concussions over a period of time has shown to cause Dementia in NFL/pro footballers at times in their life, and in very rare and tragic cases, even death as a result of a knock to the on the sporting field. The head is absolutely sacrosanct, there are potential far more repercussions then from a crook shoulder tackle (for example)
That wasn't the point of my post as I understand the seriousness of head injuries. A crook shoulder as you put it can end your season but it's treated as just part of the game.

Last edited:
Simply put, Gibbs did put the head in some danger with the tackle, but Gray also had the option of protecting his head, but instead rode the tackle in order to keep control of the ball. Gibbs also doesnt pick him right up off the ground and fling him.

Simply put, Gibbs did put the head in some danger with the tackle, but Gray also had the option of protecting his head, but instead rode the tackle in order to keep control of the ball. Gibbs also doesnt pick him right up off the ground and fling him.

yep

this is a bit like the Hodge/Murphy thing from a few years ago, hodge went in hard with the intent to hurt and murph, being a pure ball player, copped the full force in the most damaging way. Hell, there were media folks blaming murph instead of the guy who came of a 50m run-up to remove him from the game! Hodge got off then and Gibbs should get off now.

That right SV Gibbs didn't really 'sling' him, sort of spun around, as someone said Gray was trying to ride the tackle 2 weeks is far too severe, and have they taken into account Gibbs clean record?

Must challenge

Might depend when the umpire blew his whistle. If he hadn't, I don't know what option Gibbs had but to continue with the tackle. It's not like he didn't have the ball any more.

In any case, Gibbs out is a good excuse to play a youngster. Step up lads.

It's probably been posted already, but since I was watching the replay and wanted to vent. 17:50 to go in the 4th quarter, Bell lays a tackle with the same type of force as Gibbs. Nobody gives a s**t about that, though.

From a logistics standpoint, it works out quite well. One less person gets omitted from a winning team, and one of Whiley, Boekhurst or Holman gets a call up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let Gibbs take the two weeks other than that tackle he was not his normal self on Saturday suggesting he is still getting over his own injuries..

I knew this was coming from the minute the media started this bloody witch hunt. Gibbs was doomed the minute all these "professionals" started commenting how he should be getting 4 weeks ect, all these afraid that if they go against the trend and have a different opinion they'd be ridiculoud so they follow everyone else's opinion and soon enough the noise was deafening. I hope Gibbs and Carlton contest this charge as he has only been charged because all of the background noise from the media.

I knew this was coming from the minute the media started this bloody witch hunt. Gibbs was doomed the minute all these "professionals" started commenting how he should be getting 4 weeks ect, all these afraid that if they go against the trend and have a different opinion they'd be ridiculoud so they follow everyone else's opinion and soon enough the noise was deafening. I hope Gibbs and Carlton contest this charge as he has only been charged because all of the background noise from the media.
Channel 7 just reported that the club had just met and will make a call tomorrow morning.
You are right, the usual Carlton witch hunt began immediately.
Wingard was interviewed today and thought it was a good tackle, which it was, and nothing in it.

Terrible call. It was a legitimate tackle. In fact, I'd say it was almost a perfect tackle, and totally within the rules. No free kick paid.

IMO if the AFL want to stop injuries resulting from extended and rough tackling, the best thing they could do is instruct the umpires to properly police the holding the ball rule. This rule has been eroded over the last couple of decades to now mean if you hold onto the ball you can get a ball up. This encourages players to do just that, take on the tackle and ride it out in the hope of a ball up. Take a look at some of the footage from the 70s in particular. As soon as a player in possession was grabbed, they were gone unless they got rid of it quickly. This discouraged the player from riding the tackle and encouraged them to dispose of the ball before they got into trouble. 70's Robbie Gray (now there's an awful image) gets rid of the ball when he realises he's about to be tackled. 2015 Robbie Gray holds onto it because he knows he's a better than even chance of getting a ball up.

Terrible call. It was a legitimate tackle. In fact, I'd say it was almost a perfect tackle, and totally within the rules. No free kick paid.

IMO if the AFL want to stop injuries resulting from extended and rough tackling, the best thing they could do is instruct the umpires to properly police the holding the ball rule. This rule has been eroded over the last couple of decades to now mean if you hold onto the ball you can get a ball up. This encourages players to do just that, take on the tackle and ride it out in the hope of a ball up. Take a look at some of the footage from the 70s in particular. As soon as a player in possession was grabbed, they were gone unless they got rid of it quickly. This discouraged the player from riding the tackle and encouraged them to dispose of the ball before they got into trouble. 70's Robbie Gray (now there's an awful image) gets rid of the ball when he realises he's about to be tackled. 2015 Robbie Gray holds onto it because he knows he's a better than even chance of getting a ball up.
In addition, if you didn't get rid of it legally by hand or foot you were pinged... what exactly was wrong with those rules?

Last edited:
No free kick or report. Cripps laid an almost identical tackle less than a minute after Gray was stretchered off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back