2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. Unmentioned part is trade would only be on if Hogan wanted home a year early, which would shake Melbourne's tree.

So if not Ballantyne, what player + pick gets Hogan? Anyone bar Fyfe on the table?

The only players with any chance at all (other than Fyfe) would be Neale or Hill. Anyone else is either too old or not good enough. And we'd have to throw in our first pick and probably something else too.

True. Unmentioned part is trade would only be on if Hogan wanted home a year early, which would shake Melbourne's tree.

So if not Ballantyne, what player + pick gets Hogan? Anyone bar Fyfe on the table?

If I was Melbourne , Fyfe would be the only player I would consider trading Hogan for, quality key forwards are far too rare.

If I was Melbourne , Fyfe would be the only player I would consider trading Hogan for, quality key forwards are far too rare.

Same here. They might not have a choice though.

Hogan is still a potential. The hope is that his output and consistency go up with his experience.

He looks really good but let's not pile on too much on his shoulders too soon, his back isn't as robust as I would like.
No offence, Taylor, but you'd have to be blind, deaf and dumb to not be able to see that he's a genuine future A++ key forward. There's no potential in him, only upside. It's a case of when, not if.

With both Hogan and McCarthy signed through end of 2017 (I think?), it just makes it too difficult to get either of them. We might have some chance if they walked out and demanded a trade to Freo. But while under contract, I don't see how we would be able to get even close to a trade. They'd want too much.

Will be interesting to see how the sides fare through 2016-17. We'd need to at least stay in finals contention. And hope GWS hasn't started a dynasty, and/or Melbourne is still wallowing near the bottom. Then we might be able to talk trades. Or wait a few more years for these guys to enter FA.

Consistent winning sides trade. Players not getting a run and/or undervalued by their current club. Jack Crisp FFS, Round 3 rookie, steal by the Pies.
There will be someone we pick up via trade this year I've no doubt and if we don't we are sitting on our hands.
Freo's current consistent winning side has McPharlin traded for #1 pick, (Mzungu from Gold Coast) and D.Pearce grabbed via Restricted Free Agent from Port Adelaide. That's it, out of the 27 2015 Freo players. So really our only trade was McPharlin. In return Hawthorn got picks 1, 20 & 36 which gave them Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell.
My point is, you don't have to trade to win. Yep there are winning trades and bad trades. But from what I have witnessed, most trades are not cost effective.

Last edited:
Yeah trades arent cost effective but our tall youth isnt looking great with Clarke looking ok and A Pierce looking good. If we dont bring in something we are going to have a seriously deficient set of talls in my opinion. I think we need another ambitious moment like when we got our coach. The problem is the system protects the garbage clubs from this sort of ambition.

So really according to the anti traders we really only have one option but to bottom out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems the most likely but like all Freo targeted players we never see it coming.

Im sure he is being lined up for an offer, the problem is he is a melbourne lad, so getting him to Freo is a stretch...

Unfortunately, we haven't had any real success in bringing back ex-WA players as they all seem to enjoy themselves far too much when they leave Perth to return (cant blame them). And then the only way to get a VIC kid, is to pay overs and compensate heavily - eg. Croad. But getting a player for the money doesnt work either. At least the Swans got buddy not only for the cash, but because he wanted to live in Bondi ...

To the draft we go I fear.

Think Hogan and McCarthy are contracted to end of 2016?

As others have stated, the obvious isnt our style. We'd need players to want to come to us first for something to happen. I'd think Hooker (coming home year early?, and getting off the Titanic), Carlisle (ditto without the home part), and Sam Reid (something has to give with Swans salary cap, we'd have to honour his decent current contract but) would be more likely than anything else.

I'd also wager more likely than not to get A Black, given spots on list to fill and lack of forwards on the shelf.

More I think if it, the Swans almost have to trade someone like Reid/Jetta/Mitchell, who has currency and as mentioned above takes a chunk of their cap.

They have generate points (picks) in order to draft Mills and Dunkley, obviously depending on what other clubs bid.

Therefore a Reid for pick/s trade is very plausible.

More I think if it, the Swans almost have to trade someone like Reid/Jetta/Mitchell, who has currency and as mentioned above takes a chunk of their cap.

They have generate points (picks) in order to draft Mills and Dunkley, obviously depending on what other clubs bid.

Therefore a Reid for pick/s trade is very plausible.

Reid for Clarke would be a fair pick if Reid was interested, or maybe tanner Smith & craig Moller ( was born in Sydney heard his parents in Perth) & maybe some draft pick swaps. Reid can plat KPF & KPF.

I don't believe that replacing Pav with any of the top full fwds going around right now is necessarily the only way fwd for our squad.

We are never gonna have the stocks that GWS has and let's be honest, when they hit their straps the game will shift. Defenses will become more attuned to having to deal with multi pronged beasts than fwd attacking movements from the chf line.

By the time Hogan comes on the market we should have a solid idea of what Apeness, Tabs, Hannath etc. are gonna provide. Until then we could use our mids and smalls much like Swans 2012 while using our resting ruckmen to negate their intercept and rebound.

It's all conjecture of course but it would be the definition of insanity to pin all our hopes on getting one of these boys.

Freo's current consistent winning side has McPharlin traded for #1 pick, (Mzungu from Gold Coast) and D.Pearce grabbed via Restricted Free Agent from Port Adelaide. That's it, out of the 27 2015 Freo players. So really our only trade was McPharlin. In return Hawthorn got picks 1, 20 & 36 which gave them Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell.
My point is, you don't have to trade to win. Yep there are winning trades and bad trades. But from what I have witnessed, most trades are not cost effective.
No you don't have to trade to win but there are arguments that you can win by trading as well.
Sydney: Josh Kennedy, Ben McGlynn, Ted Richards
Hawthorn: Shaun Burgoyne, Josh Gibson, Brian Lake
On the other side of the coin you have teams like Geelong who don't trade or they are depth type trades.

lachie Henderson
This. Henderson along with Reid interests me as far the way we play goes. Both players can play either end of the ground. Reid with an added advantage of helping in the ruck. RTB loves the flexible types.

Reid for Clarke would be a fair pick if Reid was interested, or maybe tanner Smith & craig Moller ( was born in Sydney heard his parents in Perth) & maybe some draft pick swaps. Reid can plat KPF & KPF.

Why would Reid want to leave Sydney now?

1. He has finally found his perfect role
2. He is well paid
3. They're a premiership contender

No you don't have to trade to win but there are arguments that you can win by trading as well.
Sydney: Josh Kennedy, Ben McGlynn, Ted Richards
Hawthorn: Shaun Burgoyne, Josh Gibson, Brian Lake
On the other side of the coin you have teams like Geelong who don't trade or they are depth type trades.
Ottens, McIntosh, Caddy and Rivers are/were hardly depth types. Very few premiership teams don't trade in players who played a significant role. Think it was mentioned somewhere that no team has won a premiership without a previous premiership player for roughly 20 years. This would have a lot to do with trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back