Ashes 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

So if Voges plays at 5, given that it will be Mitch Marsh or Watson at 6 (working off the CA love of an all rounder) who then misses out of Shaun Marsh and Rogers?

Shaun Marsh easily. Rogers is our best bat in English conditions, and Shaun Marsh isn't a test quality opener, middle order bat.

Hypothetically retiring after leading Australia to it's first test series victory in England in 14 years, six months after leading Australia to a home world cup victory and after winning the Ashes 5-0 and knocking off South Africa in South Africa could be considered by some to be going out on your own terms.

Maybe, but knowing Clarke and his love for the SCG he is playing the home summer.

Not so confident, and it is purely because we are going to play two used lemons at 6 and 7 in our batting lineup. England more than other countries the ball really swings and you can lost 2-3 quick wickets. I'm shuddering at the thought of Watson and Haddin doing something with the bat...
I agree with your thoughts on how many runs we will get out of 6 & 7, personally reckon we will get more out of 8 & 9 this series, especially if Johnson finds some form with the bat (bat & ball form seem to go hand in hand with him for some reason). Haddin's batting over the last couple of seasons has been more deserving of playing him at 11 than 7, so when he retires in 5 tests time I'll be glad to see the back of him.

I agree with your thoughts on how many runs we will get out of 6 & 7, personally reckon we will get more out of 8 & 9 this series, especially if Johnson finds some form with the bat (bat & ball form seem to go hand in hand with him for some reason). Haddin's batting over the last couple of seasons has been more deserving of playing him at 11 than 7, so when he retires in 5 tests time I'll be glad to see the back of him.

If I had my way he'd be in the retirement lounge now and Nevil would have already had the test series in the West Indies. He can't be any worse!

Shaun Marsh easily. Rogers is our best bat in English conditions, and Shaun Marsh isn't a test quality opener, middle order bat.
Personally I just think that there isn't much between the two so you look at who has more upside to their career. Voges will be 36 come the start of the summer, Shaun Marsh turns 32 next week. Voges has maybe 2 years of test cricket in him Marsh 5, so if the two are on a toss of the coin now then go with the younger is my theory. If Marsh fails in the first test then dump him for Voges.

Regardless of which way it goes, it is still going to be the strongest looking top 5 we've had since Hayden retired in 2009. (Top 5 in his final test - Hayden, Katich, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke)

If I had my way he'd be in the retirement lounge now and Nevil would have already had the test series in the West Indies. He can't be any worse!
With how bad his batting has been since he came back into the side honestly we might as well of stuck with Wade, sure he'd drop a few catches, but he'd score some runs and keeping would improve. Everyone forgets what Marsh, Healy and Gilchrist were like when they first came into the test team, people might be surprised to see that Wade wasn't much worse.

Personally I just think that there isn't much between the two so you look at who has more upside to their career. Voges will be 36 come the start of the summer, Shaun Marsh turns 32 next week. Voges has maybe 2 years of test cricket in him Marsh 5, so if the two are on a toss of the coin now then go with the younger is my theory. If Marsh fails in the first test then dump him for Voges.

Regardless of which way it goes, it is still going to be the strongest looking top 5 we've had since Hayden retired in 2009. (Top 5 in his final test - Hayden, Katich, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke)

This is an important series can we not go the potential route aka that is what everyone says about Shaun Marsh every year. We are not dropping Voges, was MOTM 2 tests ago plus bowls handy orthodox spinners.

With how bad his batting has been since he came back into the side honestly we might as well of stuck with Wade, sure he'd drop a few catches, but he'd score some runs and keeping would improve. Everyone forgets what Marsh, Healy and Gilchrist were like when they first came into the test team, people might be surprised to see that Wade wasn't much worse.

No thanks! Can we not go back to the wheelie bin who can't catch. Wade was beyond horrendous behind the stumps and lost test matches with his keeping. Nevill is better, just as good a bat and an elite glove man.

I have never understood the expression 'deserves to go out on his own terms'. You have two choices; retire before you get dropped, or get dropped and never return to the team. If Clarke is still playing well and wants to keep going then he will and should play over the Australian summer. If his form drops off and he still wants to play even though he is not worthy of being selected and he is still selected because he 'deserves to go out on his own terms' then that is wrong and stupid!

No thanks! Can we not go back to the wheelie bin who can't catch. Wade was beyond horrendous behind the stumps and lost test matches with his keeping. Nevill is better, just as good a bat and an elite glove man.
I know you love bashing Wade, but it's a bit harsh to say he lost us test matches. Maybe if Patto didn't get injured, or something else went out way we'd have won. Plus there is no guarantee we'd have taken the remaining wickets anyway, there could have been an Anderson-Panesar partnership at the end for all we know.

If we had an eye on the future, Burns would have kept his place in the side or at least the squad for the Windies and England tours. The fact that he didn't tells me that they are 100% focused on the here and now i.e. winning the ashes, and that means that Voges at the very least begins the series ahead of SMarsh. Better recent record and can roll the arm over.

Really getting pumped for this series. Didn't realise it's only a week away! I personally see us winning 2/3 - 1. I don't think it's going to be a cakewalk at all for us but I look at our bowling lineup and it's too strong and deep imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never understood the expression 'deserves to go out on his own terms'. You have two choices; retire before you get dropped, or get dropped and never return to the team. If Clarke is still playing well and wants to keep going then he will and should play over the Australian summer. If his form drops off and he still wants to play even though he is not worthy of being selected and he is still selected because he 'deserves to go out on his own terms' then that is wrong and stupid!

Same here. Selectors are wary of doing their job properly with senior players though, they lose nerve and look the other way. Look at how long Punter hung on for.

You forgot the 2013/14 Ashes?

And Haddin was brought back for off field reasons as well.

Lets never get back to Wade. He's not the best option in the country so why go with him?

root2_zpsoboj0ru7.jpg

meanwhile in Spain.....
Joe Root trying to be a spainish Joffery?

Have they done the toss? Less then half an hour before the first ball but not showing up on cricket.com.au.

On the cricinfo team sheet it says Siddle is playing instead of Harris. What do you make of that?

Ok, Harris pulled out with soreness. What are his chances at being selected for the 1st test now? Slim I'd say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back