Review R14: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I fence sit? Bit of both. It's look like the tactics/strategies have ramped up and the players are too busy trying to remember what they should be doing instead of just playing. But heaven help me some of the skill errors.
It looks as if they all (players) want the season to be over. Football shouldn't be this hard. Bloody frustrating but I have faith in Ken, not the fitness program, I reckon Ken has thought about 2016 already, he's not stupid. I think he's said to the players people want dropped 'you guys started this so see it through'. Still too many passengers this year. Happy for AhChee, looks a big boy who's happy to get his hands dirty.

You can SEE the effort. The lesser lights -AhChee, Colquhoun, Moore - come in and look like they are desperate to prove something. And the Gold Pass holders - Jonas, Pittard, Schulz -play like they have nothing to prove. Questions, questions, questions...

1. When we slimmed down, was the reasoning was to make the guys run faster for longer?
  2. Did we work on skills in the pre-season?
  3. How can a 20 metre pass miss the target by 15 metres?
  4. Do the players follow the leaders?
  5. When 16 defenders are in Sydney's forward 50, how can a 40 metre pass constantly find a Sydney forward taking an uncontested mark?
  6. What happened to Tommy Jonas circa 2014?
  7. Why, on a short, wide ground, do we insist on playing short and wide?
  8. When we desperately need a goal in the final stages, why does every one who gets the ball go every which way but forward?
  9. Does Pittard get dropped, or simply banned from the defensive 50?
  10. When was the last time one of our tall forwards took a contested mark from our long bombs?
  11. If it is good enough for a 5-gamer to fly the flag for an aggrieved team-mate, why can't the experienced heads show any aggression?
  12. Is Travis Boak playing injured?
  13. Would we prefer that Jay Schulz get suspended for two games or escape penalty altogether?
  14. Do we miss Kane Cornes?
  15. Has our recruiting recently been too focused on finding runners who play football rather than footballers who can run?
  16. What monsters exist in the corridor?
  17. Was Broadbent remorseless or pathetic for monstering Parker when he was hurt?
  18. Did the players realise that the 50 metre arc at the SCG is only 45 metres from goal?
  19. Are our perceived best kickers actually our best kickers?
  20. Where is a good place to go on holiday in September?
  21. Will we outnumber Collingwood fans next Thursday?
  22. Did anyone notice the outstanding job in the match thread by No sane Portfan?

Take a step back and look at it this way, 12th place team lost by 10 points to the third place team, in anyone else's eyes it probably would be considered a "gallant effort" Sydney would have done the same to most other teams.
Well when you look at it that way....its a bit slanted...

No buddy or tippet...a player down.....etc etc

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but in the fitness staff's wisdom they directed Wines to slim down by 3 or 4 kegs in the preseason.

View attachment 148854

Get a load of the fat ****!
Yep, Burgess has turned Wines from a raging bull into..., well I'm not really sure - not quite an inside player, not quite an outside player.

It looks as if they all (players) want the season to be over. Football shouldn't be this hard. Bloody frustrating but I have faith in Ken, not the fitness program, I reckon Ken has thought about 2016 already, he's not stupid. I think he's said to the players people want dropped 'you guys started this so see it through'. Still too many passengers this year. Happy for AhChee, looks a big boy who's happy to get his hands dirty.

Ah Chee is looking like one of the big success stories this year. He just goes after the ball like a pit bull.

There is no conceivable reason for Jonas to get a game next week . None at all.
Yes there is. It will hurt the Magpies if he gets dropped;)

I'm not going to go table flipping mad this season. I can accept success isn't linear and good sides do have down years for whatever reason. Though I don't agree with all that's going on with selections, game day coaching or game style. Next year though, if we're down again. I'll be flipping every table at the Port Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anyone else see when broadbent was trying to knock over Parker (I think that's who it was) when he was injured?

seriously play some good footy or don't be a w***er.

You can SEE the effort. The lesser lights -AhChee, Colquhoun, Moore - come in and look like they are desperate to prove something. And the Gold Pass holders - Jonas, Pittard, Schulz -play like they have nothing to prove. Questions, questions, questions...

1. When we slimmed down, was the reasoning was to make the guys run faster for longer?
  2. Did we work on skills in the pre-season?
  3. How can a 20 metre pass miss the target by 15 metres?
  4. Do the players follow the leaders?
  5. When 16 defenders are in Sydney's forward 50, how can a 40 metre pass constantly find a Sydney forward taking an uncontested mark?
  6. What happened to Tommy Jonas circa 2014?
  7. Why, on a short, wide ground, do we insist on playing short and wide?
  8. When we desperately need a goal in the final stages, why does every one who gets the ball go every which way but forward?
  9. Does Pittard get dropped, or simply banned from the defensive 50?
  10. When was the last time one of our tall forwards took a contested mark from our long bombs?
  11. If it is good enough for a 5-gamer to fly the flag for an aggrieved team-mate, why can't the experienced heads show any aggression?
  12. Is Travis Boak playing injured?
  13. Would we prefer that Jay Schulz get suspended for two games or escape penalty altogether?
  14. Do we miss Kane Cornes?
  15. Has our recruiting recently been too focused on finding runners who play football rather than footballers who can run?
  16. What monsters exist in the corridor?
  17. Was Broadbent remorseless or pathetic for monstering Parker when he was hurt?
  18. Did the players realise that the 50 metre arc at the SCG is only 45 metres from goal?
  19. Are our perceived best kickers actually our best kickers?
  20. Where is a good place to go on holiday in September?
  21. Will we outnumber Collingwood fans next Thursday?
  22. Did anyone notice the outstanding job in the match thread by No sane Portfan?
Another great Post
No sane Portfan is a Tom Jonas-apologising knob

Just disappointed tonight no more no less. That game was our whole season in a nutshell. Looked really good in patches, looked a bottom 4 side in others. It's not to much as a fan to expect a consistent 4 quarter effort from the players. Some of them for whatever reason are incapable of doing it. Jonas has to have a break, enough of those performances, Carlile should be dowright embarrassed and ashamed of himself tonight, that was the worst performance I've ever seen by a so called leader. Ryder also, he was next to nowhere and horrible. AhChee excites me long term feel we have found on there. But not a whole lot more I can say really other then this season needs to reviewed and thoroughly, from pre season beginning to season end and the lessons learnt and poor decisions never repeated again.

anyone else see when broadbent was trying to knock over Parker (I think that's who it was) when he was injured?

seriously play some good footy or don't be a ******.
Gee, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

What is the heat on PAFC like over there? All we get is crap Kenny blah process blah faith blah passages over here in the media

I'm not going to go table flipping mad this season. I can accept success isn't linear and good sides do have down years for whatever reason. Though I don't agree with all that's going on with selections, game day coaching or game style. Next year though, if we're down again. I'll be flipping every table at the Port Club.
Don't accept what's happened this year. It's that sort of resigned acceptance that has ruined us. Be mad and flip every table you can

seriously play some good footy or don't be a ******.
Well I think he will get a $1000 fine for that .. bumping an injured player who has a trainer in attendance .. very stupid

Last edited:
I thought there were real glimpses tonight. Our outs were more important than their outs so to say we lost to an injury depleted Sydney is Rubbish.

I think the best think once we are out of finals contention we will play the amazing football that we all know we can play and we'll be left wondering what could have been.

The thing that baffles me the most is our skill execution. I can't accept that a professional football team can consistently kick so poorly. Its the core reason you are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars each year.

Football is a frustrating game to watch at the moment.

Our outs more important than theirs? Seriously? They were without Franklin and Tippet and they lost 2 players during the game that should have given us the ascendency but instead we succumbed to their pressure and resilience.

We've been mentally shot all year.

I've gone past the point of stressing. It is hard to swallow that my club crumbles with expectation when that is what AFL is about and what my club was about when vying for the national league. It isn't about Broadbent the person/player but about Broadbent that rarely pushes his weight around, plays a very smooth style of game yet chose to nudge an injured player and he and the team were not able to back it up. It reminded me of the heydays when sanfl teams thought they were tough enough to take a game up to us and we would respond with more pressure and toughness ... except this time we are like those sanfl teams.

We haven't improved our skills overall. Most often we do not kick to our advantage. It is killing us. We are clumsy with the ball and the handball. We have not addressed slipping over. We tolerate out of form players. I don't want a big name dropped to "send a message", that's just big-noting. I want the best 22 selected. I want a strong mindset of players.

Of course there are game strategies and matchup issues that others are better at articulating than I.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back