Review R14: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

No amon, Cluery Trengove (bed ridden) Logan Austin, Frampton, Darcy Burn Jones, Tom Logan, John Butcher, alfie say hello pick me.

Did Moore touch the ball.

We are clearly rancid. Pathetic and embarrassing.

I'm so looking forward to humble admin and board members coming out saying how Sydney deserved to win and are such a good team. We hope to aspire to be like them instead of being like great teams of the past.

Was pleased we seem to show a bit more intent this week but we continually turned the ball over.
Almost feel sorry for Jonas, he looks like a rabbit in headlights, his confidence is shot.
Broadbent used to be a good kick.....
Pittard needs to play up the field. Happy that he continues to run but turnovers in our back half are killing us.

Liked Hartletts game, reasonable disposal and some of his niggle is back.
Ah Chee and Hoon both look good to me. Both offer more than Moore.....
Gray and Wingard clearly our best. Krakouer was also reasonable.
Westhoff probably played one of his better games to the year.

The rest.....ordinary.

The panic kicks dont bother me too much. You'll always get panic kicks from every team. Its the clear s**t kicks under minimal pressure due to laziness that did my head in tonight. 10-15 times players doing kicks off one step that didnt hit the target and put our team under ridiculous pressure. That isn't good enough. That isn't acceptable. That needs to be ironed out as soon as possible.

11 points in it, Q4. Westhoff wins a free for being pulled down on our RHF.

Backs up, tonks a 40m 9-iron on top of Schulz's head hard against the pocket, leaving Wingard no play at the contest, air or ground.

Ball falls over the back, Sydney sweep and switch with ease.

In the same situation a Swans player goes hard to the hotspot and we're pushing s**t uphill merely trying to defend it, let alone the D-Day we have to launch just to get it safely beyond the arc.

It is freaking comical how pathetic our entries and subsequent forward pressure have become this year.

Yeah, see I think even with the quick, instinctive footy, we look $1,000,000 moving the ball through the corridor and sharing it around, but then we get 65m out, and we bomb it to a 2 on 3 at the hot spot.

We work the ball through really well and just throw our good work down the toilet by failing to take advantage of scrambling defenders and spotting up a target 30m out.

We are the worst side in the AFL at this. We just blaze away to a contest every time and it costs us shitloads of goals.

And even when we did work it to a player in the forward 50 we missed just about every set shot.

It started in round 1 with Neade's miss from 15m out and hasn't improved.

We literally played tonight with 0 effective ruckmen, we got crushed by a potato forward line and we have the worst defence in the AFL.

We have 3 good players a week. Westhoff, Gray, and Hombsch this week, i'd happily drop 18 others.

I'm actually sick of us saying our defenders are good we have 1 maybe 2 good defenders the rest are killing us in every way.
Our defence is good at defending, but have lost all ability to get it out of the back 50 after winning a contest. If there's a stat for rebound 50's that come back again within 30 seconds our defence would have to be top 4 if not league leaders.

Is there issues with our leads hip group? Our leaders are the ones not standing up. Lobbe, Travis, Hamish, Jonas... had keen put too much pressure on them?

Our kicking continually falling short of its target it's appalling. Hate to say it no Dubai skills training at Alberton I think.

Very kind on Ryder to even give him a 2. I thought he was very lazy out there tonight. That Hannebery goal in the 4th where he marked almost unopposed about 30m out, Ryder saw him and then decided to just sit on the 50m line and clog up space instead of going to man him up. It was disgraceful, can't believe the commentators didn't pick up on it. Mind you they were very busy reminding us how many players Sydney were missing so in all fairness they didn't really have time to focus on the actual game.

I'm so looking forward to humble admin and board members coming out saying how Sydney deserved to win and are such a good team. We hope to aspire to be like them instead of being like great teams of the past.

I'm so sick of hearing that.

In the after match at Alberton after a loss a clearly angry John Cahill would get the mike and tell the supporters that was unacceptable to you and it was unacceptable to us. We will do better next week.

And we always believed him. He rarely let us down.

• Hartlett and Westhoff looked to find some form, but Boak, Wines, Ebert and both rucks struggled and Gray's kicking skills deserted him.
  • Ah Chee and Krakouer continued to be among this season's few positives. Congrats to Ah Chee on his first full game and his first AFL goal. It was an excellent goal too.
  • Colquhoun is an absolute magnet and is probably pretty well established in our best 22 if he keeps up his current form, but at times his disposal struggled with the small ground and Sydney's defensive pressure. He should be one who learns a lot from today's game.
  • I can handle Pittard with the ball in hand, I'd rather have someone who makes mistakes taking the game on than somebody who plays it safe and achieves nothing, but what the hell has happened to his spoiling ability this year? So many times he's been in position to make a spoil and the ball has somehow slipped over his hand and behind him out the back for an opposition goal.
  • As I posted in the game day thread, I'm currently working under the theory that Jonas has been zapped by the talent stealing aliens from Space Jam. Makes as much sense as any other explanation for his form this year.
  • Stewart was pretty good I thought, good attack on the ball and he flew the flag (wasn't that a sight for sore eyes) after the Australian of the Year decided to shove a skinny 20 year old in the back when he wasn't looking. Watch him get dropped next week while Jonas stays though because he's lower on Ken's unwavering depth chart.
  • I've lost patience with Monfries, I'd rather Neade in at this stage. The role he's being asked to play doesn't help, but the best defensive forwards chase the ball and kick/set up goals as well to keep their man accountable, and Monfries hasn't been doing that at all lately.
  • Broadbent's act on Parker while he was in the hands of the trainers was ****ing gutless. You can't fly the flag when Gibbs knocks out Gray last week but you can push a bloke hunched over in the hands of the trainers? I don't think I've seen a Port player do that in the AFL before and I hope I never see it again.
  • If you look up 'mediocre nothing midfielder' in the dictionary you'll see a big picture of Andrew Moore's face. He's like the anti-Pittard. Very rarely does anything terrible but very rarely does anything particularly good either.

Last edited:
11 points in it, Q4. Westhoff wins a free for being pulled down on our RHF.

Backs up, tonks a 40m 9-iron on top of Schulz's head hard against the pocket, leaving Wingard no play at the contest, air or ground.

Ball falls over the back, Sydney sweep and switch with ease.

In the same situation a Swans player goes hard to the hotspot and we're pushing s**t uphill merely trying to defend it, let alone the D-Day we have to launch just to get it safely beyond the arc.

It is freaking comical how pathetic our entries and subsequent forward pressure have become this year.
I LOVE this post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Clurey has to come in for TJ. He's like a kangaroo in the headlights every time he touches the ball. He's got zero confidence, disposal is poor and the hitman that we loved is a shadow of his former self.

Pittard racked up the disposals but 60% of them were crap. I would leave Stewart in for him or perhaps give O'Shea a few weeks to show wether he's worth keeping for 2016. However, I'm just not sure what SANFL would achieve for Pittard.

Ryder was rubbish but it was his first game back in a long time. Lobbe continues to offer very little, I'm so disappointed with his presence inside 50.

Anyway, I'll still be there next week. Love my PAFC through thick and than.

We tolerate too much s*** in this club....way way too much...

We wonder why we yo yo every f***ing year.....its simple we tolerate s***

No quality standards are put in place.....

its ok to have 5 bad games in a row because we know the 6th one will be good....

its ok to f*** up cost us goals week in and week out because you run....

its ok to have 2 or 3 bad qtrs because you 4th one was good....

its ok to be lazy because your reputation proceeds you...

Your current form means nothing because you were great for us in the past...

lets get this straight...its all well and good showing faith and showing loyalty....but the club owes players nothing....these players get payed well enough and have an opportunity that majority of us can only dream of...

The coaching staff and even some fans breed this s***....this is the result.

Take a step back and look at it this way, 12th place team lost by 10 points to the third place team, in anyone else's eyes it probably would be considered a "gallant effort" Sydney would have done the same to most other teams.

I don't give a s**t what Ken says it has to be a coaching directive to kick to the pockets. Our players can't be that consistently dumb can they?
No it is not a directive from the coaches. That doesn't make sense.

Our players lead to the pockets because its easier to take marks there. People like to conveniently forget all the times Monfries and Schulz lead from the middle but get monstered by the defender. They are just finished. Too old, too slow, not strong enough.

• Hartlett and Westhoff looked to find some form, but Boak, Wines and Ebert all struggled and Gray's kicking skills deserted him.
  • Ah Chee and Krakouer continued to be among this season's few positives. Congrats to Ah Chee on his first full game and his first AFL goal. It was an excellent goal too.
  • Colquhoun is an absolute magnet and is probably pretty well established in our best 22 if he keeps up his current form, but at times his disposal struggled with the small ground and Sydney's defensive pressure. He should be one who learns a lot from today's game.
  • I can handle Pittard with the ball in hand, I'd rather have someone who makes mistakes taking the game on than somebody who plays it safe and achieves nothing, but what the hell has happened to his spoiling ability this year? So many times he's been in position to make a spoil and the ball has somehow slipped over his hand and behind him out the back for an opposition goal.
  • As I posted in the game day thread, I'm currently working under the theory that Jonas has been zapped by the talent stealing aliens from Space Jam. Makes as much sense as any other explanation for his form this year.
  • Stewart was pretty good I thought, good attack on the ball and he flew the flag (wasn't that a site for sore eyes) after the Australian of the Year decided to shove a skinny 20 year old in the back when he wasn't looking. Watch him get dropped next week while Jonas stays though because he's lower on Ken's unwavering depth chart.
  • I've lost patience with Monfries, I'd rather Neade in at this stage. The role he's being asked to play doesn't help, but the best defensive forwards chase the ball and kick/set up goals as well to keep their man accountable, and Monfries hasn't been doing that at all lately.
  • Broadbent's act on Parker while he was in the hands of the trainers was ****ing gutless. You can't fly the flag when Gibbs knocks out Gray last week but you can push a bloke hunched over in the hands of the trainers? I don't think I've seen a Port player do that in the AFL before and I hope I never see it again.
Come on, surely you'd have to say Jonas is the victim of the saucer people, in conjunction with the Rand corporation under the supervision of reverse vampires are forcing Jonas to play badly to deprive us all from enjoying our dinners (as we are too busy hurling profanities at the TV).

When we play quick instinctive footy we look good. But then we slide back into that hesitant, our head is too full of tactics football and we fall away again. And once we close in on a lead we get scared and go back to looking like we are trying remember too many tactics rather than taking the game on.

Then the desperate bombing kicks start.
Who's fault is that? Coaches or players?

Really liked Ah Chee tonight.

Really don't like the lack of physicality or presence from a few players still. Pittard and Krak in the backline at the same time during 1v1 chaos situations will not work out over the course of a game.

Sorry to intrude was cheering use on as much as anyone tonight quick question regarding wines he is one of my favourite players to watch but lately he has been a shell of himself is he Still hampered by that arm injury ?? Or carrying something else ?? Because at ball ups he seems more then happy to sit on the outside and wait for the ball to spill out rather then win it himself like he was at the start of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back