Review R14: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

What is particularly said is that there was a real element of, "if we can get over the line here things will start coming together."
But that is the beauty of this team. You just know that when hope and expectation build, they will stop dead in their tracks until the game becomes unwinnable again. I don't recall who posted it earlier, but once this season is shot mathematically (ie in one week), we will start playing breathtaking footy again and piss away a top six draft pick.

I got as pissed off with Jasper's boo-boos tonight as the next guy, but I'd take his s**t over Broadbent's vanilla seagulling any day. Nothing player if ever we had one.

Yeah. For me, he is one of our biggest disappointments. When he is (too rarely) on form, he looks fantastic. When he's not, he's anonymous or a liability.

The real problem we have is that too many of our players have such a large gap between their good an bad games. Unfortunately, that includes many of our leaders.

One positive was Ah Chees game, really loved his effort to get in the packs and put his body on the line, as well as being smooth on the run.

Need more blokes like him.

I remember I mentioned that he had shown some improvement in the Maggies thread about two years ago and you generally agreed. I never said he was AFL quality but I thought he had earned one more season, just, he was almost falling off the edge. So here he is looking promising. Not blowing a trumpet here at all or getting on anyone's back but it showed that our development program has improved since the dark days and we need it to get more support still.

You can SEE the effort. The lesser lights -AhChee, Colquhoun, Moore - come in and look like they are desperate to prove something. And the Gold Pass holders - Jonas, Pittard, Schulz -play like they have nothing to prove. Questions, questions, questions...

1. When we slimmed down, was the reasoning was to make the guys run faster for longer?
We're off the PEDs. There, I said it
  1. Did we work on skills in the pre-season?
  2. How can a 20 metre pass miss the target by 15 metres?
Words fail to describe
  1. Do the players follow the leaders?
  2. When 16 defenders are in Sydney's forward 50, how can a 40 metre pass constantly find a Sydney forward taking an uncontested mark?
bizarre. just bizzare
  1. What happened to Tommy Jonas circa 2014?
  2. Why, on a short, wide ground, do we insist on playing short and wide?
no we don't . thats your imagination. ken said he hasn't changed his game plan
  1. When we desperately need a goal in the final stages, why does every one who gets the ball go every which way but forward?
if it didnt happen every time i'd disbelieve you. it starts in the centre where they are looking for a wide overlap runner ot receive it, and just keep going wider, and wider, and wider
  1. Does Pittard get dropped, or simply banned from the defensive 50?
IDGAF. he was s**t from day one and aside from 2 or 3 good games of 2 or 3 good running moves, he's done NOTHING. He's Hamish Harltett, we laud performance expected of an AFL player
  1. When was the last time one of our tall forwards took a contested mark from our long bombs?
  2. If it is good enough for a 5-gamer to fly the flag for an aggrieved team-mate, why can't the experienced heads show any aggression?
  3. Is Travis Boak playing injured? must be
  4. Would we prefer that Jay Schulz get suspended for two games or escape penalty altogether? suspended
  5. Do we miss Kane Cornes? day was gonna come eventually
  6. Has our recruiting recently been too focused on finding runners who play football rather than footballers who can run?
  7. What monsters exist in the corridor? KEN
  8. Was Broadbent remorseless or pathetic for monstering Parker when he was hurt?
maybe parker was into him before that? parker wasn't concussed. he had a sore leg. boo hoo
  1. Did the players realise that the 50 metre arc at the SCG is only 45 metres from goal? used to be but isn't now. Cassisi and Kornes were serial offenders for not knowing their limitations, kane mitchell and pittard are now. pittard shoudl have kicked to the top of the square at the end if he was not capable of kicking it 50 metres.

1. ,
  2. Are our perceived best kickers actually our best kickers? we have good kickers?
  3. Where is a good place to go on holiday in September?
  4. Will we outnumber Collingwood fans next Thursday? i dont want to think about it
  5. Did anyone notice the outstanding job in the match thread by No sane Portfan? too shellshocked

And there was one moment where Ah Chee burst through two Swans trying to tackle him with a crazy spin move, then put a handball on the chest of a Port player in the corridor about 10m away
It was beautiful, definitely the highlight of the game for me (not that were a lot of highlights to choose from).

Lobbe and Jonas are in the leadership group too... it's a massive worry.
A few of us have made the point weeks ago that one or more of the non performers should have been dropped , especially those in the leadership group , if a leader plays rubbish week in week out its even worse than a fringe player doing it , this Gold Pass thing really has me spooked , after Choko's effort and comments by the club regards not ever dissing the membership again I thought thanks Ch#$%t hope that sort of club destroying crap never comes back , but listening to KH the last few months has really got me doubting him , do yourself and all of us a favour Kenny , change course before you loose the members faith.

Good effort, we're not good enough.

I think we really need to identify what's breaking down with our forward entries. We so rarely spot a short option close to the 50m arc, and we're terrible at kicking long to advantage. We refuse to look inboard in attacking 50 when we have it on the wing fearful of a turnover when it worked so well last year. So we kick wide to Schulz and a pack situation we'll usually lose. Our mids worked hard, but they were so much less efficient than Sydney's. So many poor handballs, fumbles, slips, 2/3 handball chains when we have options to go forward asap. There was a moment when Hartlett marked during a switch in defense and skillfully kicked to Ryder in the middle of the ground who was able to get the ball going quickly through the corridor. Definite step in the right direction! 20 seconds later Jonas turns it over with a silly kick.

I actually thought Pittard played okay. His slip looked bad, but he made the right decision to go to the ball. Just needed to punch it cleaner. He also offers something going forward. I cringed every time Jonas had the ball.

But I think it'll come with time. This just aint our year.

As far as coaching goes, I'd like a mini-review on our forward coaching roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random player reviews for tonight and past few weeks:

Ryder/Lobbe: will stick by this, form of these two is irrelevant for me. Either we trade one or they have to learn to play together end of story.

Ryder will only play 5 or 6 more games for us anyway

A few of us have made the point weeks ago that one or more of the non performers should have been dropped , especially those in the leadership group , if a leader plays rubbish week in week out its even worse than a fringe player doing it , this Gold Pass thing really has me spooked , after Choko's effort and comments by the club regards not ever dissing the membership again I thought thanks Ch#$%t hope that sort of club destroying crap never comes back , but listening to KH the last few months has really got me doubting him , do yourself and all of us a favour Kenny , change course before you loose the members faith.

Yep. However not just dropped though, I want them to fight to return, not just token dropping. The best 22 must be picked and they must prove to be worthy of a recall. I remember P Burgoyne being dropped in his last season, played not very well but was reselected the next week. Did nothing. Although he asked to retire mid-season and Choco didn't let him, so doesn't help.

If Nankervis with that amorphous trunk of his, can be selected to play for a team like Sydney, and then proceed to run rings around Carlile and Lobbe, then Harvey can certainly step up to AFL level in a team like ours, and not look out of place next to his teammates.

amorphous trunk :D

It would be very interesting to know how many goals Jasper Pittard has saved, or set up in his AFL career so far, as opposed to how many he has cost.
I suspect he would be in the negative, and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

so far negative, would have been dropped, and traded

he doesn't cost goals, he kills momentum, he kills games. he's terrible

he's the manifestation of kens arrogance. he can't put that sauce back in the bottle

thats not kens style clearly

so far negative, would have been dropped, and traded

he doesn't cost goals, he kills momentum, he kills games. he's terrible

he's the manifestation of kens arrogance. he can't put that sauce back in the bottle

thats not kens style clearly

He got us back into the game VS freo in the finals and single handedly won us the game Vs north this year. He has his moments.. Id rather that then going down to stagnant attacks.

I think you are being a bit rough on Hombsch. I think 2 goals were a direct result of him trying to play on 2 forwards and players caught out of position. It was structurally a poor night all round from the defenders who seemed to let players get free too often.

Just watched kens presser. He gets and buys I to the 'port' history. What he does about our current state will be fascinating. I like and have faith in Ken, I don't have faith in half the playing group.

Ken has apparently said there will be changes via twitter (strange MO IMO).

I called for Jonas to be dropped after he was awful against West Coast the week after getting pantsed by Betts. He's the most obvious to go because we actually have some players that can replace him.

Others like Broadbent, Lobbe and Pittard are probably only being spared the chop because we have no one capable to replace them. Ken's hands are largely tied by the lack of form and talent in our reserves, which is probably why we have seen a rotation of SANFL capable vanilla half forwards through the squad but not much else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back