Review Match review v blues.. The good, the bad and Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

Highlight of the day actually came from the commentary box, which is remarkable given the flogs that were in there.

Richo (talking about Caleb Daniel): He certainly looks little out there."
BT: "He is, Richo."
Channel 7 were atrocious tonight. The amount of slow-mo vision they show to the detriment of the live action ( in a box at the bottom right of the screen) is plain stupid. The footage of the little leaguers warming up instead of our entry into the forward 50 was..... Bewildering

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought Honeychurch was shithouse. Didn't want to burn the kid too much after coming back in after an extended spell outside the seniors but his decision making was atrocious.

At least two set shots on difficult angles should have been centred but ended up in low percentage opportunity shots, along with the along the ground snap when he clearly would have seen Dickson free near the top of the square.

Proceeded to run straight into a tackle after we won the ball from the centre bounce via Wallis. Resulted in a turnover down to the Carlton forwardline.

If teams are going to start forcing us wider we need bail out options. Boyd and redpath alternating at chf and ff might just work.

If teams are going to start forcing us wider we need bail out options. Boyd and redpath alternating at chf and ff might just work.
The issue is that unless you play Roughead almost entirely in defence (which we don't seem to want to do) you can't play Minson, Roughead, Boyd and Redpath. Something has to give. Might get an opportunity to see how it goes if Rough's shoulder is bad, but longer term it's a conundrum.

What happened to Honey? At the start of the year he looked so good. Tonight he was just... no finesse, not even manic pressure that he's known for.

Our record against the scum is shocking, any win is fantastic. Enjoy the win, we are playing more conservatively pace wise and did not go through the middle on most occasions. Other teams are taking us seriously now and their pressure was much improved.

Two great efforts in the second half, Big Will and Shorty Daniel. Wilbur turned it on and evened up the hit outs and clearances, he was very good. As for Caleb Daniel, went to watch him at Sandy last sunday and he never disappoints. He is such a smart player and turned the game in the third quarter.

The crowd reaction was similar to when Luke D came into the team and now we have both - small and exciting.

God, Daniel is one of the most talented footballers I've seen. Think he'll go on to have a long career in spite of his height.

Honeychurch was an abomination tonite. Awful. Dickson wasn't much better.

Bont and dal are just going as well.

At the game you could see Dickson's work rate was high and he stood out at times with his running patterns, not too concerned.

Our record against the scum is shocking, any win is fantastic. Enjoy the win, we are playing more conservatively pace wise and did not go through the middle on most occasions. Other teams are taking us seriously now and their pressure was much improved.

Two great efforts in the second half, Big Will and Shorty Daniel. Wilbur turned it on and evened up the hit outs and clearances, he was very good. As for Caleb Daniel, went to watch him at Sandy last sunday and he never disappoints. He is such a smart player and turned the game in the third quarter.

The crowd reaction was similar to when Luke D came into the team and now we have both - small and exciting.
Yeah that third quarter was really exciting, for the first time we actually started to run them off their feet. Caleb seemed to get loose at will and we moved the ball though the middle. The last month we seem to have lost the work ethic we had earlier in the season. Celeb showed us how to do it.,really amazing from an 18 yo. Don't get it why we took our foot off their throat in the last. Playing it safe like that cost us at least 2 games last year (Essendon the Giants). Good teams finish their opponents off when they the chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really thought that CD got the team back on track in the third quarter and the Yojimbo Andrew Hooper reference was extremely apt.

Apart from that we were damned lucky that Carlton couldn't buy a goal with their woeful kicking which is unusual for Carlton as purchasing has never been a real issue for them normally - just the paperwork.

John Elliot and Ian Collins - hope you enjoyed the evening ... PIGS ARSE

shithouse game I reckon.
This will test Bev for the rest of the year, teams have worked us out now and we need to counter this crap defensive tactics that drag us down. Teams better than saints and blues will more than likely beat us.

The last 10mins of holding it up almost cost us I reckon.

Bont was disappointing.

Stringer named in our best in the game review article on AFL website. I rate the guy as much as anyone, but not sure he was in the bests.

edit: Jake played a reasonable second half with 3 goals, but Mclean was more consistent over the 4 quarters

What happened to Honey? At the start of the year he looked so good. Tonight he was just... no finesse, not even manic pressure that he's known for.

Starting to sound like MD , but never been a Honeychurch fan. Love his desperation and his attack on the footy , but blokes of his size with very ordinary skills will be hard pressed to make it.

If McLean's AC joint is "badly" damaged, then I fear his season is over. Put him under the knife and give him the maximum amount of time to recover, no more Clay Smith stuff ups please.

I don't even want to think about chronic shoulder problems.

Let's not hang Honey off the back of a couple of poor shots at goal from acute angles.

He consistently worked to put himself in a position to score and that's plenty more than can be said for some others.

His finishing was consistently poor, but he'll adjust as he did after his rusty start to the year.

Defending "my boy" aside, pleased with the win over that mob however it was done, less pleased by the 40 minutes I spent trying to get out of the car park. Was anyone else down there for the big meltdown?

Let's not hang Honey off the back of a couple of poor shots at goal from acute angles.

He consistently worked to put himself in a position to score and that's plenty more than can be said for some others.

His finishing was consistently poor, but he'll adjust as he did after his rusty start to the year.

I rate AFL Player Ratings more than most stats. Honey actually received a negative score tonight. He was only ahead of.... Carlton's top 2014 draft pick (LOL!)

CJEd1N-UkAAItWY.png

By the way, interesting how low Macrae's rating was, considering his numbers. Says a fair bit about his disposal tonight, I think.

Last edited:

Defending "my boy" aside, pleased with the win over that mob however it was done, less pleased by the 40 minutes I spent trying to get out of the car park. Was anyone else down there for the big meltdown?
Big meltdown? Were lolnorf fans in the car park? :p

Probably the most unenthused I've been after a win, but hey we are 8-5!! And that's f**king great.

Big props to Koby, has been awesome this year and just goes about his business every week.

Little Daniel sparked us, come on at a perfect time. Didn't do a thing wrong tonight.

Really loved Macrae's game, been awesome since he come back into the side. His ball use as improved.

Boydy has to go around again next year, career best form imo.

Honey was disappointing, if Hrovat is fit he needs to come in for him or even Dale or Hunter.

Also thought Grant was awesome early, faded out of it but he is showing great signs.

Bring on the Suns next week, said a few weeks ago it is the game I'm most worried about. Think we are due for a loss but I'm going up to watch it so I hope we give them hell.

Not great but happy enough to just get the win to be honest. CD is a jet! Absolutely love him, and McLean, geez he is already a lock. Genuine gun. Absolutely shattered about his shoulder, lets just hope its not too bad :(

Liked Redpaths game a lot too, and believe we should try the Boyd/Red combo again, although it might take a few weeks to click its worth it. His tackle deep on the forward line was absolutely brutal and technically beautiful. Loved it. Not sure what to do with the ruck situation then as its obviously either Minno or Rough alone with Boyd and Red. Very annoyed with Roughs injury too so lets hope he's okay, we need him! Wheres that leave Crameri too? Just can't fit em all in so need to find the best structure.

Moz is a bloody champ, played with a broken jaw, we're going to miss him so much, maybe paths a way for Talia again though.

Stringer has been a bit down but jesus how good is he?! When he starts presenting a bit more which he absolutely needs too, and can get some nice easy ones on the lead, well he will be kicking 4+ goals every single week. Ridiculous ability to create something from nothing.

Honey was pretty shocking. Just has to do something about his finishing as he will simply not make it unless he fixes that up a hell of a lot, which I'm confident he can.

Wood, Boyd, Murph... as usual, bloody fantastic.

Boydy has to go around again next year, career best form imo.
Post-match, Murphy said something like, "It doesn't look like he's finishing up any time soon." Not an exact quote as my memory is awful but it was along those lines. Good to hear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back