Review Match review v blues.. The good, the bad and Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

Big meltdown? Were lolnorf fans in the car park? :p
It sounded like it!

After about 10 minutes, the 500+ cars down there started blasting the horns, and it happened every few minutes until we got out.

Etihad staff were booed and yelled at, and people were burning rubber as soon as they got out of there, too.

Was hysterical, but frustrating.

I hate to be negative after a win, and the 4 points is great and all, as is being 7th on the ladder.

But I mean our form by and large has been really poor for the last two games and the fact that we've played lesser opposition (both St Kilda and Carlton had some really bad unforced errors that contributed to our narrow wins, too) has kind of hid that to an extent. Sure, the club will take the wins. But you cannot continue to play this way and expect to continue to win games. Gold Coast will smash us if we go in next week playing like this. Slow, missing targets uninspired, tackling with the strength and effectiveness of a wet paper towel. And for god's sake, when the ball is in our 50, someone just kick the thing! No more handballing around the 50 meter arc until we turn it over. We look great when we're being decisive and either having cracks on goal (as long as they aren't set shots) or setting up team mates. Sometimes someone just has to take the initiative and have a go. And trying to ice the clock with 10 minutes to go when you're only up 17? 3 goals in 10 minutes is very doable. We needed just one more to really ice that game...and they never looked like doing it. 10 minutes is a long time to wind down the clock. A good team punishes that. They have to play aggressively and do it for as long as possible; not fading for a quarter, and particularly not slacking off in the last 15 minutes. We play any top 8 team like that and we'd got hammered.

Anyway, I could go on but that's enough negativity considering we still won and are in the 8. Caleb Daniel. That is all. McLean's injury sucks because he looks awesome. Redpath, whilst not kicking a goal, did everything else right, just about. He drove a couple of Carlton players to the centre of the earth with his tackling, probably leaving little Carlton player shaped craters in the stadium. Wood is good. JJ is an absolute jet. His pace and confidence is incredible. If Bonti was playing with the confidence JJ possesses he'd be playing at a much higher level. Absolutely loving it. And this is including his double don't argue from last week...He's found that pre-Cameron bump mojo, and then some. Boyd has been so good. That's probably all the notable positives from that match.

Some players need to really find a way to get into it. Bonti has no confidence at the moment, Stringer goes missing for large chunks of game (but when he turns it on, boy, does he turn it on), Macrae needs to up that football iq...When we get these three sorted we'll be a bit more competitive an outfit. Note: I am more than 100% fed up with out set shots. Jesus. And let's not act like this is a new problem- it was just as bad last season. They should be investing a lot more in fixing the goal kicking of this team. The Port and Melbourne losses came about in part because we missed a lot early; if we want to play finals we can't be constantly missing easy shots the other team will make. Long post over, time to contemplate whether I should just shut up and be happy that we won and are now 7th on the ladder (haha, take that media)

Called it. Daniel will be the best of our draftees.
I second that.... and a few should be eating some humble pie for their comments on the game thread. "We effectively traded him for Liam Jones"..... if that was the case, it was a rip snorter of a trade as far as I can tell. He did more in 2 qtrs than Jones did all last season, on debut.

Was woken at 5:45am by nearby hot air balloon commentator on a loud speaker even though the 4th of July festival is a mile away, so decided to check the scores. I think it was halftime. Wasn't able to fall asleep, so checked the scores in the dying minutes. Went back to bed. I'm happy. Sleep after the match and a win. It might have not been the prettiest sight, but it sure beats losing. In the 8? Never would have thunk it a year ago!:p

I'd like to see Toyd and Big Red playing forward together. Learn to play together, and offer separate targets. Split the defensive zones getting applied to us now days. I would hope with that it would give Dahl, stringer and a few others going forward a bit more freedom and space as well. Boyd was recruited as our "needed" key forward, but it isn't working as of yet with our structures, and just swapping him for big red puts him in the same boat. I really want to see them both playing half forward and forward, and letting stringer etc a bit more movement to the centre for some targets off our backline, when we are getting flooded and can't run it through the middle like we have in the first half of the season. Thats what I've taken from the last to two games. Two big forwards that can offer seperate leads, can generally compete one on one, will slow the flooding, allow more movement through the centre and offer targets further up off the goal square. More like Buddy and Co, and Roughead and co at Hawthorn. I think it will help create more targets on the 50, and in the 50 instead of bombing it in to a zoned defense that converges on the bomb and offers no help to Toyd or Big Red when it becomes a pack contest. Many saying big red isnt up to AFL standard. I believe he is, but needs the structures to get more one on one, as with Toyd. Red kicked 5 last week in the vfl, so he can kick, he took a few contested marks today but missed the shots. He is there abouts, as is Toyd, but our forward setup just is not happening as of yet as far as I'm concerned.

Thought Macrae, McLean, Daniel, Johanison and Stevens were our best, though I was out and only saw portions of the game.

Kept bombing to Stringer in the square which wasn't working. I actually thought to myself that we needed T Boyd at times, which is an extremely good sign. Dickson and Dalhaus were quiet for pretty consistent performers.

This ugly brand of footy we've played since the Port game (barring GWS) has got me a little worried. Whatever gets the 4 points, though.

Also entry into our forward 50 has been disgusting, probably need to get Dale, Hrovat and Webb back in and delivering inside 50 tbh. And we absolutely must do lots of work on our set shots and just overall conversion too I guess, its absolutely terrible.

Redpath was fantastic. Took some great marks and threw his weight around.
Caleb Daniel was excellent. Provided the spark we needed.
McLean was excellent as well. Started to see him flying for marks. Get better soon son! Hopefully they just pop the shoulder in and he's only out for 2 or 3 weeks.

We are not playing exciting footy at all.
We seem to play burst footy and then try and defend a small lead. Hopefully this changes because it's a really taxing way to play and s**t to watch.
Remember the drink!
Creep our way into the finals, play boring footy so people forget about us, then run amok when we play the big guns.... Its all part of the master plan!

I second that.... and a few should be eating some humble pie for their comments on the game thread. "We effectively traded him for Liam Jones"..... if that was the case, it was a rip snorter of a trade as far as I can tell. He did more in 2 qtrs than Jones did all last season, on debut.

Fairly certain those comments were ironic.

I rate AFL Player Ratings more than most stats. Honey actually received a negative score tonight. He was only ahead of.... Carlton's top 2014 draft pick (LOL!)

CJEd1N-UkAAItWY.png

By the way, interesting how low Macrae's rating was, considering his numbers. Says a fair bit about his disposal tonight, I think.
AFL Player Rating points really should be more widespread - it truly is the only statistic that you can call "advanced statistics"
It's Champion Data's lovechild though so they want to make sure it's perfect and it's being used in the right ways (and ensure that people understand how it works, which is actually quite complex) before they aggressively push it as a great stat.

Also, Macrae's points for his 30-odd touches just show you how little impact on the game with his poor kicking and high uncontested possession ratio that he actually has.

Back at the hotel after a few post game beers.....

I reckon this is the type of game I'd be pissed off if I was watching on tv, but wasn't so fussed being at the ground. Yes, we were poor in a number of areas but we looked quite professional in icing the game in the 4th from a long way out.

Redpath not great - Boyd already gives us more, so unless the drink sees them playing together I think Jack might be vfl only. Draftees all great, CD in the third was awesome. Good night all in all .

I wouldn't be to fussed by the final margin - we started icing the game very, very early (with 10 minutes left) which meant that we easily could have kicked the two or three more to win the game by 6 goals but we made sure that we didn't 100% lose the game, especially after the first St. Kilda game.
Carlton may have kicked those two to bring it back to 11 points but they were never going to kick the extra two to actually win the game.
I'm not too concerned cause that's how you win finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate AFL Player Ratings more than most stats. Honey actually received a negative score tonight. He was only ahead of.... Carlton's top 2014 draft pick (LOL!)

CJEd1N-UkAAItWY.png

By the way, interesting how low Macrae's rating was, considering his numbers. Says a fair bit about his disposal tonight, I think.

Dahlhaus's third quarter :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not surprised we've had our mayhem footy halted.
Did anyone honestly think you can sustain that for a year with this young team?
Teams will eliminate your strengths and it's finding a way to win ,is just paramount .
I thought our second quarter was poor, and we were lucky to be only a kick down , but the third and the majority of the last we controlled it. I liked the fact we were able to take the air out of the game in the last 5 minutes.

I think we're actually having a mid-season slump, so to win tonight and last week has been great.

We missed Boyd tonight. How many marks did the Carlton backmen take?
Sometimes you can only tell how much impact a player has by what happens when he's not playing...

Winning ugly is still winning.
Can we make it a trifecta?

Thought Maclean and Daniel were fantastic, and Boyd was a great leader out there. Honeychurch shouldn't be playing ahead of Hrovat, just doesn't have a weapon hopefully he can go back to the vfl and work on it. Wasn't a fan of either Stringer or Redpath's game both were slaughtered by their opponents.

I think we all know that balls at ground level are not Redpath's forte. We do, however, have a number of players on the list who are supposed to be very good below the knees. I'm simply amazed at all the comments about how s#*t Jack performed at this task in the first half when, with very few exceptions, our whole team was pretty atrocious at it. Kicking straight is one of Big Red's fortes though, so I am more disappointed in his missed shot on goal than his play below the knees. With the boatload of groundballs that were bobbled, fumbled and overrun there are plenty of other Doggies to be disappointed with in that regard.

Now all that said, WE WON!!! It's a national holiday here and it is now after noon. I will be CELEBRATING for the rest of the day!

Is there a possibility that we get 4-5 goals up in the last qtr and just put the cue in the rack and let the cool heads ice the game? Guys like Boyd, Murph, Morris, Wood etc in the backline just chip it around for 10 mins. We've done it twice in a row now, maybe bevo thinks the season may wear on our young side so he is really trying to save every ounce of energy we have. I mean we kicked 2 goals in the first 2 mins of the last quarter and then we just stopped. Happened against the saints too. Why else would we just stop playing attacking footy and get so timid?

I listened to the game on the AFL app while paddle boating on the Elbe River in Prague - I'm glad the boys didn't make it too stressful :)

I watched the re-run of the game sitting in our cool hotel room in Prague, after the Irish Bar in Old Town couldn't get it up in their sports bar.

I watched the re-run of the game sitting in our cool hotel room in Prague, after the Irish Bar in Old Town couldn't get it up in their sports bar.

I searched trip advisor but couldn't find anywhere likely to show it. Sounds frustrating but the replay would have been nice watching :) Have you seen the little shop in a street leading towards Charles Bridge that sells babushka dolls including those of AFL teams? Unfortunately Ryan Griffen was on the outside so I didn't buy one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back