BigFooty Official 2015 Big Footy Phantom Draft (Trial Run)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather have the ball than be chasing and trying to get it back off the opposition. Mathieson just finds it and unlike most accumulators he actually wins it himself instead of hanging around the back ala Kieran Lovell. And besides, its not like he is a turnover merchant. Its not pretty but it gets to where it needs to go.
C'mon Gee Dub, Lovell most contested possessions in 2 out of 3 games and 2nd most in the other. I don't think you get them, "hanging around the back".
Did you watch Tas v NT?

C'mon Gee Dub, Lovell most contested possessions in 2 out of 3 games and 2nd most in the other. I don't think you get them, "hanging around the back".
Did you watch Tas v NT?

I could have named many others but knew I'd get the biggest rise out of naming Lovell ;) I think its pretty well known I don't rate him. Sure he wins contested possessions but its not like he won 35 of them a game. I just seemed to notice him out the back and getting cheap handballs, sometimes under pressure when he really shouldn't call for it which I believe counts as a cp, whenever I've seen him (including the NT game). Maybe I need to have a closer look. Anyway its not really about Lovell, it was more a passing comment about people winning clearances and hard ball.

Well Snoop Dog looks like your choice is a wise one for Geelong.

The other player I would have taken has gone 2 picks earlier, so Geelong will take Curnow. Write up to follow.

Last edited:
# 10 – Harry McKay (Gippsland Power / 200kg / 85kg)

Not an easy selection as probably 6-8 could easily have been picked but am drawn to McKay. One of our local kids and I think his development prospects are huge. His first game vs Dandy was really special and he is just so raw still. Athletically he is amazing as you can see and he kicks well and leads well. Not sure what his best spot will be as he could play a number of different roles depending on how a club wants to develop him. He could even play that forward / ruck rover role that Roughead sometimes plays. He just offers a club so much potential and he reminds me very much of Ben Reid at the same age.

As mentioned any of Weidemann, Balic, Tucker, Keays, Dunkley, Hipwood and Kennedy were all in my line of sight. Really keen to see where people drop Kennedy. Didnt want to drop him as keen to see where others place him.

If Kennedy wasn't the exact thing the Crows didn't need, I'd have picked him here. 14-15/18 clubs and I select him. He's good.

But unfortunately we've got no problems with ball winning and no shortage of butchers. Crows have two key needs - composure and speed on the outside and more key positions to come through and develop. Tucker hasn't justified going this high, Ah Chee lacks the production and linebreaking to be the wingman type we want, Balic is just slow and Bonner I favour in the back half. So I'm going to go tall. Curnow was the hope but alas not to be. There's a few real talls left here, Weideman is a rare case where I'm subscribing to the bigfooty groupthink - he hasn't sold me at all. Collins would be nice but I feel it's a little early for a player like him which leaves it down to Hipwood and Burton. In November, Hipwood goes higher. Burton's got the ?s with his leg as well as being a genuine tweener size, clubs turn off him, I'm guessing. In the forward half I'm not sold on Hipwood's contested game nor his leading patterns which is why I'm picking Ryan Burton. I feel like Hipwood ends up a defender. And a good one. But Burton I just really believe makes the grade as a genuine forward.

Ryan Burton - North Adelaide/SA (31/1/97, 191 cm, 90 kg, key forward)

There are very few people who have seen Ryan Burton live and thankfully I'm one - he is a fantastic footballer. A year ago, the only knock on him was height; he was listed at 191cm then, and still is now. Whether he has grown or not over the last year is not known - but any growth improves his stocks as he's a bit of a 'tweener' at the moment; inbetween key forward and small forward size. Combine that with his exclusive forward game and his non-ideal height - but it is still something he can work around; plenty of the best forwards have been between 6'3 and 6'4. The other unfortunate knock on Burton is his horrific broken leg. He broke it mid last year and a year later, still hasn't played such was the severity of his injury. Broken legs are often career impacting injuries, and drafting a player who will have not played for the best part of a season and a half is a serious risk, let alone factoring in the long term effects of that injury. But if there was a player worth drafting despite all those question marks, it is Burton. Having made his SANFL league debut at 16 in his bottom-age year, he didn't look out of place in the North Adelaide senior lineup. In the first game of last year's championships, he was the dominant player on the ground and kicked five goals. At this stage, he is a lead up forward - and his leading patterns are elite, constantly putting himself in dangerous places, double backing and working his opponent over. To compliment that leading game, he is exceptionally clean at ground level and in the air, possessing sticky hands and a good leap as well as taking it at the highest point when needed. I don't think I've ever seen him fumble or two-grab - even under strong contact. By foot, he's useful, being able to spot up targets and penetrate. His set shot for goal is very reliable and he possesses a long range kick, capable of knocking them down from well outside the arc. At this stage he hasn't shown a major contested game nor much scope for the midfield; he is the height of those forwards who pinch hit through the middle like Roughead and Darling (as well as Curnow from this year) but does not have the frame or game for that yet. But in time it may develop.

I've picked him for Adelaide for two reasons - their record at developing key forwards is excellent, so I suspect if he is to overcome the broken leg, Adelaide is the club for it, but predominantly I feel like even with the leg factored in, he's less risk than anyone else on the board. He's got the record and the productio. Others don't. They're based on flashes and speculation. Burton is substance. Does he have the game to be a superstar? Probably not. But he does have enough to be a very handy second forward, which is good enough for me at pick 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

# 8 North Melbourne - Luke Partington

Luke Partington
Height: 182 cm,

Weight: 75 kg,

DOB: 05/03/1997
Recruited from: Port Adelaide

What do I like about Partington? Where do I start?

[1] Partington isn’t slow.

Many of North’s mids, except for Boomer Harvey and Wells, tend to be a little one paced. While Partington is not an elite speed machine, he would improve North’s leg speed around the ball and in the centre square considerably. He also tends to take the game on, which makes him look like he has pace. He also tends to run intelligently and is usually in the right spot at the right time.

[2] Decision Making:

Partington’s vision is good: he is not just a get it and kick it player. He appears to look around intelligently. He reads the tap quite well, even when his ruckman is not having it all his own way.

[3] Disposal:

You wouldn’t call Partington’s disposal elite, but it is good both by hand and foot. Just don’t expect him to kick it 60 m. It isn’t going to happen. If he is breaking from the centre he is an excellent chance of finding his target instead of spraying it.

[4] He is probably more of an outside player at the moment, but his inside game has improved significantly this year. It is pretty clear that until recently he was always the hunted and had the ability to deal with that. Now that he is in company that includes players as good as he is, he is working on the negative side of his game. He still has improvements to be had in this area, but he isn’t soft. He does run defensively as well as offensively, but it is clearly something he is consciously adding to his play, not a natural part of things.

Partington doesn’t have any single weapon that sticks out – some may even consider him ‘vanilla’. However, if he is vanilla, then he is top of the range, not the cheap supermarket version. He doesn’t have any serious weaknesses, but he can improve in most areas. He is already at the point where he could well fit into an ALF team’s midfield. When he gets there, expect him to get a lot of the ball.

If Kennedy wasn't the exact thing the Crows didn't need, I'd have picked him here. 14-15/18 clubs and I select him. He's good.

But unfortunately we've got no problems with ball winning and no shortage of butchers. Crows have two key needs - composure and speed on the outside and more key positions to come through and develop. Tucker hasn't justified going this high, Ah Chee lacks the production and linebreaking to be the wingman type we want, Balic is just slow and Bonner I favour in the back half. So I'm going to go tall. Curnow was the hope but alas not to be. There's a few real talls left here, Weideman is a rare case where I'm subscribing to the bigfooty groupthink - he hasn't sold me at all. Collins would be nice but I feel it's a little early for a player like him which leaves it down to Hipwood and Burton. In November, Hipwood goes higher. Burton's got the ?s with his leg as well as being a genuine tweener size, clubs turn off him, I'm guessing. In the forward half I'm not sold on Hipwood's contested game nor his leading patterns which is why I'm picking Ryan Burton. I feel like Hipwood ends up a defender. And a good one. But Burton I just really believe makes the grade as a genuine forward.

There are very few people who have seen Ryan Burton live and thankfully I'm one - he is a fantastic footballer. A year ago, the only knock on him was height; he was listed at 191cm then, and still is now. Whether he has grown or not over the last year is not known - but any growth improves his stocks as he's a bit of a 'tweener' at the moment; inbetween key forward and small forward size. Combine that with his exclusive forward game and his non-ideal height - but it is still something he can work around; plenty of the best forwards have been between 6'3 and 6'4. The other unfortunate knock on Burton is his horrific broken leg. He broke it mid last year and a year later, still hasn't played such was the severity of his injury. Broken legs are often career impacting injuries, and drafting a player who will have not played for the best part of a season and a half is a serious risk, let alone factoring in the long term effects of that injury. But if there was a player worth drafting despite all those question marks, it is Burton. Having made his SANFL league debut at 16 in his bottom-age year, he didn't look out of place in the North Adelaide senior lineup. In the first game of last year's championships, he was the dominant player on the ground and kicked five goals. At this stage, he is a lead up forward - and his leading patterns are elite, constantly putting himself in dangerous places, double backing and working his opponent over. To compliment that leading game, he is exceptionally clean at ground level and in the air, possessing sticky hands and a good leap as well as taking it at the highest point when needed. I don't think I've ever seen him fumble or two-grab - even under strong contact. By foot, he's useful, being able to spot up targets and penetrate. His set shot for goal is very reliable and he possesses a long range kick, capable of knocking them down from well outside the arc. At this stage he hasn't shown a major contested game nor much scope for the midfield; he is the height of those forwards who pinch hit through the middle like Roughead and Darling (as well as Curnow from this year) but does not have the frame or game for that yet. But in time it may develop.

I've picked him for Adelaide for two reasons - their record at developing key forwards is excellent, so I suspect if he is to overcome the broken leg, Adelaide is the club for it, but predominantly I feel like even with the leg factored in, he's less risk than anyone else on the board. He's got the record and the productio. Others don't. They're based on flashes and speculation. Burton is substance. Does he have the game to be a superstar? Probably not. But he does have enough to be a very handy second forward, which is good enough for me at pick 11.

Terrific write up Skippos. Given clear direction as to what player you'd like and why Burton is the better option to Hipwood. Hopefully we see this for the next 4 rounds from you as well.

FWIW I've got Burton going before Hipwood as well, there's definite question marks over his leg but I've got him going to North as a first round pick in my phantom.

Who does everyone think the Suns will pick? I'm feeling more of a contested ball winner/ outsider as we have kpp at either end of the ground and I feel we haut need a little more run and contested possessions winner

Great write up Skippos nailed it with your assessment on Burton. I too believe the Crows will take him.

Richmond Pick 13

Player: Matthew Kennedy (NSW/ACT)
Height: 187cm Weight: 84cm
DOB: 6/04/1997
Club: Collingullie-GP
Position: Midfielder

Kennedy has really shot up draft boards since the beginning of the year. Averaging 23.2 disposals in his five games for NSW/ACT in the TAC Cup. Richmond are very happy to have the chance to draft him, as Kennedy is expected to feature in top 10-15 bidding due to his link with the GWS academy.

Kennedy looks a bit like Trent Cotchin the way he runs (almost a splitting image from behind & the mop of hair). He has a sense of class and poise of him when he has the ball and uses the ball well on most occasions.

Unfortunately Kennedy injured himself just before the NAB AFL U18s champs, hurting his knee. He is still currently sidelined, but hopefully he'll be able to play towards the end of the year/ feature at the national combine.

Kennedy plays off half back and through the midfield, kicking strongly on both feet. Kennedy has good pace, breaking the lines when playing off half back. Kennedy also has the ability to play in the centre and is good around the stoppages, using his pace to break past opponents and drill the ball forward. His ability to intercept mark as a HBF is good due to his strong marking overhead, often using his two way running to help out teammates- taking 26 marks this year.

His best game this year came against Oakleigh Chargers in May, where he had 30 disposals and kicked two goals looking a class above the others on the ground.

Kennedy is one that we could see in 2016 playing in the season, either off half back or in the midfield.

Last edited:

Solid pick skippos ...reckon the crows will strongly consider Burton, McKay , weidemann , Bonner and tucker ... Phil Walsh loved his left footers and good ball users , if his legacy lives and given our dearth of good ball users by foot I reckon Bonner is a real chance . I'd be happy with tucker for his outside speed but Burton is also a massive show with his elite talent and match winning ability which the crows also lack - a guy to take charge and win us the game when it gets tight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back