Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many get to the elite level if you are classing Ablett, Pendles , Fyfe and Buddy as elite
Yep, totally agree, and that is my point. I would say elite is top 20ish in the AFL, and I don't think JDG has shown he wll get there. But he has shown he will be a good player for us, and really pleased we picked him up.

If you break JDG's game down into this stat or that stat, add dropped marks and poor kicks, etc, then its not that impressive. And a lot of the errors can be attributed to youth and inexperience.

But the kid can play footy. He he gets himself into the right places, he is hard and fearless, he has a presence. I like what I am seeing and he should not be the sub again. He is already best 22.

He can't do it himself like he tried tonight

Yep, totally agree, and that is my point. I would say elite is top 20ish in the AFL, and I don't think JDG has shown he wll get there. But he has shown he will be a good player for us, and really pleased we picked him up.

Fair call

Ive had a look at his stats (which I know don't tell the full story, but give you at least 80% of an idea on a player)

He stacks up quite well among rising stars this year and even in comparison to some of the top 20 players going around currently ( when comparing their first season to JDG)

You cant teach

- Grunt work
- Footy smarts
- Courage

Hes going to be more than handy for us in years to come, top 10 Draft picks are never a lock for a superstar, however this kid is far going to be a bust. I don't know why you guys are overly concerned, id be more concerned with Scharenberg and Freeman being injury prone.

We havent seen his clean marking yet. At under 18 level he had vice like hands. At AFL level he just isnt holding them.

When he gets this part of his game going it will make a huge difference

Watch him play is very exciting and seeing how much upside he has is Great

Hes going to be more than handy for us in years to come, top 10 Draft picks are never a lock for a superstar, however this kid is far going to be a bust. I don't know why you guys are overly concerned, id be more concerned with Scharenberg and Freeman being injury prone.

Again, I want to be really clear - I am not concerned in the slightest (and i don't think others are either). I am very confident he won't be a bust. I just am not yet convinced he will make it to the elite of the competition.

Cheif Ten Bears suggested that if we didn't see that he was going to be elite that we were ordinary posters, and I was just explaining that he hasn't shown enough for anyone to be certain of that just yet.

I like his attitude more so than his footy at this stage, he seems like he absolutely loves the place, he goes where some draftees will not, right into the heat of battle, toe to toe with big bodied opposition players, and clearly he has won the respect of coach and players.

I think he'll be quite the player, I don't know if he'll be elite, but if he doesn't it won't be from a lack of effort.

We got a good one.

Last edited:
I like his attitude more so than his footy at this stage, he seems like he absolutely loves the place, he goes where some draftee's will not, right into the heat of battle, toe to toe with big bodied opposition players, and clearly he has won the respect of coach and players.

I think he'll be quite the player, I don't know if he'll be elite, but if he doesn't it won't be from a lack of effort.

We got a good one.

Beautifully put.

At this stage of his development I'm very impressed with the way he carries himself.

He's a first year player that has slotted right in at the highest level. :) That's the exception, not the norm; I just shake my head at his temperament, he's just a kid!

In 2-3 years he will be stronger, faster, and better able to run out games. Lookout.

I think he's one of the most outstanding prospects we've seen on our list. Like you said his work ethic is second to none and he won't die wondering.

He is the Best that has Looked in the AFL. Played the Most so no Surprise.

He win the best 1st Year Player award this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JDG will be a star without a doubt. If freeman is half as good we'll win another flag - unfortunately I think freeman is going to be a poor mans Delideo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDG will be a star without a doubt. If freeman is half as good we'll win another flag - unfortunately I think freeman is going to be a poor mans Delideo

Why?

I think the one knock on him coming in is that he doesn't get his hands on the pill as often as you'd like, and to some degree it has played out that way in his first handful of games - he does some nice things but he also disappears at times.

A couple of pre-seasons, a bigger tank and a bit of tutelage from a couple of the most prolific ball-winners in the last decade in the fine art of off-the-ball movement and getting yourself into the contest as often as possible should hopefully sort that out.

Freeman appears to have below average football smarts and his instincts are not great. He also looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. I'm more worried about these traits than any long term injury concerns.

I have heard Buckley say that freeman doesn't yet understand the weapons he has at his disposal. Hopefully it's just a matter of him discovering his potential however the early signs arnt great.

Freeman appears to have below average football smarts and his instincts are not great. He also looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. I'm more worried about these traits than any long term injury concerns.

I have heard Buckley say that freeman doesn't yet understand the weapons he has at his disposal. Hopefully it's just a matter of him discovering his potential however the early signs arnt great.

Not sure if this is a serious post or sarcasm

Not sure if this is a serious post or sarcasm

I'm about as serious as I was pre season when I said we won the Beams deal and that De Goey and Crisp were going to be a serious players for the Pies.

I've watched Freeman a lot and in my personal opinion I don't think he's got it. I want him to be a jet but I just haven't seen anything other than his explosive pace.

I'm about as serious as I was pre season when I said we won the Beams deal and that De Goey and Crisp were going to be a serious players for the Pies.

I've watched Freeman a lot and in my personal opinion I don't think he's got it. I want him to be a jet but I just haven't seen anything other than his explosive pace.

You said you have watched him a lot. Obviously you are talking prior to him coming to Collingwood as he hasn't really played much since he has come to the club.

I'm not suggesting I've seen him play 100 games. I've seen him play footy pre draft, twice in the VFL and I got to see him live again in Tasmania against the Hawks pre season.

The one thing I'll say is that he was a lot more confident pre draft so maybe the run of injuries has taken a toll. Believe me I want him to be a superstar - has elite speed endurance and strength and could rip games apart if he came good.

I'm not suggesting I've seen him play 100 games. I've seen him play footy pre draft, twice in the VFL and I got to see him live again in Tasmania against the Hawks pre season.

The one thing I'll say is that he was a lot more confident pre draft so maybe the run of injuries has taken a toll. Believe me I want him to be a superstar - has elite speed endurance and strength and could rip games apart if he came good.

fair enough.

His games earlier this season he was clearly playing with a bung Hamstring, his form shouldn't really be taken too seriously. He was unable to get out of 2nd gear, every time he got the ball in space and had to stop and handball.

Pre-draft he was rated by Hine (and pretty much all draft experts) as being worth pick 10.. so I'll back him into be a good player IF injuries allow him to be

His games earlier this season he was clearly playing with a bung Hamstring, his form shouldn't really be taken too seriously. He was unable to get out of 2nd gear, every time he got the ball in space and had to stop and handball.

Pre-draft he was rated by Hine (and pretty much all draft experts) as being worth pick 10.. so I'll back him into be a good player IF injuries allow him to be

Agree - Hopefully he can get over this Hammy and see what he can do 100% Fit.

This is turning into a Freeman Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back