List Mgmt. Motlop: signed, sealed and delivered

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are talking about our most irreplaceable players, I consider Mots in our top 4 alongside Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor.

Nobody else on our list can provide what he does, and the losses of Varcoe and Christensen last year robbed a lot of our speed and x-factor. I like to think Cockatoo can develop into a Motlop type but realistically he is 2 years away from regularly impacting senior games.

$550k for Motlop is more than reasonable. I'd be more than happy for us to offer him 4-5 years at that price.

If we are talking about our most irreplaceable players, I consider Mots in our top 4 alongside Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor.

Nobody else on our list can provide what he does, and the losses of Varcoe and Christensen last year robbed a lot of our speed and x-factor. I like to think Cockatoo can develop into a Motlop type but realistically he is 2 years away from regularly impacting senior games.

$550k for Motlop is more than reasonable. I'd be more than happy for us to offer him 4-5 years at that price.

I agree with all of that.
I don't think he'll take more than 2 years at that price, though, because it will be chopping too much off the much higher payday he could expect here or elsewhere when he becomes RFA in a couple of years.

Motlop has been offered about 450 a year from the Cats. He wants about 550.
GWS have made him a 7 year offer which was put on the table back in May.
Could be why he played his best game of the year last week.
My take is he wants to stay at Geelong but just wants them to edge closer to his requested amount.
Not unreasonable but I think he would have to accept an offer of under 500 to fit into Geelongs plans.
Lets hope he doesnt take off over an extra 50k after tax.

Thats a lot different to the numbers that have been floated. The first I've read of GWS as well. That would be quite an astute move , he would fit their needs and their talent would seem to make their future strength assured.
For 550 , id have thought that would be close to us maxing out and might get to that , for 50,000... if thats all the difference is..but 7 years//no.
A trade with GWS will most certainly not be for picks , so who would that would involve is another question.

I would have thought 450 was actually a little unders for him. 550, to me anyway, seems quite reasonable in this market. I can imagine closer to D-day we may meet him half way. Would be a good result for both parties. Surely the club has enough wriggle room within their contract structures to find $50k for him?

Id agree , for that and considering we are trading for a "now" side... id rather be harder with one of the older players ... 50K? Just seems too small to be the hold up. It would seem its more than just money if the clubs doesn't move if thats all the demand is.

Id agree , for that and considering we are trading for a "now" side... id rather be harder with one of the older players ... 50K? Just seems too small to be the hold up. It would seem its more than just money if the clubs doesn't move if thats all the demand is.

Maybe there were a few behavioural type issues earlier in the year that were causing a little hesitancy? Motlop seems to have sorted himself out of late and is playing terrific footy. We just can't afford to lose a guy with his skill set. Unless he is being completely unreasonable with his contract lets just get it done and move on.

Maybe there were a few behavioural type issues earlier in the year that were causing a little hesitancy? Motlop seems to have sorted himself out of late and is playing terrific footy. We just can't afford to lose a guy with his skill set. Unless he is being completely unreasonable with his contract lets just get it done and move on.

Thank you ..for the addendum. Its all about paying for a type , and unlike some I will not say that it would be destructive to us .etc so sign him ,no matter what. For X yes. For XXXXXX NO , we will move in another direction.

Motlop has been offered about 450 a year from the Cats. He wants about 550.
GWS have made him a 7 year offer which was put on the table back in May.
Could be why he played his best game of the year last week.
My take is he wants to stay at Geelong but just wants them to edge closer to his requested amount.
Not unreasonable but I think he would have to accept an offer of under 500 to fit into Geelongs plans.
Lets hope he doesnt take off over an extra 50k after tax.
didn't realise any club could put an offer on anyone's table until the end of the year...

didn't realise any club could put an offer on anyone's table until the end of the year...

I don't think they can sign a new agreement, however, they can inquire about his services.

That cash, for 7 years is pretty good, if true.

I find seven years from GWS hard to believe since Jeremy Cameron only signed a five year extension. Seven year deals are only thrown around for players who you can build an entire club around, and as much as I love Mots, he's not one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they can sign a new agreement, however, they can inquire about his services.

That cash, for 7 years is pretty good, if true.
Exactly, that's heading up to 4 million dollar territory once some "AFL Ambassador" money comes into it. Which it will. As opposed to our say 3 or 4 at 450 (still great money just half of what he could get at GWS).

I find seven years from GWS hard to believe since Jeremy Cameron only signed a five year extension. Seven year deals are only thrown around for players who you can build an entire club around, and as much as I love Mots, he's not one of them.
Agree but the cash is not crazy - it's just the length (and security of 4 million) of the deal that makes it much more appealing. Cameron only signed a 5 year deal because he knows that by the time his next deal comes around he will be 26/27 and be able to write his own number. I'd say that GWS front-ended the * out of it while they still have the extra cap room. (they are doing this who expansion thing much much smarter than the Suns).

Oh, you meant the "nod and the wink" and the "gentlemen's agreements"?
Manager's are very adept at having 'meaningful' discussions with clubs. It's an accepted part of the football landscape nowadays. The sooner it is formalised as it is in the NRL and therefore open the better as I see it.

GWS would ideal for us, as we can gtee to get evens or overs
treloar for motlop will leave plenty of people happy
Question remains how much and for how long we get Treloar for...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back