Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Should anyone choose to deride Adam through booing, then they are part of something that is inherently racist and totally unacceptable. The people involved in this behaviour can justify it any way they like. Our Club calls it racism."

Ireland Swans CEO

There you go a new definition for racism - booing Adam Goodes

Once you start making exceptions, you wont stop

you will like Adam Goodes, you will stop booing him

Forward Soviet!

It's funny, I was just thinking that homophobia is exactly what this thread needed. Nice.

Be careful what you imply mate. I just happen to be divorced single guy without a wife/girlfriend/partner as well so there is no need for your bull dust. I was asking because I have never seen his partner with him and his mum spoke today not a partner /wife so pull your head in and delete you post.

Okay, fair enough, then Ireland and the Swans have hit peak stupid.

The letter from Ireland is just responding to the media frenzy & Gil's comments from the weekends game, I would like to think that all clubs would hold the welfare of their players as a priority.

To say the Swans & Ireland are stupid is wrong IMO, I'm fully supportive of people booing players for indiscretions during a game, but that doesn't generally carry over for weeks/months.

You know what FP, the are several components to this issue, there are 100 pages of comments
which address many of these.

I appreciate you think there is a racial element, but FFS why dont you spend 2 minutes
of your life on the other elements.

Simple question FP, these 1000's of fans who boo Goodes, do you actually think that they are all racist?

Just say, now if you cant, how about you consider the non racial aspects of this issue.

Christ, so many missing the point.

It's the loud incessant booing EVERY time he goes near the ball. Not just when he gives a free or gets away with one. No other player has received this treatment for such a sustained period of time. Ever.

This.

Watch games from pre-2012 with Goodes playing us at Subi and he gets booed alright - but for being rough towards one of our players, shooting at goal etc. The persistent ongoing boos, round after round, is just idiotic - even when he actually hasn't done anything of note.

Why doesn't the media drop this whole debacle and maybe it will go away? The fact that Adam Goodes and his teammates and the afl keep crying about it keeps the saga going. It's not racist to boo players, eapecially players who think they're a tier above the rest of the population. These war dances as well throwing imaginary spears at opposition fans are bullshit that's just inciting fans to react. thats not brave making a statement that's just being a straight up campaigner to opposition fans. Stop saying it's anything else.

"Should anyone choose to deride Adam through booing, then they are part of something that is inherently racist and totally unacceptable. The people involved in this behaviour can justify it any way they like. Our Club calls it racism."

Ireland Swans CEO

There you go a new definition for racism - booing Adam Goodes

Once you start making exceptions, you wont stop

you will like Adam Goodes, you will stop booing him

Forward Soviet!

Nobody says you have to like him. I never liked that eye-gouging chicken winger either.

So he should make a statement to that effect? It would set an interesting precedent. The fact that his on-field behaviour was so long ago (at least two years?) does tend to suggest that it is not the main factor in the recent booing. Would you agree with that?

He doesn't even need to make a precedent... He was asked earlier this season why he was being boo'd. He responded "I don't know why it's still happening". He had ample opportunity to introduce the notion it could be from his past. It's literally impossible to forget you were boo'd at several different times over like a 5 year timeframe. The media also did not really ask him a question that included that as a possibility.

Even if he still defends that he did nothing wrong on field, ignoring that it was a thing in other peoples mind (and they vocally bood him) is the part that is painting him as disingenuous, and seems so much like he wants to deflect.

The letter from Ireland is just responding to the media frenzy & Gil's comments from the weekends game, I would like to think that all clubs would hold the welfare of their players as a priority.

To say the Swans & Ireland are stupid is wrong IMO, I'm fully supportive of people booing players for indiscretions during a game, but that doesn't generally carry over for weeks/months.

fair enough Woodie I can appreciate your comment.

just to be clear, you are fine with the swans defintion of racism now"

= booing Adam Goodes.

And that's the issue - some people are booing due to racism. When one boos at every game with every possession for "non-racist" reasons can one be confident a heap of other people aren't racist booers? I know there are racist booers - heaps of them - because I read heaps of racist bullsh&t here! Is it good encouraging or participating in that?

This whole I'm not racist but I don't like the way he has taken a stance on racism argument so therefore I boo is really daft. People are posting here, using the media etc to talk about how Goodes has raised race as an issue in the game. Some people might not be into it but FFS boo every time he goes near the ball? Not a terribly productive way to discuss racial politics.

BTW - I KNOW not every booer is racist. Some see Goodes as a Juddy/Selwood/Mitchell type and boo accordingly (no offence Sammy - sill love you!) But some of these people have stopped because they know this is now getting too ugly.

This. great post.

People have to ask themselves, how many hours of your life are you going to spend justifying why you're booing someone? Probably time to move on with your life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree - think people arguing different things on here. Abusive guy should lose membership. But I still think we should be able to boo whoever we want!

So as not to discriminate.

I think one great way to sum this up is - imagine you took your kid to a game and you started booing Goodes. Your kid then asks you why you're booing.

What do you say?

Be careful what you imply mate. I just happen to be divorced single guy without a wife/girlfriend/partner as well so there is no need for your bull dust. I was asking because I have never seen his partner with him and his mum spoke today not a partner /wife so pull your head in and delete you post.

Touchy! Hit a nerve, did he?

Tom Harley on the news ;

" If you boo Adam, we don't think you're racist, we just think it's racially motivated"

Say that again, Tom.

maybe those who boo Goodes for non-race reasons (which is apparently every single boo-er) should have a think and realise that the common perception is that they're racist, which should surely be motivation enough to stop the booing.

This.

Watch games from pre-2012 with Goodes playing us at Subi and he gets booed alright - but for being rough towards one of our players, shooting at goal etc. The persistent ongoing boos, round after round, is just idiotic - even when he actually hasn't done anything of note.

FP there are plenty of reasons other than that which you choose to ignore, could it be, and god forbid, people just
think he is a nob? For any of the reasons mentioned in the previous 100 pages, or is you just prefer the term racial element?

I ask you again, do you believe that the 1000's of supporters who boo him are all racist?

if you answer no, how about you at least consider these other aspects :)

He doesn't even need to make a precedent... He was asked earlier this season why he was being boo'd. He responded "I don't know why it's still happening". He had ample opportunity to introduce the notion it could be from his past. It's literally impossible to forget you were boo'd at several different times over like a 5 year timeframe. The media also did not really ask him a question that included that as a possibility.

Even if he still defends that he did nothing wrong on field, ignoring that it was a thing in other peoples mind (and they vocally bood him) is the part that is painting him as disingenuous, and seems so much like he wants to deflect.

I'd like Ballantyne to be at that press conference. And the entire Hawthorn team. Just a general apology to the entire AFL community for all the sniping over the years. Then we can boo them unambiguously in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back