List Mgmt. 2015 Trade & Free Agency Hellscape Discussion Thread (PG546: Anderson PG732: Bastinac)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
600k well overvalued...seriously...you your self have said so....if he was that kind of money then why would north not go after danger field for a million?
Cause you can't. No matter all the scuttlebutt, it's the Crows or Geelong. He's not leaving to get away from the Crows, he's leaving to come to Geelong.

No way I'd be trading Wood. He's tall and young, a department we're not exactly chock full of atm. I would actually be avoiding trading any player under the age of 22-23, unless they want out.

I'm all for Motlop. I was hesitant to pick up Higgins and that's worked out pretty well so far. I'll trust the recruiters judgement.

I am personally majorly against trading our first pick for Motlop.

I want a proven commodity for that pick or I want to take it to the draft.

Motlop is not a proven commodity.
Huh?

First round picks outside the top 5 are an absolute crap shoot. We are talking about arguably the best player for a team a whole 2 points below us. You can argue that Treloar is better, you can say he isn't top shelf or consistent enough but how much more proven can you get?

How is he not proven?
Averages 20+ and 1.5 goals per game. Wells wouldn't have had those numbers at the same age.

What about Dumont instead. You guys don't give him games and he would replace Kelly or Stevie J for us.
See the thing is, we, like Geelong, will likely lose a number of key senior players in the next two years. As such I reckon the club would be loathe to trade out any young player who has shown significant potential in their opportunities at AFL level, like Dumont and Wood have, because they are seen as the replacements. As such I think it likely that any trade for Motlop would be for picks only.

That said, the whole Motlop family/North history thing could scuttle any approach in its crib.

If our first pick is going to be around 11-14 I'd use it for a player who can come in and play a key role now and into the future. Is Motlop that player? Hmmm, at his best he is valuable and a very dangerous player in the front half. If he could develop consistency I think a mid first rounder is a very. very good deal, but the if's and but's and the necessity to use our early picks on sure things due to list profile makes me nervous about him.

as a hypothetical what would Ben Browns trade value be ?
Not suggesting for a second that we trade him as Petrie and Waite aren't spring chickens and I think he's going to be a cracker
But you'd think some clubs would be prepared to throw a fair bit at us to get him

what would make North start thinking about it ?

well why even ask the question? :mad:

If we got Motlop, maybe just maybe he could have his amazing games on our off our game weeks and we could still win :cool:

One question i have is when does "young, essential to our future" become "cut our losses".

Im just talking out loud here, but where is Wood at? He was taken at pick 41 in 2012. So he will soon finish his third season of AFL football having played just 3 or 4 games. Is he a mid or a forward? Because we need key forwards but he hasn't played there at AFL level.

If we could turn him into Motlop who averages over 20 touches and 1.5 goals a game. Has played well in prelim finals and is young enough to be around when our other youngish youngsters are at their peak.

Jeez we over rate unproven youth at our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One question i have is when does "young, essential to our future" become "cut our losses".

Im just talking out loud here, but where is Wood at? He was taken at pick 41 in 2012. So he will soon finish his third season of AFL football having played just 3 or 4 games. Is he a mid or a forward? Because we need key forwards but he hasn't played there at AFL level.

If we could turn him into Motlop who averages over 20 touches and 1.5 goals a game. Has played well in prelim finals and is young enough to be around when our other youngish youngsters are at their peak.

Jeez we over rate unproven youth at our club.
You're desperate to get rid of him, aren't you ... really desperate.

From day one Mason Wood has the confidence/borderline swagger when playing in the 1's.
He has skill, speed and some decent footy IQ. I'm extremely confident he will end up a gun AFL footballer and I would be seething if we trade him - especially if the Black stories are true..

If Geelong want to deal Motlop to us then our first rounder (in a shallow draft) or piss off.

You're desperate to get rid of him, aren't you ... really desperate.

I am not sure if you are joking or being serious. Probably joking given i have never posted on Wood before my previous post.

But the same goes for Dumont. People seem to not want to trade an unproven inside mid for a pacy outside mid that has played well at the elite level for the last 3 years.

It boggles the mind.

I am not sure if you are joking or being serious. Probably joking given i have never posted on Wood before my previous post.

But the same goes for Dumont. People seem to not want to trade an unproven inside mid for a pacy outside mid that has played well at the elite level for the last 3 years.

It boggles the mind.
It's also about fleshing out what is going to be a really thin squad in 12 - 24 months. I'd rather we keep Wood and Dumont and trade a pick than trade one of those two and a pick to get Motlop.

From day one Mason Wood has the confidence/borderline swagger when playing in the 1's.
He has skill, speed and some decent footy IQ. I'm extremely confident he will end up a gun AFL footballer and I would be seething if we trade him - especially if the Black stories are true..

If Geelong want to deal Motlop to us then our first rounder (in a shallow draft) or piss off.

So swagger is what youth should be judged on? How much extra does he have than Motlop?

Skill? Speed? Decent footy IQ? Motlop might tick some of those boxes.

You can be extremely confident Wood will be a gun AFL footballer (I am not, i just don't know). But guess what. Motlop is that right now.

It's also about fleshing out what is going to be a really thin squad in 12 - 24 months. I'd rather we keep Wood and Dumont and trade a pick than trade one of those two and a pick to get Motlop.

Sure, but just because a player fits a need, doesn't mean they are any good.

Wood has done 2/5ths of F all this year after going back to the VFL. I would expect more from a player in their third year in the system.

Dumont clearly has talent. But he doesn't really fit a need. Certainly not as much as Motlop.

as a hypothetical what would Ben Browns trade value be ?
Not suggesting for a second that we trade him as Petrie and Waite aren't spring chickens and I think he's going to be a cracker
But you'd think some clubs would be prepared to throw a fair bit at us to get him

what would make North start thinking about it ?

There are very few untradeable players.

Ben Brown is one.

I would give up a Ziebell or Cunnington before I would give up Ben Brown.

and I wouldn't give up either of Ziebell or Cunnington.

Sure, but just because a player fits a need, doesn't mean they are any good.

Wood has done 2/5ths of F all this year after going back to the VFL. I would expect more from a player in their third year in the system.

Dumont clearly has talent. But he doesn't really fit a need. Certainly not as much as Motlop.
I hear ya. Wood, yeah, disappointing, but still the potential is there. Dumont I think we really do need as he is a mid with a big tank, distinguishing him from Cunners and JZ, which will allow them to rotate forward. Dal wont be around forever.

Still, I'd rather keep 'em both and do it for a pick than replace one of them with a late draft pick. We are going to need all the depth we can scrounge together.

I don't get Kings line of thinking, re only trading for Motlop if we think we can fin a flag.

He's 24, either way he's a good recruit, for the tilt, or post rebuild.

I'd be very happy it's either Treloar or Motlop personally.

Motlop would certainly help the Boomer transition as well.

Wood and Dumont have big futures at the club, they've also had plenty of development pumped into them.

Ludicrous thinking trading Wood when Petrie and Waite are 30+, he could also feature in a midfield rotation imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back