Universal Love Not Boo-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the harm in asking Adam Goodes to look into his behaviour. Surely asking an indigenous person to examine themselves isn't racist. Everyone has to do it if they don't like something that happens to hem over and over again. Why is Goodes different.
A person must examine themselves if something repeatedly bad happens to them?

It's funny isn't it. Throughout the Walsh tragedy I saw a side to some of you I hadn't before. I developed a real connection with most in here. Now, reading through this thread I just get so disappointed. Not because we have opposing views, but because we are SO far apart. I have fought all my life against racism. My family were dreadful racists. I was the black sheep. (irony, I know). It's just so draining to read some of these comments. And I'm white. I can't imagine what Goodes must be feeling.

How ironic that Richmond, one of the top most filthiest supporter bases is trying to make sort of point.....

A person must examine themselves if something repeatedly bad happens to them?

Yeah, i would, wouldnt you? If you cant possibly find or think of anything then you know its the other party or parties that have the issues with you. But by not asking Adam to do anything but blatantly blaming supporters and accusing them of racism absolves him and only reinforces his mindset. I dont see anything wrong with Jones request. If the crowds were booing for racist reasons id be just as disgusted. But there is no proof of that which means we are all pointing fingers at each other with our opinions and not solving anything.

It's funny isn't it. Throughout the Walsh tragedy I saw a side to some of you I hadn't before. I developed a real connection with most in here. Now, reading through this thread I just get so disappointed. Not because we have opposing views, but because we are SO far apart. I have fought all my life against racism. My family were dreadful racists. I was the black sheep. (irony, I know). It's just so draining to read some of these comments. And I'm white. I can't imagine what Goodes must be feeling.
Come on Jenny. That's a very emotive generalisation. It's this type of comment that holds the dialogue on racism back.

So here we have a non indigenous person telling the indigenous person - who feels as if he is being racially vilified - that he must be mistaken. It says so here in this white man's legislative guide. :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Thats the wrong attitude. If a person is a dick and I call them a dick does it make me a racist because the colour of my skin is different from theirs? No. Its only racist if i call them a dick because of their skin colour. Not because they think I am calling them a dick because of their skin colour when Im not. A dick can simply be just that, a dick!

It's a genuine feeling about thr day that many people hold. It doesn't hurt me as a white Australian at all because I can see clearly why Aboriginal people feel the way they do. I feel no guilt but understand the point. Why is that so hard?
Thats all cool. So long as Adam understands that white people may have an issue with that and are free to express to him that they dont agree. I think that kinda happened and Adam didnt like it. Simple really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course it is divisive.

Australians have traditionally celebrated a day where white people came to a country, bringing violence and genocide, disregarding 20,000 years of history and culture and stealing any rights to lands from the original inhabitants.

If you're a white guy like me - well, you don't really want to think about it. I mean, it wasn't my fault!

But if it's your race that was treated in that way, it's pretty insulting.
So your fine with people perpetuating historical hatreds? You cool for Serbs and Croats to harbour ill feeling over one another, happy for Jews and Muslims to harbour their deep divisions and hatred with each other? Thats the problem with the left, they are so hypocritical that their arguements fall apart.
On one hand you preach peace, tollerance and forgiveness, but then green light old historical hatreds like this.
If my grandmother was raped by a catholic, is it okay for me to hate Catholics today? If someone murdered my grandfather, is it ok for me to hold his grandson responsible?

The thing is this is the contentious part, I myself cannot stand Adam Goodes as a person and believe he brings all of this on himself, I am a booer when I don't like an opposition supporter and I would likely Boo Goodes as he is a mouthy antagonist, lets look at all the remainder of indigenous players that I would Boo... Nope, none!! Betts and Cameron are 2 of my favourite players, Hill brothers are like Ferrari's the way they play and love to watch them, Motlop I admire but have a neither way about him... How can I be called a Racist because I don't like Adam Goodes?? I can't as i'm not, he needs to keep his mouth closed and stop antagonizing people, why would he do a war dance, say things that demise Australia Day etc when he is already causing stirs, surely he wouldn't.. If anyone wants to be called a racist, it's him but no not in this society. I would never say those things the other way like he has in the media and it's ridiculous..

A player on my team is Aboriginal, he is one of the best blokes on the team, again, how am I racist because I cant stand Adam Goodes?? A single aboriginal player among many others?

Does Crowley or Ballantyne whine when they get booed (And that is quite a lot) no they don't, they get motivated by it, its how they are as people, don't push the wrong buttons of people if you don't want to ramifications of it..

So here we have a non indigenous person telling the indigenous person - who feels as if he is being racially vilified - that he must be mistaken. It says so here in this white man's legislative guide. :rolleyes:
Did you find it ok when an idigenous person threw a spear at some white people in a war dance and then told the white non-indigenous people that they were mistaken to find it offensive. Should a non white person tell a white person what they should and shouldnt be offended by?
You cant be a hypocrite now Jenny.

I've said this a couple of times.

Whether its racist or not is irrelevant for me.

I advocate people making up their own minds.

It's what I love about Australia.

The question is do you care about how the continual boos makes Goodes feel?

I like to believe that vast majority of Australians do care when someone feels hurt in this way. Again the thing I love about this country is the way we support one another as Australians, especially those who feel vulnerable.

If you don't care, then why is it that you don't care?

There are no right or wrong answers.

For all those who think the booing of Goodes is racist and we as a society are racist all you need to do is look at modern culture Hip Hop music is everywhere, some of the most popular actors are black ( Sam. L Jackson , The Rock, Morgan Freeman) just to name a few and as for sports stars all you have to do is look how popular LeBron James is

Times have changed Australians are some of the most accepting people in the world the one thing that hasn't changed thow is that we don't like someone that is a tool and have no issues showing it

For all those who think the booing of Goodes is racist and we as a society are racist all you need to do is look at modern culture Hip Hop music is everywhere, some of the most popular actors are black ( Sam. L Jackson , The Rock, Morgan Freeman) just to name a few and as for sports stars all you have to do is look how popular LeBron James is

Times have changed Australians are some of the most accepting people in the world the one thing that hasn't changed thow is that we don't like someone that is a tool and have no issues showing it

That's another incredibly superficial analysis of a complex problem. So we're going to say racism doesn't exist all because hip hop is popular? Give me a break.

Just a thought, I reckon it would be a nice gesture if the boys ran out in the indigenous round guernseys, in support of Goodes.

They look great, too.
They really do look great.

logged on to crowmania to buy one myself just recently, but they're not available in normal human sizes, just like triple xl, which is a shame. They should do another batch.

That's another incredibly superficial analysis of a complex problem. So we're going to say racism doesn't exist all because hip hop is popular? Give me a break.
I never said it didn't exist of course it does my point was more that we are a much more accepting society these days and that racism is more of a minority

Thats all cool. So long as Adam understands that white people may have an issue with that and are free to express to him that they dont agree. I think that kinda happened and Adam didnt like it. Simple really.

I think that this is not what Adam didn't like, but was more what 'we' (white) people didn't like with his affrontery in expressing his point of view and taking it up to us. We don't like being confronted with this stuff, and particularly from our appointee as Australian of the Year. :D:rolleyes:

And sadly like all things, each and all of it could have been done better.

Something ive found 'salient' is that almost no media personality has come out the 'stop calling everyone who doesnt like goodes a racist' side of the argument. Dermott Brereton did and got shouted down and dare i say it 'vilified'

How often do media personalities UNIVERSALLY agree on ANYTHING. Especially anything divisive. It is clear that there are (at least) two well represented sides in this argument.

Media personalities afraid of being called a racist. I dont really blame them. Even moderate posters against goodes in an anonymous internet forum get treated like theyre the head of the eugenics program in germany in 1945.

I wouldnt take the lack of publicity for the anti goods argument to mean its not valid and well supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back