Review Autopsy vs Essendon, Round 18 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a question.... is there a back line of small defenders better than Murphy, Boyd, JJ at the moment? Most teams have one or two...we have three!

Maybe needs a thread all on its own

I'd argue that Wood is more small than tall (though he does play tall). His intercept marking and run and carry has been extraordinary. How many sides have 4?

Essendon are a club bereft of life
It's the walking dead
Have to credit their supporters for the wY they patiently sit thru performances like yesterday which defy description

I think it's good to honour lesser players like cam white
Who was very poorly treated by Rodney eAde - he had more than a bit
And could have been special

Essendon are a club bereft of life
It's the walking dead
Have to credit their supporters for the wY they patiently sit thru performances like yesterday which defy description

I think it's good to honour lesser players like cam white
Who was very poorly treated by Rodney eAde - he had more than a bit
And could have been special

Hmmm. We sat through 3 seasons of something similar.. Except from our situation I believe we learnt something valuable from it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First, the obvious nitpicks:
Talia is poor one on one but OK in all other aspects.
Redpath is poor below his knees and missing the ones that should be kicked, otherwise, he is still a presence up forward.
The 1 metre handpasses to team mates under pressure are still there but getting less noticeable.
And, the plaudits:
Campbell is getting more confident and playing better each week, he's no star but he competes well and is running games out which we have had doubts about for a long time.
Superb team effort with improving confidence to run and create. A bunch of players who obviously enjoy playing with each other, understand their coach and want to do well for him and their team mates.
Caleb Daniel could be one of the most highly skilled little men I've seen since Bobby Skilton. Of course, he's got a long way to go to match the explosiveness of a Rioli or the longevity of a Harvey but some of the things he can do are equal to any previous or current small player.
And the even better:
If Zaine Cordy's not an AFL standard backman in waiting I'm no judge whatsoever.
Declan Hamilton, who I thought was the weakest of the draftees, is developing slowly but you can see signs that once his body grows and he matures, we may have another very good performer in the pipeline.

180. A 360 would mean he'd have spun around and ended up in the same place.
Actually I can say I did a 360 on hunter :confused: Along with Wallis (and Darley :eek:), I had Hunter down as our biggest improver at the start of this year...by mid year I wanted him gone mainly due to a seeming selfish attitude!

Even more than last week Hunter showed he has turned the corner IMO. His taking a mark in the third where he knew he was going to be crunched (Bev highlighted this in his presser) and of course his pass to Caleb in the last were massive for Lachie IMO.

I'm really liking Campbell his marking and competitiveness at ground level really impress me.

you know when you put on a jacket you haven't worn in a while and you find a crisp green $100 note you forgot about?

That's Hunter. When he first arrived I thought he'd be something special. Now I'm sure of it.

Top 10 draft pick material

In summary under the BMAC administration he was told at the end of last season before the fiasco that his services were no longer required. He wasn't looking to go elsewhere

Cooney tried to go to Hawthorn to join Lake in 2014. They didn't want him. It is not true from what I've heard to say that Cooney wasn't ever looking to leave.

Yesterday again reinforced my belief we should be developing Campbell, he's second and third efforts around the contest were great to watch.

Keep it up TC
I need to publiclly apologise to TC.
Against Collingwood I thought he was awful. He was slow and couldn't hold a mark to save himself.
Yesterday, he improved out of sight. Still dropped a few early but clunked a couple of good marks as the game wore on and his ruck work was fantastic with many taps to advantage.
He still is a booming kick and, if he can start using this to advantage, could still develop into a resting forward or set up a couple of fast transitions by kicking over the top into space.

Whilst I still have a little humble pie left on the plate, well done to Hunter. Over the last 2 weeks he has shown what he is capable of. He now needs to make sure that is the standard he sets for himself every week rather than the exception when needed to retain his spot in the team.

Cooney tried to go to Hawthorn to join Lake in 2014. They didn't want him. It is not true from what I've heard to say that Cooney wasn't ever looking to leave.

Whether or not that was the reason for him being told his services weren't needed we wont know. He's gone and we are better off for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back