Who would you pick first?

• Luke Hodge

Votes: 218 37.8%
  • Chris Judd

Votes: 359 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Very close and looking at their finals stats between the period of 2008-2014;
Judd averaged 24.3 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 5.5 clearances, 0.5 goals, 1 goal assist per game.
Hodge averaged 20.5 disposals, 8 contested possessions, 2.7 clearances, 0.7 goals, 0.3 goal assists per game.
Lol well there goes the "Hodge is better in finals" argument.

Very close and looking at their finals stats between the period of 2008-2014;
Judd averaged 24.3 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 5.5 clearances, 0.5 goals, 1 goal assist per game.
Hodge averaged 20.5 disposals, 8 contested possessions, 2.7 clearances, 0.7 goals, 0.3 goal assists per game.

If they played in the same position you'd have a point. I wouldn't compare Hodge and Judd with possession and clearance numbers just like I wouldn't compare him with Mitchell. There's only been one season in that time where Hodge has largely been used in a similar fashion to Judd and that was in 2010, which I would say is about on par with Judd's best season over the same period in 2011.

In the 08 GF, Hodge only had 26 disposals and a goal, but I doubt you'd argue that Judd's effort in 2012 against Richmond was comparable, despite very similar numbers. As midfielders since Judd has joined Carlton, they have performed about the same, whereas Hodge doubles as an elite medium defender. In my eyes, that's the only meaningful point of difference between them since Judd was traded to Carlton.

In the same period in finals, Daniel Cross averages 25.7 disposals and 5.6 tackles a game. Bartel averages 24.4 disposals and 4.6 tackles.

In the same period in finals, Daniel Cross averages 25.7 disposals and 5.6 tackles a game. Bartel averages 24.4 disposals and 4.6 tackles.

That's only a one possession differential though, not the four disposals which Judd has over Hodge. Given Hodge played predominantly as a loose half back flanker in his later years, he actually improved his finals averages considerably, because prior to the 13/14 final series, his finals record was pretty poor as it was only 19 disposals a final. You can see the spike it took after 2014 when he averaged a whopping 20 uncontested possession in each final.

Judd has been more consistent over his journey during September.

This deserves a bump, because Luke Hodge has pulled together one of his best years of football (arguably in career best form IMO).

Yeah I guess the most frustrating thing about this thread is the abuse by Hodge fans of intangible attributes like leadership as evidence that he is a better player than Judd. The reality is that Judd crushes Hodge in almost every individual statistic. Hodge supporters also seem to forget that Judd also is a premiership captain and norm smith medalist who many Carlton supporters would regard as one of the clubs great captains.

I think you make a very valid point on the inferiority complex of Hawks fans. Judd was so brilliant as a younger player that the thought of overlooking him must have hurt (and perhaps still does).
That's only a one possession differential though, not the four disposals which Judd has over Hodge. Given Hodge played predominantly as a loose half back flanker in his later years, he actually improved his finals averages considerably, because prior to the 13/14 final series, his finals record was pretty poor as it was only 19 disposals a final. You can see the spike it took after 2014 when he averaged a whopping 20 uncontested possession in each final.

Judd has been more consistent over his journey during September.
I mostly wanted to grab these two quotes due to putting weight on statistics. If we're going to get into statistics, then please look at the below averages over Luke Hodge's and Chris Judd's careers:

Chris Judd
K 12.7 , H 10.1 , D 22.9
M 2.6 , T 4.0 , G 0.8
AFL Fantasy: 86.4

Luke Hodge
K 14.0 , H 8.3 , D 22.3
M 4.8, T 3.6 , G 0.7
AFL Fantasy: 90.3

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/player-profile/chris-judd
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/player-profile/luke-hodge

It's pretty neck-and-neck IMO, but I would pick Luke Hodge for his greater longevity and leadership.

This deserves a bump, because Luke Hodge has pulled together one of his best years of football (arguably in career best form IMO).

I mostly wanted to grab these two quotes due to putting weight on statistics. If we're going to get into statistics, then please look at the below averages over Luke Hodge's and Chris Judd's careers:

Chris Judd
K 12.7 , H 10.1 , D 22.9
M 2.6 , T 4.0 , G 0.8
AFL Fantasy: 86.4

Luke Hodge
K 14.0 , H 8.3 , D 22.3
M 4.8, T 3.6 , G 0.7
AFL Fantasy: 90.3

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/player-profile/chris-judd
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/player-profile/luke-hodge

It's pretty neck-and-neck IMO, but I would pick Luke Hodge for his greater longevity and leadership.
Nope. Hodge is a better Captain, Judd is a better Footballer.

Judd at WCE was just on a whole other planet to Hodge. Judd at Carlton was on another planetoid.

Claiming Hodge a better footballer than Judd ... not much respect for anyone who holds that opinion I must say.
I think you're overrating how much your respect is worth to me as much as you overrate Judd. ;)

Judd at WCE was just on a whole other planet to Hodge. Judd at Carlton was on another planetoid.

Claiming Hodge a better footballer than Judd ... not much respect for anyone who holds that opinion I must say.

Yes Judd at West Coast was superior to anything Hodge has produced but to say Judd at Carlton was on another planetoid is utter incompetence from Carlton fans whose brains have been fried from 15 years of rubbish from their football team, of course Judd looked good next to the sub standard players that have plagued your list in recent history.

Hodge is currently in elite AFL form and a big chance to be All Australian captain this year and where is Judd?

What the Judd supporters fail to understand is that Hodge has not been allowed to run around in the midfield doing as he pleases for the entirety of his career, he has been used in all position on the ground when required and had significant match winning influence in all of these positions. Being sent back late in the 08 season an example of this going on to win the Norm Smith medal and more or less winning Hawthorn the flag.

No surprises to see him averaging his best numbers this year having spent the majority of time in the midfield but even now he is used in other positions when required, eg with Lake out against West Coast Hodge was sent back to sure up the back line and had big influence on the result of the game.

All very well to believe that Judd is the superior player but comments such as yours are just disrespectful and show how little you know about the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Judd at West Coast was superior to anything Hodge has produced but to say Judd at Carlton was on another planetoid is utter incompetence from Carlton fans whose brains have been fried from 15 years of rubbish from their football team, of course Judd looked good next to the sub standard players that have plagued your list in recent history.

Yeah nah. MVP winner, multiple All Australians. Certainly his form at WCE was just something else altogether, but his form at Carlton was still better than Hodge. Sorry if you missed it.

Hodge is currently in elite AFL form and a big chance to be All Australian captain this year and where is Judd?

Err ... he did an ACL champ. Where do you think he'd be? o_O

What the Judd supporters fail to understand is that Hodge has not been allowed to run around in the midfield doing as he pleases for the entirety of his career ...

Cracks me up that you rate HBF as tougher or more important than dominating in the middle with a hard tag. There's a reason blokes who can't cut it in the midfield move into that position with ease. Got to question whether or not you've actually played footy. HBF much easier to excel at.

In the 08 GF, Hodge only had 26 disposals and a goal, but I doubt you'd argue that Judd's effort in 2012 against Richmond was comparable, despite very similar numbers. As midfielders since Judd has joined Carlton, they have performed about the same, whereas Hodge doubles as an elite medium defender. In my eyes, that's the only meaningful point of difference between them since Judd was traded to Carlton.

I watched Hodge closely in the 08 final against the Bulldogs.
He had something like 18 touches and was BOG to many people (Buddy's 8 goals also noteworthy).
Cross had 39 touches and wouldn't have been in the top 10 most influential players. As a neutral, I certainly wouldn't just look at stats to assess Hodge's impact on a game.

Yeah nah. MVP winner, multiple All Australians. Certainly his form at WCE was just something else altogether, but his form at Carlton was still better than Hodge. Sorry if you missed it.

Err ... he did an ACL champ. Where do you think he'd be? o_O

Cracks me up that you rate HBF as tougher or more important than dominating in the middle with a hard tag. There's a reason blokes who can't cut it in the midfield move into that position with ease. Got to question whether or not you've actually played footy. HBF much easier to excel at.

No point even arguing with a brain dead blind individual such as yourself.

You are clearly putting words in my mouth and have an inability to comprehend my point.

I'll just continue watching Hodge dominate and Hawthorn win flags whilst you continue to fondle yourself and dribble over Judd whilst your team who is now arguably in a worse position for having got him flounder at the bottom of the ladder.

He had something like 18 touches and was BOG to many people (Buddy's 8 goals also noteworthy).
Cross had 39 touches and wouldn't have been in the top 10 most influential players. As a neutral, I certainly wouldn't just look at stats to assess Hodge's impact on a game.

Something the unwashed like Monkeybrains is incapable of comprehending.

He was immense that day, and that whole finals series too. Simply immense.

Clarko moving him to the backline was the Ace up the sleeve that won us the Flag that year. He was BOG in all three games.

I'm really coming around on Luke Hodge. I see his impact all the time and his toughness is just frightening. I always used to think his disposal was really overrated but now i'm pretty ambivalent towards it. He's no doubt the most important player down at waverley though.

Ah the old "HBF is so easy" routine. Explain to me that if its so easy, why no one else is better than Hodge at playing it?

Jeez it must piss you off seeing Hodge play so well in his Twilight. If Hodge gets another AA this year which he should, he's probably another norm smith away from absolute level pegging with Judd.

Something the unwashed like Monkeybrains is incapable of comprehending.

Don't worry about him mate. He's a troll, a moron and his football knowledge can be written in large print on the head of a pin.

Judd's time at WCE was incredible and better than Hodge's best football, no doubt. During Judd's Carlton years however, Hodge was a significantly better footballer than Judd. The problem with monkeyarse is that he desperately wants to believe that Chris Judd was the same player after he moved over to this side of the country. In fact, I have little doubt that he has lied to himself that often about it that he actually does believe his own particluar brand of bullshit.

Judds best was better than Hodge's but Hodge has been an elite player for much longer.

During Judd's Carlton years however, Hodge was a significantly better footballer than Judd.

Judds best was better than Hodge's but Hodge has been an elite player for much longer.

Neither of these statements are true. Judd at Carlton was huge. Has multiple AA's and an MVP to attest to that. Hodge may have been in better form in the twilight of their careers, but it's lopsided to say he's been elite for longer given how lacking he was in the early part of career in this regard. And certainly just using the term elite as though both players form just fall neatly under this umbrella is a bit silly. You might as well say Hodge has been elite for long than Ablett too; it's kinda meaningless.

Ah the old "HBF is so easy" routine. Explain to me that if its so easy, why no one else is better than Hodge at playing it?

Jeez it must piss you off seeing Hodge play so well in his Twilight. If Hodge gets another AA this year which he should, he's probably another norm smith away from absolute level pegging with Judd.

Doesn't piss me off in the slightest. I have a soft spot for the Hawks.

Making out that excelling as a midfielder is just running around as you please while playing HBF is some kind of super difficult position is just ignorance. Pure ignorance. As for Hodge being the best at it, he's a 3 time All Australian, the last of those being 5 years ago. Great player, great captain, but Hawk posters tend to exaggerate at every turn and saying he's as good a footballer as Judd is just another turn. No team related accolade is going to change that.

Last edited:
I've gotta say, being called brain dead and a moron for thinking Judd is a better footballer than Hodge is a little over the top. I mean, it's a pretty stock standard opinion if you ask any AFL footballer or commentator etc. I do think though that it highlights how emotional a topic it is for you blokes and how that emotional reaction obscures your judgement. Judd is second only to Ablett in this era. Sorry guys.

Back