Opinion Hawthorn's next captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe time for Hodge to pass the baton to Lewis for a few years and then groom Shiels. I don't think Roughy needs the extra burden of captaincy whereas I think Lewis would revel in it. An orderly off-season handover is probably not a bad thing.

Unfortunate timing, but anyhow ...

Lewis would surely still be the leading candidate. Though I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer to see him 'hot headed' and going at it harder. Certainly has been tempered, whether thats form, maturity, or the weight of responsibility of Captain in waiting...

Sheils may be in the pic for years down the track, but it's not just onfield he needs to lead. He's gotta have the off-field presence, media savvy, profile to go with it as well. Plenty of time (3-4 years) for that to develop. Then again, I'm all for sinking the claws into Gunston for life. Could travel down the same post footy career as Dunstall.

Frigg it though, 4 years ago I still had Xav as a future possibility. Anything can happen.

I wonder if McEvoy is still touted as a future leader? I remember the boys being big on his leadership qualities when he first arrived

Your captain should be one of the best, if not the best player, on the list. McEvoy is no where near that level yet. Lewis or Shiels are next in line with Langford a potential in the longer term.

Your captain should be one of the best, if not the best player, on the list. McEvoy is no where near that level yet. Lewis or Shiels are next in line with Langford a potential in the longer term.

Yeah I do agree with you, McEvoy is not that. I just remember him being held in high regard and I wonder if he was shot down a little after being in and out of the side. Always good to have a large group of leaders

Probably a time to bump this.
2 suspensions this year resulting in 5 games missed.
Drink driving charge on the eve of finals. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But due to external pressure and the club wanting to maintain a socially responsible image. I think it would be best if Hodge hands the baton to someone at years end.

Personally, I think Shiels should be our next captain. Lewis' is too hot headed, Roughy continually argues with umpires whilst ball still in play.
Shiels is in right age bracket as well.

Why should this be bumped? We haven't finished this season, Hodge will be captain regardless of any circumstances next season unless he decides to step down.

Why we have supporters wanting to create discussions like this on the eve of finals is bewildering.. The only time this should be bumped is 4:50pm GF day when Hodge is holding another premiership cup, you'll look like a real winner then won't you?

Until the on field performance of the team significantly declines I don't consider it broken....

Wowsers.. Who would have thought, you should be judged on how the team performs! AFL supporters/players and coaches have labelled Hodge the best captain in the league, yet we have supporters asking for the baton to be handed over? And to Lewis? The guy who routinely gets suspended just like Hodge? A guy who's last half of the year has declined in output!

The next captain should be Liam Shiels and this should and probably will happen after 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wowsers.. Who would have thought, you should be judged on how the team performs! AFL supporters/players and coaches have labelled Hodge the best captain in the league, yet we have supporters asking for the baton to be handed over? And to Lewis? The guy who routinely gets suspended just like Hodge? A guy who's last half of the year has declined in output!

The next captain should be Liam Shiels and this should and probably will happen after 2016.

Amazing isn't it ? Modern day society for you.

Yeah I do agree with you, McEvoy is not that. I just remember him being held in high regard and I wonder if he was shot down a little after being in and out of the side. Always good to have a large group of leaders

It was pretty well accepted that at the Saints he was next in like from Roo, it suited him as he was one of the first picked each week. At Hawthorn he's a fringe player, lucky that we have a developing Cegs ( who is the better tap ruckman ) and an old man on his last legs for competition. We recruit another decent ruck and Cegs continues his development then we will have BB playing out his contract at Box Hill.

I'm a big fan of Shiels and Langers, I think either of them could take it. Langers has a bit more spunk and will be a brilliant media personality, plus the way he attacks his footy screams follow me. Shiels is just an overall brilliant character, in the Andrew Swallow mould and Swallow is a very good leader.

The ruck is also the easiest position on the ground to get injured in and its tough to lead the team sitting in the stands. There's been a few great ruckmen captains over the years but its typically a job better suited to a team's best midfielder hence Crawford, Mitchell & Hodge.

I really like the idea of Langford captaining the side in future years though. He's very well spoken and I'm sure the corporate types would love him.

Can't believe Hodgey has gone from 'best captain there is' to 'time for him to hand over' :confused: He stays as captain for mine as long as he keeps playing and is happy to keep captaining. Regardless of the odd suspension and anything off the field he is still the best person for the job by a mile. Talk about a knee jerk reaction :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want Gunston as Capt. He doesn't need the pressure & he isn't around the ball enough to influence the rest of the Team.

Lewis has to be in the running, Shiels behind him.

He swings between fwd line and backline but i don't really care where he plays. He has leadership qualities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back