Opinion Hawthorn's next captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfielders are usually made captains. The ability to influence a contest all the time when needed. Lewis is not as cocky as he was when younger and now is married which is "supposed" to indicate stability. These factors edge rough out slightly.

I can't see hodge playing on in 2016, even if he becomes a three time premiership captain.

KOLOKOTRONIS

I think 2015 will be Hodge's last year as captain. He'll try to win a threepeat as premiership captain and if he achieves this he'll hand over, being 32 in 2016. This opens it up for Lewis who will be 29/30 for a stint. Then I think the next obvious choices are between Whitecross/Shiels/langford

Midfielders are usually made captains. The ability to influence a contest all the time when needed. Lewis is not as cocky as he was when younger and now is married which is "supposed" to indicate stability. These factors edge rough out slightly.

I can't see hodge playing on in 2016, even if he becomes a three time premiership captain.

KOLOKOTRONIS
Actually I think he has 2 more years left in him barring a major injury.

TAZHAWK15

I don't see Birch as a future captain, seems fairy shy and would not relish all the media commitments etc. I don't think. I am also going to put a cat among the pigeons and say I don't think Langers will ever captain Hawthorn (runs for cover....).

Last edited:
I don't see Birch as a future captain, seems fairy shy and would not relish all the media commitments etc. I don't think. I am also going to put a cat among the pigeons and say I don't think Langer will ever captain Hawthorn (runs for cover....).

I agree about langers at this moment in time but maybe he could grow in to it but personally can't see it happening either.

I don't think birch is shy but each to their own. Tbh when I look through the names no-one really jumps out so it's probably just as well hodge going on

Footnote: I haven't included ruff and tazz as they getting on in years

Assuming we bypass both Taz & Roughy due to the age factor, then before he did his knee twice I though that Whitecross was as clear a choice for next captain as there was....After him, I'd Suggest both of Langford & Jed as future leaders....Langers may be too much of an individual loner ATM, but 5 years at our club will see him develop the communal side of his persona without a shadow of a doubt!....He & Jed already lead by example through their deeds on the park.

I agree about langers at this moment in time but maybe he could grow in to it but personally can't see it happening either.

I don't think birch is shy but each to their own. Tbh when I look through the names no-one really jumps out so it's probably just as well hodge going on

Footnote: I haven't included ruff and tazz as they getting on in years

Shy is probably the wrong word with regards to Birch, maybe just not loquacious enough. I would think he would find all the talking you have to do off field as a captain onerous. But of course that's just what I am observing from the outside.

Ideally as a captain you need to be one of the boys with their respect at the same time, this is why Hodge is so successful. Langers has leadership qualities but I don't see as one of the boys and I think their are others that are that also have leadership qualities. I also wouldn't be surprised if Langers doesn't have a long football career. He strikes me as a young man with many ambitions and I think maybe if he has a few successful years as an Hawthorn player he may move on to something else. Again, just observations form the outside - I could be completely wrong :drunk:

Last edited:
Probably a time to bump this.
2 suspensions this year resulting in 5 games missed.
Drink driving charge on the eve of finals. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But due to external pressure and the club wanting to maintain a socially responsible image. I think it would be best if Hodge hands the baton to someone at years end.

Personally, I think Shiels should be our next captain. Lewis' is too hot headed, Roughy continually argues with umpires whilst ball still in play.
Shiels is in right age bracket as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a time to bump this.
2 suspensions this year resulting in 5 games missed.
Drink driving charge on the eve of finals. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But due to external pressure and the club wanting to maintain a socially responsible image. I think it would be best if Hodge hands the baton to someone at years end.

Personally, I think Shiels should be our next captain. Lewis' is too hot headed, Roughy continually argues with umpires whilst ball still in play.
Shiels is in right age bracket as well.

Fair call. Despite playing well, this year, with its few misdemeanours, seems to indicate that he may need to hand this over now. As far as a replacement, we don't tend to give players long captaincies. For me Lewis would still be the best option.

Fair call. Despite playing well, this year, with its few misdemeanours, seems to indicate that he may need to hand this over now. As far as a replacement, we don't tend to give players long captaincies. For me Lewis would still be the best option.
Fair call. It is a big thing to be handed over. But I am sure the club will do a long process and get the best possible person to lead our club.

This thread will look pretty silly if Hodge leads us to another flag and grabs a third Norm Smith.

I tend to agree though that a handover may be coming next year. Roughead & Lewis have their flaws and although he's become one of our most consistent players Shiels doesn't strike me as a 'leading from the front' type, in the way Hodge has been able to conspicuously inspire his teammates. I'm concerned that when Hodgey's captaincy comes to an end so will our era.

This thread will look pretty silly if Hodge leads us to another flag and grabs a third Norm Smith.

I tend to agree though that a handover may be coming next year. Roughead & Lewis have their flaws and although he's become one of our most consistent players Shiels doesn't strike me as a 'leading from the front' type, in the way Hodge has been able to conspicuously inspire his teammates. I'm concerned that when Hodgey's captaincy comes to an end so will our era.

100% it will.

If Hodge was to step aside next year. It would certainly be Lewis. Sheils is not old enough to be the captain yet.

Anyway can't wait to see the reaction on the main board if Hodge leads us to another flag and another Norm Smith.

The dickheads on the main board couldn't wait to jerk each other off, over how bad a bloke Luke Hodge is.

Last edited:
...although he's become one of our most consistent players Shiels doesn't strike me as a 'leading from the front' type, in the way Hodge has been able to conspicuously inspire his teammates.
Really?
Has the 5th most tackles in the league from only 17 games. Was an absolute beast in gruelling interstate games v Adelaide & West Coast, particularly when the oppo had the ascendancy.
I've certainly been inspired by him in the stands & on my couch!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back