Xenaphon the phony.

Remove this Banner Ad

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
While he was in Malaysia creating media stunts over his hypocritical claims against muslims for lack of democracy, this was happening.

Australia's most powerful gambling lobby donated $20,000 to a fundraising body supporting Abbott government frontbencher Kevin Andrews as he led formulation of the Coalition's industry-backed poker machines policy before the 2013 election.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...s-200-club-20150726-gikryw.html#ixzz3h2n8Pa3n

But the Menzies 200 Club failed to declare another $10,000 donation from Clubs NSW, made in June last year, for eight months after the deadline set by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC).That donation came three months after Mr Andrews' bill to repeal Labor's tough poker machine regulations passed the Parliament.

Xenaphon should of been all over this, instead he hangs around resident islamphobes Lambie and Katter

Agree a real phoney, had cause to ring his office about machines aimed at kids and was told he was only Senator for SA only, not for other states. When I suggested that he had spoken out about poker machines Australia wide, they suggested I put in writing. Their response was to contact my state government, which if they had listened I had already done which is why I contacted his office.

Agree a real phoney, had cause to ring his office about machines aimed at kids and was told he was only Senator for SA only, not for other states. When I suggested that he had spoken out about poker machines Australia wide, they suggested I put in writing. Their response was to contact my state government, which if they had listened I had already done which is why I contacted his office.
Xenophon the phony criticized Gillard for not going far enough with poker machine reform. These are the reforms Andrews rolled back and as you can see, received generous contributions from those who profited from that roll back.Even failed to register some of those donations, he was required too. Xenaphon the phony has nothing to say. Instead he goes on about Muslims. The guy is a fraud, if not a fascist.

Like with the mafia involvement with politicians, I'd be more concerned with Andrews getting 20k out of the pokies lobby than what Xenophon does.

I think we may need a RC on underhand payments to LNP members from 'corporate' entities.:rolleyes:

Xenaphon the phony criticized Gillard, a woman, for not going far enough with pokie reform. But he won't criticize the man who rolled backed that reform and took donations from those who profit from that. Xenaphon the phony will criticize ( by creating media stunts in other countries) non white politicians in Islamic countries, for lack of democratic principles, but will not criticize white male christian for the their lack of democratic principles.

"let he who is free from sin, cast the first stone"

Xenophon the phony entered SA parliament on a no pokies platform. This is like Israeli defence force members fighting for Nazis in the Ukraine.........oh wait:rolleyes:

Xenaphon the phony criticized Gillard, a woman, for not going far enough with pokie reform. But he won't criticize the man who rolled backed that reform and took donations from those who profit from that. Xenaphon the phony will criticize ( by creating media stunts in other countries) non white politicians in Islamic countries, for lack of democratic principles, but will not criticize white male christian for the their lack of democratic principles.

"let he who is free from sin, cast the first stone"

Xenophon the phony entered SA parliament on a no pokies platform. This is like Israeli defence force members fighting for Nazis in the Ukraine.........oh wait:rolleyes:
I'm always throwing the first stone.

I'm always throwing the first stone.

Throwing stones is for idiots....guns, artillery, rockets...that's where it's at!

Oh, and most importantly, getting someone else to do the firing! Much safer that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've a lotta time for Nick the Bubble. Had a fair bit to do with him when I was working at Flinders (medical centre and university) about a decade ago. Was working at the gambling unit at the time, and he was extremely supportive of our treatment approach (we were anal about recording outcomes and stats, so we were building up an evidence base).

What I can say is that on the issues of pokies and problem gambling he's far from being a phoney, it's an issue that he's extremely passionate about.

Good bloke is Nick The Bubble

You can't affect any change in politics without having profile - I think we can all agree on that.

While I do cringe at some of Xenophon's media gimmicks I consider this out of reluctant necessity. The government control the mainstream media with spin through soundbites and you can't gather public attention and support in being introverted and dignified. Not sure whether Xenophon likes the publicity, but it helps if he does, because it's imperative for a modern day politician.

Xenophon is certainly one of the better Independents in the Upper House. Certainly helped knock back some unconscionable government Bills such as the FOFA and higher educations reforms.

With respect to gambling reform - he's seems a lone voice on an insidious industry. Gambling reform in Australia is something that is well down the list of priorities for both major parties, particularly because it is so embedded in our national culture and major source of state revenue.

Poker machines are here to stay - the gaming industry is too powerful and state are hardly going to abolish voluntary taxation. Sports and online betting will be the new scourge on society in the next 20-30 years. If countries like the States relax their online gambling laws it will mean Australians will be losing money but without any govt recourse to mitigate the issue through taxation. For mine, sports and online betting is what Xenophon really needs to become more vocal about as it the problem most likely to affect the next generation.

I've a lotta time for Nick the Bubble. Had a fair bit to do with him when I was working at Flinders (medical centre and university) about a decade ago. Was working at the gambling unit at the time, and he was extremely supportive of our treatment approach (we were anal about recording outcomes and stats, so we were building up an evidence base).

What I can say is that on the issues of pokies and problem gambling he's far from being a phoney, it's an issue that he's extremely passionate about.

Good bloke is Nick The Bubble
His office was not at all interested in the gaming/machines in children's amusement shopping centres, seemingly because I live in Victoria but they are throughout Australia and normally next to or in cinema complexes.

You can't affect any change in politics without having profile - I think we can all agree on that.

While I do cringe at some of Xenophon's media gimmicks I consider this out of reluctant necessity. The government control the mainstream media with spin through soundbites and you can't gather public attention and support in being introverted and dignified. Not sure whether Xenophon likes the publicity, but it helps if he does, because it's imperative for a modern day politician.

Xenophon is certainly one of the better Independents in the Upper House. Certainly helped knock back some unconscionable government Bills such as the FOFA and higher educations reforms.

With respect to gambling reform - he's seems a lone voice on an insidious industry. Gambling reform in Australia is something that is well down the list of priorities for both major parties, particularly because it is so embedded in our national culture and major source of state revenue.

Poker machines are here to stay - the gaming industry is too powerful and state are hardly going to abolish voluntary taxation. Sports and online betting will be the new scourge on society in the next 20-30 years. If countries like the States relax their online gambling laws it will mean Australians will be losing money but without any govt recourse to mitigate the issue through taxation. For mine, sports and online betting is what Xenophon really needs to become more vocal about as it the problem most likely to affect the next generation.

The frequency of their advertising is astounding too. All hours of the day, every sporting event I read something recently basically saying pokie revenue is dropping, but sports betting is on the increase. Seems odd that Poker machines are not advertised on TV, yet advertising sports betting is rife.

I wonder what happened to this? he ended up supporting abbott in a lot of things, abbott took alot of money from the hoteliers who make millions in the poor areas from pokies.

A forum delving into the crisis of problem gambling was held in Port Pirie yesterday. Pictured were, back row, left, UnitingCare Wesley Break Even project officer Deb Nelson, No Pokies MP Nick Xenophon, front row, responsible gambling officer Rhonda Turley and UnitingCare Wesley advocacy and communications manager Mark Henley

http://www.portpirierecorder.com.au...ck-friday-march-2005-photos/?cs=1782#slide=52

Slightly unrelated but I once saw Nick Xenaphon at J-Bi-Hi-Fi in Rundle Mall, Adelaide getting into a pretty heated argument trying to return a TV that they wouldn't let him. When the cameras aren't rolling, he can be a pretty nasty man. He wouldn't let it go either and was quite rude. People could hear him from the other side of the shop.

He had a high turn over of staff when he was in the SA Legislative, partly due to his popularity at the time and overwhelming amount of work. I also knew someone who worked in his office for a bit and when I asked about things I'd heard about working for him they refused to talk about it. Which is odd as I've found other former political staff quite open about their experiences.

He ditched SA for the senate claiming to go save the Murray.

Just recently the worst possible appointment as water minister was made, the corrupt puppet of Gina Reinhart. The one and the only Barnaby Joyce.

He should be ropable about this. Its what he was elected for.

He had a high turn over of staff when he was in the SA Legislative, partly due to his popularity at the time and overwhelming amount of work. I also knew someone who worked in his office for a bit and when I asked about things I'd heard about working for him they refused to talk about it. Which is odd as I've found other former political staff quite open about their experiences.
He also was the only politician on Kitchen Cabinet to insist they eat in his political office rather than reveal anything about his private life. Nothing bad about that, but there does seem to be a lot of unknown elements with Xenaphon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back