Opinion How did you rate Hurn's first year as captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been wanting to get everyone's opinion on this the longer the season has gone on.

Looking back 12 odd months ago, i confess that i wasn't really keen on the appointment of Hurn as skipper. My concern being that i see him as an offensive weapon we really weren't using enough to great effect, and that the added responsibility would just be another burden on his shoulders to go along with the attention he receives from taggers, when really he should be concentrating on his own game and getting off the leash as much as possible. All i knew was i'm glad it wasn't Selwood, and thankfully we got that part right.

His stats this year are down in pretty much all areas compared to last year. Disposals, marks goals and tackles, whilst people have regularly highlighted some of his poor games throughout the year.

In fact, you could argue that Schofield, Wellingham, Sheppard, and McGovern have all had better years than our experienced captain. I'm not sure how Hurn is tracking on the Big Footy Player of The Year, i suppose we'll find out soon enough from fidstar

Whilst Simmo and his gameplan is constantly praised, Hurn has rarely been mentioned as a huge part for our success this year. He's possibly the most inconspicuous captain in the AFL, i myself won't deny that occasionally throughout the year i forgot we even had a captain, such is the manner in which he goes about things and the impact he's had.

This isn't a ROAST thread, i realize people are still fired up over such a disappointing end to the season, but i'm curious to see what people think and how they grade him. Especially now they've witnessed the true leadership of Hodge and Hawthorn on the big stage. Leadership you can constantly see, in fact it's shoved in your face so much it's rather sickening.

Dark Sharks Rating: D or a 4/10

I don't see how we can rate his captaincy externally. From the outside in, it seems like he's done a lot of things well. Speaks well to the media, is well respected around the group. Was solid on-field for most of the year. I think giving him a D (leave that for my girlfriend I think) or a 4/10 is overly reactive to his game today.

He's been pretty ordinary this year. With the Gov down there he doesn't get to be the free man as often.

His kicking has also been a little off.

Hard to rate whether he's been a good captain or not. There isn't another player I think that stands out as an obvious one.

It's hard to tell because i think internally they really rate him, but from an outside perspective he isn't a natural leader. The question is who are our other candidates that would do a better job? Kennedy or Emac are the only two that could possibly do a better job than Hurn in my eyes.

Seems an odd choice because he barely seems to speak much. I think Kennedy would've been better but I don't think these things matter that much personally.

Pridda or Kennedy more natural leaders , Hurn seems a ripper bloke though and is a good on-field leader .

Duggan if he hangs around might be in contention down the track .

Hurn getting so much attention frees up the likes of Wellingham and Sheppard on the rebound.

Seriously, the bloke has just led us to a GF and there are posters suggesting players better suited to the position?

Back him in FFS.

I would like to see how he goes with McKenzie back. I think with the 2 keys going down Hurns game was hurt as he had to become more accountable on the bigger guys. As mentioned above Gov seems to have taken over his floating half back role too.

Hurn getting so much attention frees up the likes of Wellingham and Sheppard on the rebound.

Seriously, the bloke has just led us to a GF and there are posters suggesting players better suited to the position?

Back him in FFS.

I daresay it's his lack of presence people find most concerning Thorney.

The coin toss is the last visible form of captaincy you see Hurn make on the game. Once that's done, he 'looks' like just another player.

"Led" as you say, our team to a GF, which means surely you have all these examples of Hurn in games throughout the year showing his leadership?

"Led" as you say, our team to a GF, which means surely you have all these examples of Hurn in games throughout the year showing his leadership?
How do you even measure leadership? The problem with this thread is that none of us have the slightest clue what he is like and what he has done as skip.

How do you even measure leadership? The problem with this thread is that none of us have the slightest clue what he is like and what he has done as skip.

No, we don't.

But we do have the luxury of watching him lead each week ON FIELD. That is the only leadership we can analyze obviously. His performance.

When we really need someone to lift the side, to make a statement, to pull a big play out of his ass, to win a huge 1 on 1, to inspire the team, kick a clutch goal.. Is it Hurn you think of?

I don't think his public speaking, his kind demeanor, or the way he handles the media is more important to what leadership he shows in a game.

No, we don't.

But we do have the luxury of watching him lead each week ON FIELD. That is the only leadership we can analyze obviously. His performance.

When we really need someone to lift the side, to make a statement, to pull a big play out of his ass, to win a huge 1 on 1, to inspire the team, kick a clutch goal.. Is it Hurn you think of?

I don't think his public speaking, his kind demeanor, or the way he handles the media is more important to what leadership he shows in a game.
He's very much from the Glassy school of captaincy. He does his job, keeps a calm head (not today, sadly) and does the job with minimum fuss. He's the least of the issues that come out of today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seemed to be an odd choice from an outsiders perspective.

However is obviously rated very highly internally which is what matters most. Lead the side to a grand final and seems to be a good choice to lead the squad moving forward.

I've been wanting to get everyone's opinion on this the longer the season has gone on.

Looking back 12 odd months ago, i confess that i wasn't really keen on the appointment of Hurn as skipper. My concern being that i see him as an offensive weapon we really weren't using enough to great effect, and that the added responsibility would just be another burden on his shoulders to go along with the attention he receives from taggers, when really he should be concentrating on his own game and getting off the leash as much as possible. All i knew was i'm glad it wasn't Selwood, and thankfully we got that part right.

His stats this year are down in pretty much all areas compared to last year. Disposals, marks goals and tackles, whilst people have regularly highlighted some of his poor games throughout the year.

In fact, you could argue that Schofield, Wellingham, Sheppard, and McGovern have all had better years than our experienced captain. I'm not sure how Hurn is tracking on the Big Footy Player of The Year, i suppose we'll find out soon enough from fidstar

Whilst Simmo and his gameplan is constantly praised, Hurn has rarely been mentioned as a huge part for our success this year. He's possibly the most inconspicuous captain in the AFL, i myself won't deny that occasionally throughout the year i forgot we even had a captain, such is the manner in which he goes about things and the impact he's had.

This isn't a ROAST thread, i realize people are still fired up over such a disappointing end to the season, but i'm curious to see what people think and how they grade him. Especially now they've witnessed the true leadership of Hodge and Hawthorn on the big stage. Leadership you can constantly see, in fact it's shoved in your face so much it's rather sickening.

Dark Sharks Rating: D or a 4/10
I think the measure of a great leader is not only what you do but what you sacrifice for the group.

Hurn had to sacrifice his natural game this year to be a lock down defender mostly playing above his weight class.
He enabled Wellingham and Sheppherd to attack the contest and use their pace to link up out of defence.

He led a formidable team who enjoyed a breakout year, climbing up the ladder and finishing second before falling at the final hurdle.

Most of all he held the team together on and off the field and would have paid no small part in the belief and comradarie that was fostered within the playing group.
8/10 or B+

No, we don't.

But is he the kind of leader that players give their all for? The kind of bloke people go the extra mile for, just so they don't let the leader down, when others would give up?

So perhaps you should rephrase your question to something like 'did the weight of leadership impact on his own performances'?

I think the measure of a great leader is not only what you do but what you sacrifice for the group.

Hurn had to sacrifice his natural game this year to be a lock down defender mostly playing above his weight class.
He enabled Wellingham and Sheppherd to attack the contest and use their pace to link up out of defence.

He led a formidable team who enjoyed a breakout year, climbing up the ladder and finishing second before falling at the final hurdle.

Most of all he held the team together on and off the field and would have paid no small part in the belief and comradarie that was fostered within the playing group.
8/10 or B+
Very well said.

It's harder for Hurn to impose himself on the contest like a Hodge or Fyfe etc.

He's had to be far more accountable and can't just go and take the game on like midfielders can. I think captains in defensive positions will always seem slightly impotent, unless they're loudmouth campaigners like Maxwell.

Had a not-so-great season, but not sure his captaincy was that bad. Sort of playing a weird role though - hopefully with Mackenzie back he can be shuffled around to better effect

Perhaps we need to wait till McKenzie and Brown get back into the team before we cast judgement .

Hurn has not only had to lead the TEAM as a whole ..... but he had a very important role in making sure our back line held up.

For those who go to the games its very apparent how much coaching and directing / marshalling of our players he does.

He has had to play above his hight range most games this year and done it well.

Hurn has sacrificed a part of his own natural game for the sake of the team.... now thats what leaders do.

He seems to be respected by both players and officials and that a big plus from me .

Stupidly harsh assessment in the OP

It was his 1st year as Captain - very few leaders have an impact in that role in their 1st year
With the injuries to Emac and Brown, Hurn had to change his role within a makeshift defence to become more of a lockdown defender. Sheppingham became the rebounding defender Hurn used to be
Like Glass, Hurn is a naturally quiet person and isn't a naturally good speaker but that will come as he gets more used to the role
Less than half the AFL clubs have a player you'd describe as a great captain from an external perspective

Was n't Hurn one of our best in the qualifying final against this same Hawthorn team? Luke Hodge for all his great leadership could n't do a thing, for almost 3 quaters, to lift his team. We led by 50 at 3/4 time in that game and they led by 50 at 3/4 time today. Of course Hurn had a terrible game today but it is not like he got caught drink driving or something. FWIW I think he did OK for a first year captain by guiding his team to a grand final.

Didn't lead the team yesterday unfortunately.

Hurn looked overawed walking on to the field, was quiet in the rooms pre game, played his worst game, didn't lead from the front.

Too quiet, too humble, and is simply just a solid B sometimes B+ player IMO. He doesn't impact games as much as he should. He is a serious weapon and I always thought he could have been so much more.

I wonder if we'll keep him as captain next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back