List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. I'd be very surprised if they could even match it. If it was a poker game I would be calling there bluff.

Have you seen all the players the crows resigned this year? Some hefty price tags there. Not much from delistings or retirement front that would free up some cash. They still have around 10 players to resign or cull but I can't see any of them on the big dollars.
If those 10 players are on low wages. Ie 200,000. Then that's 2 million plus the 600,000 gap Danger has just left. They thus can match any offer.

It is possible to satisfy everyone (a slight variation on mahlepi's earlier post):

1. No match by eagles for Selwood, no match by crows for danger
2. Cats picks 9 and 46 for crows picks 14(comp) and 32
3. Pick 14 and Cats pick 28 to blues for henderson and their pick 20
4. Pick 32 on-traded to GCS for Smith
5. Jansen plus Cats round 1 pick in 2016 for a homesick, former Geelong Falcon, mystery mid

See, everyone happy. Well, everyone I give a sh*t about anyway.

Id almost do that deal as long as we found a way to get all four.

Remembering that by the time we get to pick in the draft we will be selecting players to fill list space hopefully S.Wells can pull a rabbit or two

I know that. You know that. This is what we're dealing with though. Irrational thought processes.

I could buy a nice boat if I got a dollar for every time one of them has said "send him to the draft, it's better than the compo/pick 9"

Something will get done and I don't think we'll overpay.
I had Crows' supporters tell me that Adelaide wouldn't match if they were given two first round draft picks from the AFL. Something along the lines of "Patrick Dangerfield is worth more than just two first round draft picks and Geelong should be paying it". The AFL could give them 18 first round draft picks and they still wouldn't be happy because Geelong would be getting Danger for nothing.

I had Crows' supporters tell me that Adelaide wouldn't match if they were given two first round draft picks from the AFL. Something along the lines of "Patrick Dangerfield is worth more than just two first round draft picks and Geelong should be paying it". The AFL could give them 18 first round draft picks and they still wouldn't be happy becauze Geelong would be getting Danger for nothing.

That's the irony, the system is not Geelong's, but they have an issue with us for some reason

That's the irony, the system is not Geelong's, but they have an issue with us for some reason
For a brief period in history, Geelong will be the only club to have ever registered more hatred in the eyes of an Adelaide supporter than Port Power. I thought that they hated Sydney after Tippett, but the hatred and vitriol directed at Geelong is pretty staggering.

Reading todays papers PDs manager has told Crows they would be better off taking the compo pick, and that he would not talk PD out of entering the draft, he doubts any club would pick him knowing he only wants to play for Cats. Also read that Crows are starting to come to terms with reality, some there are torn between only going for our pick 9, others thinking compo.
Maybe they are starting to realise that Connors/Wells/Everyone else think a trade just had to be an upgrade on the compo but is never going to be value.

Things just got a bit uglier in the bidding war. Robbo named Dangerfield as No.3 in his end of year Top 50 players.

Danger is Geelong's only player in Robbo's top 50

If those 10 players are on low wages. Ie 200,000. Then that's 2 million plus the 600,000 gap Danger has just left. They thus can match any offer.

Would it be worth us holding off until the end of the trade and FA period in case they have picked a few additional players up hence have less $ to match?

Yeah its a massive flaw with the system. Adelaide can basically rort the matching process.

Before they can even think about matching the offer the AFL will advise the Crows if they have the space to match. Once the AFL come back and confirm the outcome. Then and only then can Adelaide match.

So they can't rort the system again ala Tippetgate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before they can even think about matching the offer the AFL will advise the Crows if they have the space to match. Once the AFL come back and confirm the outcome. Then and only then can Adelaide match.

So they can't rort the system again ala Tippetgate
The point is while you leave 7-8 players unsigned, as they have, you can effectively match any offer even though there's zero intention of keeping him.

Things just got a bit uglier in the bidding war. Robbo named Dangerfield as No.3 in his end of year Top 50 players.

Danger is Geelong's only player in Robbo's top 50
And that is pretty damning for us, no Selwood, Taylor, Johnson, Bartel, Kelly, Motlop or any of our 'stars'. Very poor year all round and I guess the only way is up.

The point is while you leave 7-8 players unsigned, as they have, you can effectively match any offer even though there's zero intention of keeping him.

Even if you believe that is the case you will have a total of 14 (including delisted/retires) positions available on your list that need to be filled and you have no dollars.

For a brief period in history, Geelong will be the only club to have ever registered more hatred in the eyes of an Adelaide supporter than Port Power. I thought that they hated Sydney after Tippett, but the hatred and vitriol directed at Geelong is pretty staggering.
Imagine the reception from the crowd when Danger lines up against them for the first time at Adelaide oval. Gonna be a feral environment. Can't wait :)

I can't see it happening, they'll have a huge gap on there list. 15 spots the crows need to fill on there list at present.

Even if you believe that is the case you will have a total of 14 (including delisted/retires) positions available on your list that need to be filled and you have no dollars.
That only happens if Dangerfield stays which is a virtual impossibility.

Wouldn't they need to still have cap space for base grade replacements at the very least? I imagine that you would not be able to use up all currently "free" cap space as part of a match, which could be accepted by the player, thereby leaving the Club unable to add other players to reach the required level.

The restriction, was to 'keep' the player, not force further trade options. It was put in place so that matching allows the player to reach their market value, but their rights are kept.

The trade option, was a poorly thought out process as we are experiencing now. Selfishness across the board from a few clubs (crows, Carlton etc) sees it's major flaws and a reason why it will be gone next year.

I disagree that its a poorly thought out process but I will reserve my judgement for once this trade is completed as imo the restricted free agent works in theory. That is the rival club puts in an offer so great the existing club can't match (aka buddy or betts) or you put in an offer that can be matched then the club seeking the player must negotiate with the existing club on our trade. Now say Lachie Henderson was actually from Adelaide then it would make sense not to match as at best Henderson is worth pick 14 anyway. But it gets trickier when it's a player of PD caliber who is clearly worth more than 14. Imo if PD ends up in the draft then restricted free agency has failed but if our clubs can negotiate a reasonable trade then it has worked as intended.

Unlike the Crows board I'd like to think that Adelaide would be aware that as a restricted free agent PD value had diminished in terms of trading and suit Geelong a lot more than if he was traded 2 years ago. The reality is that Treloar actually has more trade value than PD due to him not being a RFA.

That only happens if Dangerfield stays which is a virtual impossibility.
So danger should call their bluff. Match and I'll stay. Of course this relies on Geelong offering a large 2 year contract. They then have to make the call - keep danger and lose 4 or 5 of those players... I assume they'd already have in principal agreements with most of those guys

The restriction, was to 'keep' the player, not force further trade options. It was put in place so that matching allows the player to reach their market value, but their rights are kept.

The trade option, was a poorly thought out process as we are experiencing now. Selfishness across the board from a few clubs (crows, Carlton etc) sees it's major flaws and a reason why it will be gone next year.

It's not poorly thought out at all, it's identical to the US system which has been in place for years where matching is commonplace.

The restriction is that clubs either have to offer the player a contract that their club isn't prepared to match or they have to acquire the player via trade. The whole purpose of restricted free agency is that clubs have to take a hit in some way to obtain a restricted free agent, their either do it through their salary cap through the player taking a massive pay deal or they have to trade.

All Geelong have to do is exactly what Sydney did with Franklin, offer him a godfather deal. We won't match and I am sure that club will just take the compo pick and go home. Saying that we're exploiting the system can also be swung around to also say that if Geelong are attempting to sign restricted free agents through low ball deals and then demanding that the clubs don't match is equally as exploitative of the process.

Imagine the reception from the crowd when Danger lines up against them for the first time at Adelaide oval. Gonna be a feral environment. Can't wait :)
I hope it isn't to be honest. He deserves a lot more than an ugly reception. He left Adelaide in the best possible terms and I think a lot of media personalities and Adelaide supporters have already forgotten that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back