Preview Geelong V North Sun Jul 9 110pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Irish players in for Tuohy’s record breaking game - perfect 🤩

Sorry if already mentioned, but we now know who'll be chairing Tuohy off after the match

I'm not really keen in Mullin a game... this guy wouldn't of even played 10 footy games in his life.. I would of thought playing rest of the season in the VFL, just so he how to understand playing the game. Guys like Knevitt or even Whyte who should be getting games in the AFL. I just don't really understand in why he should be playing AFL right now. I'm happy to see the guy get time, but surely other guys like Whyte and even Neale could of got a crack this week.
I just think playing the rest of this year in the VFL is better of for him
It seems Mullin is getting games ahead of time to keep him here as could easily go home if not happy but cats need to be careful cause many of our young players could do a cooper Stephen's and ask for a trade if they keep getting overlooked

Alternative is to start Mena and see how he goes. Sub with Knevitt?
I like. Whatever the club chooses I will back. They know from training and intimate analytics and knowledge where each player is at.

If they choose knevitt over menegola I imagine it is one of two things

1. They are prioritizing a rebuild
2. They don’t believe menegola can reach that standard anymore.

Either way I support the clubs decisions. You would be a bit of an arrogant ungrateful brat after the decades of success we have had to turn around and criticize the decision making after 4 premierships and missing finals twice in 20 odd years. We clearly have great decision makers at geelong

Menegola probably should of got an all australian gig in his last full season. Are you saying we can already declare knevitts potential all australian
Menegola probably should of got an all australian gig in his last full season. Are you saying we can already declare knevitts potential all australian level?
No not all but menegola has to show more at vfl before he plays AFL

I hope we aren't silly enough to go with as tall a defense as we did last week. Swans had no trouble hitting up targets. This might be the best game to keep Sav on Larkey and use SDK as a second ruck or as a second forward.
We've already named shorter line up with Kolodjashnij injured - that'll help correct some of the imbalance from last week

It seems Mullin is getting games ahead of time to keep him here as could easily go home if not happy but cats need to be careful cause many of our young players could do a cooper Stephen's and ask for a trade if they keep getting overlooked

Has Cooper actually made his senior debut with Hawthorn yet or still in the VFL?

I get what you're saying, but it's not often that the club gets it wrong in terms of a youngster getting itchy feet & looking for an out thinking they'll get better opportunities elsewhere

But surely Whyte can play that small defender..and we can have other guys like Zuthrie, Stewart Tuhoy could help out

How's Whyte's form been though?

I was impressed by him in the pre-season games, he then got an early season debut but really haven't heard much about him since and going by the VFL thread on here it seems he's not necessarily putting himself in a position for a senior recall

That could be the case.. and it shouldn't be picked as it makes him stay... I don't like it..

Not that it concerns me in the least - because the Cats did win the flag in season 2022 - so alls good

But this upcoming game does concern me a bit - and with the Test cricket currently in progess - at Headingley in Leeds - then one could postulate that DK Lillee and Rodney Marsh if he was still with us - that they would have a betting ticket in hand - stating North Melb to win - at the massive odds on offer

I was impressed by him in the pre-season games, he then got an early season debut but really haven't heard much about him since and going by the VFL thread on here it seems he's not necessarily putting himself in a position for a senior recall
His form hasn't been great, but if I had to choose who form been been better in Whyte or Mullin I'd go Whyte easily, but that's understanding as Mullin hasn't played footy before this year...
I felt for Whyte in regards being named as a sub in his 1st game and only played bugger all game time. Which it wouldn't been good for confidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt it. We've got a lot of retirements coming up over the next 2 years. Our young players have been given more opportunities/have more coming up the next 2 years than any season since 2006 I reckon. One of our stats heads will come and correct me I'm sure, but we've had a good chunk of < 23 year olds getting games compared to a lot of our contending years.

There is that. There is also his maddening tendency to wildly overestimate the time he has to safely dispose of the ball once he has it in his possession.

Dennis Cometti's 'delusions of adequacy' does sadly spring to mind when he lifts his arms and looks to take on the three tacklers headed his way.
My biggest frustration with Sam. It's as if he is trying to defy the speed of the game.

I am a fan… but he did seem to go through a “slump” post his debut. Understandable - although both Knevitt and Dempsey (and Mullin) have actually perfomed better in VFL after going back…

With Whyte he has played the last 4-5 weeks on the wing and even a little forward. Not sure if they are experimenting or permanent. Has improved last couple of weeks - was good against the swans. But he is still learning that role I reckon.

Interesting that they signed Willis ahead of Whyte - given Willis hardly plays. Maybe means nothing.

But Whyte is playing VFL rest of the year I reckon - hoping to be resigned for a change to impress next year

Has Cooper actually made his senior debut with Hawthorn yet or still in the VFL?

I get what you're saying, but it's not often that the club gets it wrong in terms of a youngster getting itchy feet & looking for an out thinking they'll get better opportunities elsewhere
Nope….

I posted in VFL thread a week or so back some very descriptive post VFL game review from the Box Hill coach. Basically saying he is good inside but needs to work harder throughout the game and learn to spread and impact for longer. Amazing how pointed the feedback was given it was public.’

I like. Whatever the club chooses I will back. They know from training and intimate analytics and knowledge where each player is at.

If they choose knevitt over menegola I imagine it is one of two things

1. They are prioritizing a rebuild
2. They don’t believe menegola can reach that standard anymore.

Either way I support the clubs decisions. You would be a bit of an arrogant ungrateful brat after the decades of success we have had to turn around and criticize the decision making after 4 premierships and missing finals twice in 20 odd years. We clearly have great decision makers at geelong
I thought that was our role on Bigfooty? We know best here for sure!! 😯

This is Mullins' first season, and he's very AFL naive.
CS had been there a several seasons

But surely Whyte can play that small defender..and we can have other guys like Zuthrie, Stewart Tuhoy could help out

His form hasn't been great, but if I had to choose who form been been better in Whyte or Mullin I'd go Whyte easily, but that's understanding as Mullin hasn't played footy before this year...
I felt for Whyte in regards being named as a sub in his 1st game and only played bugger all game time. Which it wouldn't been good for confidence
See id argue Mullin has showed more than Whyte lately

Whyte has also been playing further up the ground and Mullin is definitely more like Bews

Mullin has performed quite well actually in his AFL games. His first game was superb given where he’s come from and I think the second, while quieter, he stuck to a role with a higher distance covered than most. I think MC can see Mullin can add something at AFL and possibly develop quicker than at VFL level.

I think Oisin is better selection than Whyte. I really like Whyte’s attributes but I wonder about his fitness - IMO doesn’t rack up enough possessions in VFL - I’ve wonder if still carries some leg problems.

Last edited:
We've already named shorter line up with Kolodjashnij injured - that'll help correct some of the imbalance from last week
i don't see it correcting the imbalance of sydney walking the ball through the middle of the ground like a picnic date hitting up targets with time and space. god it was painful to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back