List Mgmt. Thanks and good luck Matty Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

What role did he play with you guys in his 16 games this year?

A defensive small forward that didn't kick many goals. Occasionally played through the middle as an inside/outside mid, tending on half forward.

Wasn't hugely effective in any role, to put it bluntly

Wrighty had a superb 2012 and never really wen't on with it. I feel for him but I can understand why he got delisted. He just doesn't have enough weapons at AFL level, not quick enough, not tall enough and can't kick the ball over 40m.

Still he's not the worst guy on our list and it wouldn't surprise me if get gets picked up by another club.

Wrighty had a superb 2012 and never really wen't on with it. I feel for him but I can understand why he got delisted. He just doesn't have enough weapons at AFL level, not quick enough, not tall enough and can't kick the ball over 40m.

Still he's not the worst guy on our list and it wouldn't surprise me if get gets picked up by another club.
In his highlights, there are a couple of goals coming from the 50m line... so that kinda puts paid to the can't kick over 40m story.

Poll on AFL.com.au says "Delisted Crow Matthew Wright - worth a look?"

He's at 70% Yes, he's AFL quality, and 30% No, he's a fringe player

Good luck to him, hopefully he gets picked up.

In his highlights, there are a couple of goals coming from the 50m line... so that kinda puts paid to the can't kick over 40m story.

Yeah I'm not sure why this keeps being said, I thinks just am exaggeration, he doesn't have a very penetrating field kick and would struggle to kick50+ for goal, I think his best attribute is his goal sense.

Still reckon he could be useful at a club that can give him a majority midfield role. Good luck, Matty.

I think that he would be a good pick up for us... would have a role to play and seems to be a bit of an upgrade on Dennis Armfield as well. And if we picked up Gresham, would provide cover for a couple of years while Gresham finished filling out.

Plus, if he was pushed out because of Menzel, it means that we got Wright, Kerridge and 28 for Menzel. And the trade is looking somewhat better now :D

I think he needs to play primarily as an extraction midfielder. His attributes don't suit that of a positional player, I think he needs to be around traffic and contests. And we have plenty of those and he's just nudged the wrong side of 25 and found himself without a contract at the wrong time. But as others have said, if all was even and given that we've just having lost Danger and Kedge and taking into account the players we traded in, he really isn't the player that should have been delisted. But again, other factors, Dmac's contract length and VB being an ex-captain and having 1 year to go has resulted in Matty being the one. Would not surprise if we rookied him again should there be no takers in the 2 senior drafts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite part is the tackle on Hill and immediately regains his feet to get the handball received and then goal. He really did like playing against Fremantle!

Also he is integral to one of my favourite moments of all time at Adelaide Oval. That roar from the crowd still sends tingles up my spine hearing it again, and without the smother, that play would never have happened.

1.29... All gone

The exception which proves the rule really. You've only watched his highlights package but I've watched every game he's ever played. I know all of the upsides and downsides of Wrighty's game and long distance kicking is not one of his strengths.

As for whether or not his low distance kicking is a major issue is really up to the coach and game plan.

He still has plenty of other good qualities though. He's generally a good ball user, accurate set shot and he has excellent goal sense from in close. He also courageous and will put his body in harms way to get the footy.

Poll on AFL.com.au says "Delisted Crow Matthew Wright - worth a look?"

He's at 70% Yes, he's AFL quality, and 30% No, he's a fringe player

Good luck to him, hopefully he gets picked up.
The Cats could pick him up rather than using pick #167...

One of those players that look under talented but still managed to perform very well at times. I remember a certain game at Subiaco against Freo that was outstanding. His ability to perform to that level doesn't disappear. Certainly has struggled but those quality games weren't aberrations. I would very much like to see him given a second chance. He is still relatively young by AFL standards, although unlikely Wright would be a good aquisition in an inexperienced team.

Just looking at some of the highlights you can easily forget how good of a season he had in 2012. Soon as he took the number 11 he went to average.
Hope he gets another chance at AFL level. Always like to keep an eye on ex Crows
Ha. Was thinking the same thing. Should've kept number 47.

then there was the 4 goals against Geelong in the wet which destroyed the Goal Kicking Comp on the board because of the stupid rules implemented that round - opening goal, game winner, x 4 multiball immunity card made it game over right then -

Remove this Banner Ad

Back