Oppo Camp 2015 non-Geelong match and general football discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did this bloke not win a brownlow then haha? He sounds pretty extraordinary. Throw me some highlights and I'll watch them when I get home.

When I look at our list back in the early 90s it perplexes me how we didnt win a flag.
Quite simply he kept getting rubbed out..
I think he was top 2 or 3 about 3 or 4 years in a row, each year he was ineligible for belting someone during the year haha.

He played on the edge, ruthless aggression at the ball and man, mixed in with sublime foot skills on both sides of his body.

I think he was top 2 or 3 about 3 or 4 years in a row, each year he was ineligible for belting someone during the year haha.

He played on the edge, ruthless aggression at the ball and man, mixed in with sublime foot skills on both sides of his body.

Haha i just watched an interview of him and I get the kind of feel just off that the type of player he was. Not surprised at all after watching that he got suspended a lot haha. I need to watch more game from back then.

best highlight real I can find of him is him winning a microwave? Wtf haha.

Haha i just watched an interview of him and I get the kind of feel just off that the type of player he was. Not surprised at all after watching that he got suspended a lot haha. I need to watch more game from back then.

best highlight real I can find of him is him winning a microwave? Wtf haha.

Was a highlight in those days.

The only thing we won for years :(

Still one of my all time faves for the cat's. Lol yeah came a foul w the tribunal and so much deserved a charlie but that doesn't disappoint me at all w buddha.
I think he was the player that the laws mob bk then bought the charging rule in....after he met robert harvey slightly at KP that game

I'm talking prior to when he begun having the fluid drained from his knees some games after 1993. Before that, he would take some absolute pearler's as he had a seriously good leap (underrated in this area).
Be good to make some highlights of him though, when going through videos, you often see Buddha do some wonderful things throughout.

I'd take Hocking over Selwood myself but Selwood has closed the gap. Selwood's stood up in finals time and time again whereas Buddha was often the main focus of our midfield and as such, copped the toughest opponent which led to some very poor games when he was in his prime no doubt.
I know Ablett Senior was up and down after 1993 but he was 33-35 years of age and was on decline, same with Bairstow and Couch.
Buddha is/was better skilled... but Selwood has this inner something that makes him an absolute champion... that ability to impart himself on the contest when it is needed... I actually don't know who I would choose... fffuuuaarrkk that's a tough one.. :confused:

No slight on either player... 2 of the best that I have ever seen for our club that is for sure

Done his ankle Early in a GF against the WCE. Do stats account for these type of things?
Did he not do a hammy against Carlton too? Or was that Riccardi?

Go Catters

Buddha is/was better skilled... but Selwood has this inner something that makes him an absolute champion... that ability to impart himself on the contest when it is needed... I actually don't know who I would choose... fffuuuaarrkk that's a tough one.. :confused:

No slight on either player... 2 of the best that I have ever seen for our club that is for sure

Dangerfield and Selwood will be two of the most influential players at the one time in which we have not had since the Bartel/Ablett Jnr days. Dangerfield is like Selwood in the sense he lifts when a game is slipping away. A vary rare trait to have one of those in the any team, let alone two in the same team.

Speaking out of lack of knowledge but dad always told me Buddha never showed up for finals? Truth behind it? Dad loves to over hype things haha.

I was to young to remember our early 90s success (or lack there of).

Anyone got any highlights of him at his best?

I think Buddha's best years were 95-98 after Bairstow and Couch had retired. He was in the best few midfielders in the comp easily. His record in our GFs wasn't great but from memory there were only 3-4 players who emerged with their reps intact. As far as other finals go he was normally amongst our best. In addition, our hopes in the midfield rested almost solely with Buddha.
In Libba's book he commented that people didn't realise how good Buddha was and that he had trouble containing him. This was when Libba's had a very impressive set of scalps.
Was as good on his left foot as anyone I've seen including Aker and Gaz Snr.
Is he is good as our group of on-ballers during our golden run? It's an unfair comparison given the success we had during our run but I have him behind Jnr but clear of Bartel, Selwood and Corey if you compared their best.

I think Buddha's best years were 95-98 after Bairstow and Couch had retired. He was in the best few midfielders in the comp easily. His record in our GFs wasn't great but from memory there were only 3-4 players who emerged with their reps intact. As far as other finals go he was normally amongst our best. In addition, our hopes in the midfield rested almost solely with Buddha.
In Libba's book he commented that people didn't realise how good Buddha was and that he had trouble containing him. This was when Libba's had a very impressive set of scalps.
Is he is good as our group of on-ballers during our golden run? It's an unfair comparison given the success we had during our run but I have him behind Jnr but clear of Bartel, Selwood and Corey if you compared their best.

Sorry one other thing to give you an idea. At his absolute best, Buddha would have kept Jnr honest to a degree. Probably give him a few clips too!

I rate Selwood as Geelongs greatest ever player - and you have summed it perfectly there

Sure some players might have more skill ( although Joel is very talented) but Joel is a winner - he hasnt wasted any part of his career - and he delivers when it counts - which is basically most games

Prior to his arrival - Geelong were a frustrating club - often described as front runners - suspect under pressure

Amazingly Selwood walks in the door - 2007 - and that all changes - Premierships - and now captain

Just on Hocking - i read Berti Diperdemincos book about 15 years - and he said at the qtr time huddle of the 1989 GF - John Platten didnt know where he was - he was in gah gah land . Now im not condoning violence - but Hawthorn back then were fair game - it was amazing there was never any TV vision of what Hocking did to Platten - but he was definitely the one who hit him .

Sorry Couch retired in 1997

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Selwood as Geelongs greatest ever player - and you have summed it perfectly there

I have a great deal of admiration for Selwood, but I'd always have Ablett junior ahead, and he's not close to Ablett senior.

Prior to his arrival - Geelong were a frustrating club - often described as front runners - suspect under pressure

Amazingly Selwood walks in the door - 2007 - and that all changes - Premierships - and now captain

I would argue there were at least five or six other factors that were far more important to our success that year.

Just on Hocking - i read Berti Diperdemincos book about 15 years - and he said at the qtr time huddle of the 1989 GF - John Platten didnt know where he was - he was in gah gah land . Now im not condoning violence - but Hawthorn back then were fair game - it was amazing there was never any TV vision of what Hocking did to Platten - but he was definitely the one who hit him .

There is TV vision of it. It was completely fair. It's one of the great football myths, founded on complete bullshit. Platten was waiting for the ball to bounce to him, and as Hocking gathered it he spun and collected Platten to the jaw with his shoulder. No Hawthorn player remonstrated, and from memory there wasn't a free kick.

Hocking was no angel in the field - to me he was much dirtier than Ablett - but in this incident he did nothing wrong.

Helpful insight mate. I'd have everyone I've seen behind Jnr including his father (who I've watched countless highlights of). No player has a had a more complete game then him. Still my favorite player, AFL's comparison to Michael Jordan imo.

I never knew this. Do you have some inkling of when Platten went down in the game?
They were all dropping like flies and I figured he just copped a heavy bump of some sort, not put down for the count by Buddha

He got him about half way through the 1/4 but I think it was a cheap bump to the head, I think it was forearm or elbow but not like Dippers hit on Buddha.

I have a great deal of admiration for Selwood, but I'd always have Ablett junior ahead, and he's not close to Ablett senior.

I would argue there were at least five or six other factors that were far more important to our success that year.

There is TV vision of it. It was completely fair. It's one of the great football myths, founded on complete bullshit. Platten was waiting for the ball to bounce to him, and as Hocking gathered it he spun and collected Platten to the jaw with his shoulder. No Hawthorn player remonstrated, and from memory there wasn't a free kick.

Hocking was no angel in the field - to me he was much dirtier than Ablett - but in this incident he did nothing wrong.

I always thought he got him with an elbow.

I always thought he got him with an elbow.

Nup just a shoulder. It's similar in a way to when Ablett collected Dipper; there were Hawthorn teammates right there, and there was no remonstration. The reason was neither were considered remotely dirty or cheap in 1989.

You only need to see how Essendon players reacted to Dipper's elbow on Alan Stoneham (a few years earlier), to see what they thought when someone really did raise the elbow.

I never knew this. Do you have some inkling of when Platten went down in the game?
They were all dropping like flies and I figured he just copped a heavy bump of some sort, not put down for the count by Buddha

It's around halfway through the first quarter Bob, perhaps later. It's near the wing on the MCC side. When you'll see it you won't believe a jaw got broken. It looks pretty innocuous, and it was accidental.

Remember Dermie writing he hated Buddha for what he did to Platten but then balanced that with for when Paul Dear cleaned him up in the 91 second Semi and Buddha didn't bat an eyelid.

Apparently Blight lectured him after the 89 GF in regards to him kicking on the full after Dipper elbowed him. Buddha commented this stuck with him thereafter when he copped hits he just got on with it.
Remember Craig Kelly went him with an elbow at AFL Park and Buddha just wanted to go on with it.

Remember Dermie writing he hated Buddha for what he did to Platten but then balanced that with for when Paul Dear cleaned him up in the 91 second Semi and Buddha didn't bat an eyelid.

Apparently Blight lectured him after the 89 GF in regards to him kicking on the full after Dipper elbowed him. Buddha commented this stuck with him thereafter when he copped hits he just got on with it.
Remember Craig Kelly went him with an elbow at AFL Park and Buddha just wanted to go on with it.

Yeah I think it was Liberatore who said Hocking was not only the toughest player he'd seen, but also that no matter what you did to him he never complained at all.

It wouldn't surprise me if Brereton has never watched it either.

It's around halfway through the first quarter Bob, perhaps later. It's near the wing on the MCC side. When you'll see it you won't believe a jaw got broken. It looks pretty innocuous, and it was accidental.
Am I right in thinking over the course of the game
- Buddha ironed out Platten
- Dipper ironed out Buddha
- and then Gaz ironed out Dipper?

* it was a different world back then

It wouldn't surprise me if Brereton has never watched it either.
Would be hard for Brereton to pick up anything watching replays of his games as he would only pay attention to himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back