What do you realistically expect from Tom Boyd?

What is a pass mark for Tom Boyd in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a myth very big KPFs don't take time see below. Puts Boyd in a reasonable light. Sure we overpaid but we bottomed out when GC and GWS and FA were introduced. We had to do something.....something legal...

He was talking age.

Nearly every great key forward in the history of the game has been a star or exceptionally good by the age of 22. Most by the age of 21.

He's only just turned 20, so 2017 is the year Boyd really needs to make significant progress, imo.

He was talking age.

Nearly every great key forward in the history of the game has been a star or exceptionally good by the age of 22. Most by the age of 21.

He's only just turned 20, so 2017 is the year Boyd really needs to make significant progress, imo.

No argument there. Happy with 30 goals and 22 games next year. Looking for 40 in 2017. Anything more is a bonus. With cap increasing Boyd's salary will be relatively ok by 2017, personally ok if he gets to Tippett levels. Reckon he will be better though.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-...yd-needs-to-find-his-athletic-side-montgomery

He came to us as a power forward, as a kid that didn’t move a lot. He was able to dominate one player, who was able to see a good share of entries come his way and not have to move up the ground too far.

That’s just not how AFL’s played. He’ll need to adapt and he’s well aware of that.

Well s**t. You mean to tell me the first year power forward that you offered a multi million dollar deal isn't exactly ripping the league apart in his second year? Color me shocked....

Christ, if anyone should be avoiding publicly criticising Boyd its the Bulldogs.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-...yd-needs-to-find-his-athletic-side-montgomery

Well s**t. You mean to tell me the first year power forward that you offered a multi million dollar deal isn't exactly ripping the league apart in his second year? Color me shocked....

Christ, if anyone should be avoiding publicly criticising Boyd its the Bulldogs.
Yeah I'm not sure what Montgomery is trying to accomplish here. Not a fan. He was putting in considerable ruck minutes throughout the year anyway (and looking pretty good there) so I don't really understand his point.

What Boyd needs to do is build a tank, not build up to some arbitrary amount of time spent in the ruck or "find his athletic side." :drunk:

Yeah I'm not sure what Montgomery is trying to accomplish here. Not a fan. He was putting in considerable ruck minutes throughout the year anyway (and looking pretty good there) so I don't really understand his point.

What Boyd needs to do is build a tank, not build up to some arbitrary amount of time spent in the ruck or "find his athletic side." :drunk:

He's a second year tall forward!

Not seeing how criticising, lightly or not, is in anyway helpful.

He was talking age.

The current Coleman medalist kicked 18 goals from his first 3 seasons from 29 games, 7 goals from 7 games in his 3rd season.

Boyd kicked 16 goals from 14 games in 2nd season as a 19 year old. Long way to go for him but he's on track, of course he needs to show improvement but I don't think it needs to be as significant as you say

He was talking age.

Nick Riewoldt kicked fifty goals in his fourth season.

Warren Tredrea and Brendan Fevola in their fifth.

Jarryd Roughead got it in four.

Jack Riewoldt took four years (and TBH, he was bordering on spud territory prior to that).

There are SOME forwards from the recent past that have done it quicker. Matthew Lloyd and Lance Franklin spring to mind, but lets face it, they were both stunningly good in their early years.

Yeah, I think its pretty reasonable to suggest that very good forwards to tend to be showing it by the time they hit that fourth or fifth year.

Bizarre comments from Montgomery. Expect he'll cop it from Beveridge for that.

Bizarre comments from Montgomery. Expect he'll cop it from Beveridge for that.

Internally? Go for your life. I'm sure there are a long list of things the club would be asking Boyd to work on.

But even though it was 'light' criticism, publicly slapping the second year forward who was (rightfully) paid overs to extract? Just weird....

Boyd is not a natural forward. Very surprising to think that so many watched him at junior level and never picked up on it. The writing has been on the wall for some time now though. PR going into damage control already, maybe they'll decide to pay him out before the contract expires, may be prudent to do so whilst the Dogs are paying minimum cap.

Boyd is not a natural forward. Very surprising to think that so many watched him at junior level and never picked up on it. The writing has been on the wall for some time now though. PR going into damage control already, maybe they'll decide to pay him out before the contract expires, may be prudent to do so whilst the Dogs are paying minimum cap.

Hahahahahahaha. Why did you take him at pick 1 then. Cause it was the popular thing to do??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SOS stuffed up a lot of our early picks, this was one of them. At least we shipped him off and got good value at the right time.

Oh absolutely.

Except not at all....

:confused:

Poor at leading to space, poor at marking on a lead, poor at 1v1 marking contests, not sold on his goal kicking action either. Would be a much better ruckman than fwd.

Yeah..... either you have never seen the kid play or you just don't want to see it because he's not at the club anymore.

He's tracking just fine as a key forward. It's an extreme rarity for a key forward to be performing at a very good, or elite level after two seasons.

I mean, he couldn't hold his spot in a finals side? Geez..... delist him.

Could of been another Plowman or O'Rourke. The Boyd trade was very good for us.

It wasn't terrible for you, but the Dogs gave up pick 6 and a player that didn't want to be at their club for one of the most highly regarded key forward prospects in the game. They'd do that again in a heartbeat.

And Griffen wasn't exactly a superstar this year. Matter if fact, he was relatively average for a 'supposedly' elite player.

Having a laugh.

Boyd is as natural a key forward as they come, and for that matter, Ryan Griffen is washed.

Poor at leading to space, poor at marking on a lead, poor at 1v1 marking contests, not sold on his goal kicking action either. Would be a much better ruckman than fwd.
I try not to get involved in slanging matches and general bullshit banter, but this is, and I say this quite carefully, the most inane comment I've seen on Bigfooty. And it has, well had, some stiff competition.

Well done.

Having a laugh.

Boyd is as natural a key forward as they come, and for that matter, Ryan Griffen is washed.

How about a straight swap, Cooney for Boyd?

How about a straight swap, Cooney for Boyd?
One first pick for another, seems fair. But only if you throw in Tayte Pears.

Back