Preview Training reports, pics, training discussion, mustachioed 80s heartthrobs

Remove this Banner Ad

He is right. Puffy Sumner :)
Seems like a nice kid but needs to lift..........a pen at least.

Remember that Boekhorst isn't running yet, as he had a hip operation only a few weeks ago.

Probably means we won't see him do much this side of Christmas then.

Hi track watchers. Thanks again for all the reports; I can't get down to any training sessions so your summaries are gold.

Please let me know how the following are going:

Lamb - apparently he turned up in great nick
Byrne - is he over his injury? How is he moving/training?
Jaksch - apparently he obtained a running coach over the break. How is he moving/training?

I mention these three because I see them playing big roles if up and going.
Lamb - we a crying out for a small forward
Byrne - from what I have seen he is quick, strong and smart. Really need him across the hbf.
Jaksch - need him to play 3rd tall back/forward.

Cheers.

Boekhorst is looking very fit for someone who isn't running. Must be very disciplined with food and whatever training he can do. Music to my ears. I'm going to be up front with pedal to the floor on the Boekhorst bandwagon this year.
I'm the driver of the bandwagon please... thanks to the family connection :p get up the back of the bus.

If I spend 20 minutes boxing, I look like that....................sort of :)
Boeky really had to do it hard in the heat...............serves him right.
What was the temp in Melbourne yesterday? 33... pah... he would have just taken his jumper off for that one.

This time of year in Hedland, the temps are up around the high 30's to low 40's :)

Carlton has done very well in picking up the man mountain Harry McKay. Hopefully he will be remembered like Swan McKay and our current head of footy Andrew McKay. SOS has managed to pick up two 1st draft picks as Harry was 6 days shy of playing next year in the Under 18's and would have been No1 draft pick in 2017. Just quietly I think it must have been carnage at the McKay dinner table when the twins were growing up. I suspect a whole steer may not have been enough.

First time post on the board.

Anyone able to give a run down on how they following are looking:
- Thomas
- Boekhorst
- Tutt
- Jones
- Wood

Got question marks over these guys and just want to know their condition and if there is even the slightest bit of upside in their output this season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez Sumner looks more like a pinnie parlour frequenter than a professional athlete.

And, while I'm at it, any chance Jaksch can put on some muscles by the turn of the next century?

Boekhorst though looks like he's decided he no longer wants to be a pushover, good for him.

Smith looks good too.
I maintain this kid is a talent, he looked a class above most of his teammates last summer so fingers crossed his fitness will improve a notch or two for 2016.
Could be a surprise packet.

First time post on the board.

Anyone able to give a run down on how they following are looking:
- Thomas
- Boekhorst
- Tutt
- Jones
- Wood

Got question marks over these guys and just want to know their condition and if there is even the slightest bit of upside in their output this season?

Of course.and welcome HGL92

Thomas: Surprised to see him struggling through the running drills. DVR had him covered which I don't think is a great thing............unless Thomas was foxing. His general play and kicking is beautiful as usual. One pick up on the run was jaw-dropping.

Boekhorst: Hip op and in rehab group. Has put on some nice definition though.

Tutt looks good and performed well from what I saw. Just hard to keep watching him too much though....I don't know why.

Jones looked a beast.............I know, I know. Don't know how someone so tall can put himself on such a sharp running angle. Looked liked a powerful 178cm mid at times but that's training for you.

Wood just ran laps. Hard to gauge anything so far.

Looking physically excellent. Just what we would hope for in his second year as a 22 year old.
Side note - who in the hell is this? Cuningham?
412080-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg
He looks dead inside. :eek:

http://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleries/results/?q=collection:AFL 2015 Training - Carlton 251115&image_id=411955

Korcheck is a big imposing unit
http://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleri...015 Training - Carlton 251115&image_id=411955

Fixed link for those who needed it.

Thomas: Surprised to see him struggling through the running drills. DVR had him covered which I don't think is a great thing............unless Thomas was foxing. His general play and kicking is beautiful as usual. One pick up on the run was jaw-dropping.
Harks have been drinking while watching ??:)

Of course.and welcome HGL92

Boekhorst: Hip op and in rehab group. Has put on some nice definition though.

Tutt looks good and performed well from what I saw. Just hard to keep watching him too much though....I don't know why.

Jones looked a beast.............I know, I know. Don't know how someone so tall can put himself on such a sharp running angle. Looked liked a powerful 178cm mid at times but that's training for you.

Wood just ran laps. Hard to gauge anything so far.

Thanks for that, mate!

Go Blues!

Slow start to the day but it really built well.......from an interest perspective.
It's clear even this early, everyone is all ears when Bolton speaks. He's ever so.....lucid....very focused and easy to understand.
Bolton is happy to put halt to drills, the moment things are even a little out of place.....player positioning....players focus...etc.
His deputies all seem to be in tune with Barker being the happy-go-lucky fellow he was under Malthouse. Just can't imagine him as a senior coach.
As mentioned earlier, the drills are very instructive with a strong focus on covering space not allowing the next kick to find it's target. Just looks better to me than what Malthouse was doing and everyone has to be in tune to each others instructions.....almost on a staggered level. The player closest the opposition player in possession sets up the chain of command down the ground.
Great to see the team finding a hole through opposition defences and then setting out on a spread.
Will be interesting to see as to what level the players will adopt this. Should be easy I feel, and you can see some are finding better spots to go to than others.

The other important thing that's showing up already, is for the respect one has for the other.
Last year we had Thomas and only a couple of others...that really drove the 'team-mates' thing.
Great to see that it's now the kids that are the ones that seem to be driving the one-for-all and all-for-one motto. Really good.
I don't know what Kerridge has down in a couple of weeks but he has garnered himself great respect. Everyone seems to love him.

Probably a hard day to really pick out the highlight players as the day was more about instruction than field work, goal-kicking, stoppage work etc although it had a little of all and then some more.

Players:

Rehab group: Boekhorst, Murphy, Sumner, Kreuzer, Casboult, Jaksch, Walker & Plowman, whilst Wood and Armfield worked away from that group and largely alone. Casboult: Knee Bandage. Armfield: Lower arm bracing......White had knee bandaging but worked with the main group.

The older players seemed to be easing into things a little without seemingly really extending themselves, but good to see Gibbs, Simpson, Thomas, Tuohy and Jamison in everything and I won't discuss them in any detail for now.

Smith was terrific today. Best I've ever seen him and it had a look of 'the penny dropping' in the way he went about his work.
Cut his way through a congested drill on a couple of occasions, in very much a Yarran-fashion. His handballs were good, his tackling terrific and most of his field work was quality................fingers crossed.

Docherty looks terrific to me. Clearly built his endurance since joining us. Ran like a gazelle today...............and talking about gazelles.............

Byrne. I know I'm a fan but the way he stepped around players today was A-grade. Whereas Tuohy seems to prop and stop in similar situations, Byrne puts on the afterburners and just goes.

Sheehan was in full training and seems to be fit as a bull. Burnt off poor Buckley with ease through that walk...run....jog...fast run, drill. Poor Bucks :)

Korchek: Is the same guy I watched two weeks ago? He can kick now. What happened? Impressive and intimidating presence again today and something Gorringe didn't have for me. Not measuring the quality of player but just the strength of the presence.

Phillips again impressed....not as much as last time but he's no stop-gap. He and Korchek ran together and really pushed each other hard, whilst never looking slow. Both these guys can cover some serious ground.

DVR: The most confident I've seen him. Seems to be right at home with his peers and his coaches. He looks as though he's finally opened up.

Cripps didn't have his best day. Got dirty on himself a couple of times punching his hand. Did please the coaches near the end of the day though with a couple of bone-jarring tackles.

Graham looks like a captain out there. I know not everyone is a fan but this 182cm guy has presence and his execution in space and in stoppages was all quality...again.

All in all, we seem to have a pretty happy group of players. We'll see.

Great to hear! Kreuz seems to own the Rehab Group! Kerridge, Byrne and Sheehan might just surprise (essentially "new" recruits but with none of the "hype" surrounding the new boys).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without a word of lie, both these thoughts went through my head yesterday......well the gliding didn't as it was visual but Byrne just runs so 'light' and the term glide is so very applicable. Terrific athlete this kid.

I wondered to myself yesterday, just how good a player Byrne may have been, had have he been born into this game.
We all know that track and the real stuff are poles apart but I just can't see anything that suggests that Byrne won't make it............can do it with most other players but can't find any weaknesses in what Byrne is capable of.
He will bring a lot to the Blues. Athletically he is a beast, beat Van Berlo in the 3km time trail last year, which hasn't happened in a decade. All the best to him, I for one was sad to see him go, thought he brought more to the team than the likes of McKay, Van Berlo etc

......heard he brushes his teeth with Naga Viper chillies and uses capsicum spray for deodorant.
thats going a bit far :p

But honestly... as someone who lived up there, the first time I went down to Perth after being up there for a while with some mates... we were walking around in jeans and light jumpers and the temperature was around 35C.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back