List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extraordinary draft period, Nick O'Kearney is a freak ball winner, I had him in my top 30 draftable players all season long.
Quite clearly I was wrong though :) He's our new Jack Sinclair.
Your boy, BS.

All-Australian under 18 this year to boot.

Midfielder but a handy forward to begin with?

We obviously don't give a stuff if he is another "midget". ;)

Our U23's now...

FB: Wright - Goddard - White
HB: Webster - Coughlan - McKenzie
RK: Longer - Freeman - Dunstan
CR: Newnes - Ross - Acres
HF: Billings - Membrey - Sinclair
FF: Lonie - McCartin - Gresham
IC: Minchington Murdoch Pierce Rice Saunders O'Kearney Payne

And if you add the U25 players;
Lee
Savage
Hickey
Roberton
Carlisle
Weller
Bruce
Curren

:D

Last edited:
Our U23's now...

FB: Wright - Goddard - White
HB: Webster - Coughlan - McKenzie
RK: Longer - Freeman - Dunstan
CR: Newnes - Ross - Acres
HF: Billings - Bruce* - Sinclair
FF: Lonie - McCartin - Membrey
IC: Minchington Murdoch Pierce Gresham Rice Saunders O'Kearney Payne

And if you add the U25 players;
Lee
Savage
Hickey
Roberton
Carlisle
Weller
(Bruce)
Curren

:D
We've come a longgg way since end of 2013.

White may have been the only actual player I wanted over the drafts, but still very happy with our draft haul over the two drafts.

A couple of genuine accumulators in the midfield, a couple of back flanks with midfield potential (and elite kicks) and a developing backman. That's on top of a premier defender and potentially elite inside/out Shuey clone through trade.

Not sure its absolutely elite (what is this year?), but its a very very solid effort considering what we were playing with.

2015 offseason:

IN:
Carlisle
Freeman
Gresham
B.White
Rice
O'Kearney
Coughlan
Sinclair*
Saunders (r)*

OUT:
Schneider
Siposs
Markworth
S.White
Ray
Saunders*
Saad (r)
Sinclair (r)

That is brilliant IMO.

Agree fantastic every one is from the same mould, strong work ethic & character

Gee Omeara would look nice in that midfield next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched Coughlan's 2014 highlights. Love the way he uses both feet. Great asset to have in any position but particularly in defence with the forward press teams are putting on these days.

Have seen way too much in recent years of saints coming out of defence with great run but then having to turn back into traffic because they can't kick on their non-preferred (fisher, gilbert, gwilt, clarke were probably the worst offenders).

Liked a lot of his other attributes too.

Gresham, O'Kearney and Coughlan all top 10 for both goal kicking and field kicking at the combine.

Great gets Saints.

Question for the mods, when can we do the advocate draft, now that our list is complete for 2016?
I'd better get my man Gresh... :mad:

How do people feel this trade / draft period went compared to last years?
I think you need to weigh up the draft picks and quality of players for each year.

In saying that I believe we have done very, very well with what we had at our disposal.

Gresham looks like he will be an excellent player who will play many games for us. I think in hindsight that sliding down the first round didnt cost as much as we all thought. We have got our talls covered and after the academy kids we got around the 3rd best small/medium available. Certainly has speed and agility, good disposal, an eye for goal and good skills. Vic Metro MVP and carnival coaches awards aren't received by ordinary players.

White looks like he could be a real steal to me. Great size, skills and understanding of the game. Can sense something really special with this one

Rice looks like he has the tools to make it also. Cost us not much at all, and could have gone much earlier according to most and is a Father Son as well which is Fantastic!

O'Kearney looks to be another good player who accumulates plenty of ball and has speed. Kicking looks a bit 50/50 from short vision I have seen. However, a guy who can win his own ball and run and carry at a high possession rate is more than welcome IMO.

Saunders I know we had committed to re-drafting, however I think if Josh can get a good run at it that he can still be a good AFL player. Just needs some luck, so I hope he gets it.

So overall, yeah I am pretty happy with the lot. Add in Carlisle and Freeman and it is an improvement on last season in my eyes. However, as with all draftees and injury cursed players, TIME WILL TELL ALL!

Looking forward to seeing this bunch pull on the RW&B of the Mighty Saints!⚪⚫

I think you need to weigh up the draft picks and quality of players for each year.

In saying that I believe we have done very, very well with what we had at our disposal.

Gresham looks like he will be an excellent player who will play many games for us. I think in hindsight that sliding down the first round didnt cost as much as we all thought. We have got our talls covered and after the academy kids we got around the 3rd best small/medium available. Certainly has speed and agility, good disposal, an eye for goal and good skills. Vic Metro MVP and carnival coaches awards aren't received by ordinary players.

White looks like he could be a real steal to me. Great size, skills and understanding of the game. Can sense something really special with this one

Rice looks like he has the tools to make it also. Cost us not much at all, and could have gone much earlier according to most and is a Father Son as well which is Fantastic!

O'Kearney looks to be another good player who accumulates plenty of ball and has speed. Kicking looks a bit 50/50 from short vision I have seen. However, a guy who can win his own ball and run and carry at a high possession rate is more than welcome IMO.

Saunders I know we had committed to re-drafting, however I think if Josh can get a good run at it that he can still be a good AFL player. Just needs some luck, so I hope he gets it.

So overall, yeah I am pretty happy with the lot. Add in Carlisle and Freeman and it is an improvement on last season in my eyes. However, as with all draftees and injury cursed players, TIME WILL TELL ALL!

Looking forward to seeing this bunch pull on the RW&B of the Mighty Saints!⚪⚫
I think you missed something... ;)

I presume Dan Markworth didn't get picked up?
A shame.

Guess it confirms we made the right call though.
He had plenty of time.

good luck to him, seems switched on.

I agree, but just running the numbers our squad average height is now 187.93cm.

I can't find more up to date info but in 2009 the average height of an AFL footballer was 188cm so maybe we're not as short as we think......

Using an average like that is misleading. (ie using a teams average height in comparison to an entire competition average)

It would be more valid to take our 187.93 and see how it compares to each other team (ie where we sit on a ladder of team average heights).

Of course this isn't a definitive method either- just a more valid indicator.

I was at Seaford today to see our new sponsor and recruits, and I was thinking, that it maybe finally the start, of us becoming another power in the AFL.

It sounds like I have been drinking, but it was not that long ago that Hawthorn had very few members, and not the juggernaut it is today, and I have never seen the plethora of sponsors that are committing to us, along with some exciting players that will hopefully bring our next premiership.

I cannot wait for the season to start to see some new faces, and climb further up the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back