Analysis Overall Trade/Draft discussion 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Long term high quality KPF during the trade period.

Small forward and a potential Hurn/Dew type on the list proper.

A semi fatty boomstick and a small ball magnet that seem to be genuine footballers and not athletic types that kind of know what footy is on the rookie list.

What's not to like about it.

Happy with those couple of Westies players added to our list. Helps to offset losing some of our talent to Glenelg. Will be big competition for AFL spots this year so these new recruits, and a few players with questions next to their names, need to perform. I can't see us holding on to non performers.

1. Have we improved our list for 2016?

mr-burns-yyyyes-o.gif

2. Have we improved our potential for 2017-18?

mr-burns-yyyyes-o.gif

3. Overall assessment of the trade/draft period

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-season-2015-the-washup-20151127-gla2nk.html

Emma Quayle in The Age on the draft washup:

"THE WINNERS
We won't know for a while, will we? ....and while Port got lucky with Riley Bonner making it into the 30s, they got in him and Aidyn Johnson some pace and excitement.
THE BARGAINS
They turned up in the 30s. Riley Bonner (Port Adelaide, pick 37) got down a fair way. Mitchell Hibberd (North Melbourne, 33) was great value as were Cole (36) and Balic (38). Brisbane might not have got Rhys Mathieson at 39 had clubs bid earlier on Hipwood and Keays. Brandon White (40) and Aidyn Johnson (45) are others.."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-season-2015-the-washup-20151127-gla2nk.html

Emma Quayle in The Age on the draft washup:

"THE WINNERS
We won't know for a while, will we? ....and while Port got lucky with Riley Bonner making it into the 30s, they got in him and Aidyn Johnson some pace and excitement.
THE BARGAINS
They turned up in the 30s. Riley Bonner (Port Adelaide, pick 37) got down a fair way. Mitchell Hibberd (North Melbourne, 33) was great value as were Cole (36) and Balic (38). Brisbane might not have got Rhys Mathieson at 39 had clubs bid earlier on Hipwood and Keays. Brandon White (40) and Aidyn Johnson (45) are others.."

:)

What we managed to draft in, despite losing our first round pick for Dixon, is quite amazing (on paper at least, anyway).

Loved our offseason. Dixon and Toumpas can play straight away and have a massive impact. Our National and Rookie drafts were one of the best in the league. Bonner is a top 15 talent in my eyes and for us to get him at 37 second to Harley Balic at 38 for the steal of the draft. Johnson has been injured a bit but has super pace and skills. Snelling was a huge get in the rookie draft. MVP and Captain in the championship carnival. Hewett and Houstan really good project players. The most encouraging thing about our list and the offseason is that we have as many as 35 players who can play senior footy every week. Competition for spots and quality list depth. Bring on 2016.

The answer to the first two questions is yes because Dixon. The rest is way too early to tell.
Yep take out Dixon and its only so so at this stage.

Yes, the 2016 playing list was improved after the trade period and the finalised delistings i.e. even before the drafts

Unsure. In addition to the honourable retirees we got rid of a lot of players I considered deadwood (a process to be finalised next year). Now it depends whether those we took in the draft and the rookie draft have what it takes.

Mature, professional. It always takes 2-3 years to see all the ramifications flow through and gaining Dixon but losing Moore (untraded) will be looked back at then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We delisted Shaw (198) Harvey(197), Redden(205) and bought Dixon(200), Bonner(191), Johnson(184), Toumpas (183) onto our senior list. We have one untried genuine back up ruckman on our Senior and Rookie Lists which is puzzling.

We gained Dixon and Toumpas but importantly we did not lose a 'must keep' player which is the big plus.

Well we got the critical deal done with Dixon so overall positive, but to be honest not all that enthusiastic about the rest of our work.

Toumpas, I am very sceptical of. Ok, he's essentially a free swing so I am not going to cry about it, but he has shown nothing at Melbourne or in the VFL that indicates the over the top excitement from some on here. He may benefit by being in a stronger side, but going off past form I expect he will be well down the pecking order. I wish him the best and hope he can regain the kind of form he displayed as a junior, but if we're being honest his game has gone to water ever since and it is for that reason I am not going in with high expectations.

Pleased with how the national draft went. I think Bonner has demonstrated about as much as he could that he can make it with his performances throughout the championships and senior SANFL level. Doesn't fill an immediate need in our side, but the elite kick on him is going to be an asset that should be very handy for us. Needs to improve a fair bit to develop the defensive side to his game, if he can do that then the Birchall comparisons will be spot on. If he is unable to do that, then looking at a Trent McKenzie type with an awesome kick, but very one-dimensional. That's a reasonable result from the pick we used to acquire him.

Johnson looks a likely type. Good game sense, willing to work his arse off defensively and possesses excellent pace. Hopefully can develop greater substance to his game in finding it more often and from the highlights I've seen his skills are a little agricultural. Aaron Young is probably a good comparison.

Rookie draft I wasn't so enamoured with. It's hard to see Snelling being successful at AFL level. At that height, I think you need either some serious acceleration or at least possess a stocky sort of build like a Caleb Daniel or Keiran Lovell which isn't going to be buffeted around. His skills aren't as much of a standout as I would have hoped either. Hewett's got the size and versatility, but his game just doesn't look natural to me. Looks a bit awkward disposing of the ball by both hand and foot. I do like the look of Houston from the highlights, his best is clearly very good but the knock on him is that when he isn't playing well he can be a bit of a non-factor.

Don't want to sound too negative but would have liked to see us target a key position player or at least a greater emphasis on the midfield as circumstances meant that the main draft wasn't an option for picking one up (Bonner being too good to let through and clearly Johnson was a guy we had done a heap of work with and were set on). In defence of the recruiting team they obviously felt that none of the options for the aforementioned positions were more worthy than the boys we picked up and may well be proven right in the long run.

As I said though, Dixon was the critical success factor and we've now got a hulking figure with a healthy dose of mongrel (TM) that clunks marks and is a safe set shot for goal up front for the next eight years. So if that works out as it hopefully will, there's no reason to not be happy with the big picture.

Dixon - GOD
Toumpas - decent trade, but GEAD Garry Lyon factor is high
Bonner - Great pick, but gee, really really wishing we'd courted offers for one of our HBFs in trade period though,
Johnson - I am pretty unconvinced on this one
Snelling - Yep, picked at the right place in the draft, he could be a goer.
Hewett - Meh
Houston - Meh

1. Arguably yes weve got rid of tall dead weight in harvey, shaw and redden bringing in a star in dixon. Cleared out our rookies and brought in more speed and ball use at the expense of moore and logan who sprayed it every chance they got

2. Yes snelling and johnson mainly shouldnt play first year though we should set them up for development as are hewett. Bonner i believe will play first year.

3. We picked up ready made players in snelling dixon toump and arguably bonner. Development in hewett johnson houston. Whilst stilll clearing out deadwood. On paper one of our best off season ina long time

Finally got a KPF gotta love this, Thompus could be anything and cost us nothing.

I am over the moon with getting Bonner, I believe this kid will be a gun.

I don't see what they see in Johnson, seems to be a bit fumbley and just chuck the ball on the boot at times.

Love the Snelling punt , but jeeeezzzz we needed a developing ruck.

7/10

We got the key forward we have lacked for years, so anything after getting Dixon was a bonus. Toumpas could be anything so he's pretty much a free swing. I don't follow the kids in the draft but from what I've read we've done exceptionally well. All up very stoked with our draft/trade period now I feel our list is where it should be, it's finally complete so no excuse going forward for me.

Dixon - very good pick up
Toumpas - good back up at this stage
Bonner - Good pick up and hopeful two hundred game player.
Johnson - Do not know
Snelling - Worth the punt
Hewett - Do not know much about
Houston - this pick is interesting. A smaller Jake Skinner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back